M is for Marriage
We got married in July of 1965… almost 49 years ago. I was 20 and John was barely 23.
John and I got engaged in the spring of 1965. We were both college students at Brigham Young University. We were in our 3rd year of college but still had 2 years until graduation. We only had part time jobs and barely enough savings for the next year's tuition. We were poor but we were so in love that didn't seem to matter.
![]() |
| This picture was taken right after we got engaged. |
It was a custom in your dorm back then to announce your engagement by gathering everyone in a circle and passing around a lit candle with the ring on it.
The room was filled with suspense as the candle was passed from person to person around the circle. Finally, the engaged girl, in this case me, blew out the candle and everyone cheered. I was so excited to have my candle passing ceremony.... Can you tell from the look on John's face that he just came along for the ride to make me happy.
| Our wedding party |
All of the fairy tales I knew of ended with the princess getting married to her prince and then saying “..and they lived happily ever after”. I expected the “happy ever after”.
| John and Lura today |
After all of these years I’ve learned enough about marriage to know that “happy ever after” doesn’t just happen…it takes lots of work and patience. I was shocked when John and I had our first argument. I knew felt I was right…. and he was wrong…. and I was determined to prove it to him. We had quite a few arguments in our early years of marriage. Then we learned a wonderful fact that changed our lives and made our marriage so much happier.
It is better to be loving than to prove you are right.
John and I love each other more now than we did when we were married. We love each other more each year. We are thankful we both survived the terrible accident 3 years ago that should have killed us both. We value our time together enough to overlook the little things that aggravate us and focus on the things we love about each other.
I wish more people valued marriage today. It makes me sad how many young people think living together is as good as marriage. It is not. Knowing that you are both committed enough to the relationship to enter into the bonds of matrimony makes all the difference. When our marriage got rocky at times, John and I worked out our differences because we did not want to give up on our marriage vows. Even after all these years, we are still working on it.

We were married in the Los Angeles Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints (Mormon)temple for time and all eternity.... not until death do us part. (Click Here to learn more about our faith)
We are an eternal family unit but we know that today is part of eternity.
As we travel along life's journey we may at times hurt each other's feelings or have a disagreement... but we work it out ASAP.
We don't let it fester and go on for days like we sometimes did when we were young.
We want to make it right with each other and with God.
We know our time together is too precious and fleeting to be filled with contention.
You can not have the spirit of the Lord with you if you are contentious.
We remember that is it better to be loving than to prove a point.
That is one of our secrets to having a happy marriage. What is your advice?
Hugs, Grammy











10 comments:
Awww look at you two! This is so precious! This is the first time I have heard of the ring on candle thing, it's a cute practice!
God bless u both. I went all aww reading this. Please say hi to John from my side !
Thats a great lesson whch we all need to know- It is better to love than to prove ur point! loved the pics
Dropping by from A to Z -http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.in/
I have never heard of the candle passing ceremony. I like it! Though my wife was well out of college we we got married (I was still in grad school).
--
Timothy S. Brannan
The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches
I was a year old when you were married:) I love older pictures and I agree with you even though I am living common-law(egad!). I believe that as soon as you live with someone you are romantically inclined with, you have a commitment to your partner and yourself to give 100%. You can be right but you can also be alone. It takes work, patience, understanding and not let ones insecurities get the better of you. So many get married, I think, for that wedding day and don't realize that afterwards comes the real life. I also see so many in their 20's who still live at home and have everything done for them by their parents and feel entitled to it. They are not mature to have any relationship never mind getting married. Just my thoughts:) Have a beautiful day! It is snowing here
What a beautiful entry... Happy 49yrs together... hubby and I will celebrate 22 yrs this summer... visiting via the A to Z challenge... :)
How lovely and personable to share your MARRIAGE for M. Great A to Z choice !
Aww, this is so sweet! <3 Congratulations on almost 50 years. :) Lots of love and hugs! Beautiful pictures and story. :) The candle-passing event is new to me as well!
What a great testament the two of you are to marriage. Congratulations!
My John and I learned early on to value our time together much more than right fighting. Its all about making happy memories.
doreenmcgettigan.com
49 years! That is wonderful. I enjoyed the photos of you and John when you were young...so cute!
You are right there is a lot to learn about being happily married.
Smiling is one of my tricks to happiness. Smiling changes hearts-even your own!
What a lovely story and what a beautiful family you have:-)
<a href="http://silencingthebell.blogspot.co.uk”>martine@silencingthebell</a>
Post a Comment