Thursday, April 3, 2014

A to Z challenge…. C is for China


A2Z-BADGE-0002014-small_zps8300775c

Click on this badge if you would like to see other    A to Z challenge blogs



C is for China
China
I’m not talking about the country of China with the great wall… even though that is a great place and I hope to go back for a visit again some day.
IMG_2702

I’m talking about dinner china. I just love setting tables with it.
IMG_2699
I’ve been collecting different pieces of it for years. Some are special gifts from dear friends.
IMG_2705
Some are treasured pieces handed down from my mom and my mother-in-law.
IMG_2710IMG_2711
IMG_2707IMG_2708
I have 3 china cabinets to store my dishes in…. and you can tell from how crowded they are I need to get a 4th.
IMG_2712IMG_2715
This is the pattern on my original wedding china. It is Whitebrook by Noritake. Through our 49 years of marriage some pieces have gotten chipped and as our children married and our family grew I needed more place settings.
Unfortunately, my pattern was discontinued shortly after we got married in 1965 and I have not been able to replace it.
IMG_2718IMG_2723
However, I found this Lovelace pattern by Crown Victoria that is similar to my wedding china.
IMG_2703IMG_2721
I think the two patterns blend together well.
IMG_7458IMG_6201IMG_6202
With the two patterns, I now have enough good china to set 3 tables of 8 when all 24 of our family come for holiday dinners. I just love setting pretty tables for friends and family.
IMG_2706
During the week, John and I just use our every day Corelleware by Corning… but…
IMG_2709
…For Sunday dinners, holiday dinners or when family and friends come to eat, I get out the good stuff.  I want my family and guests to know that having them come is a special occasion and they deserve the best I have to offer.
I know in the whole scheme of things, having dinner china is low on the priorities list…. after all…. they are just things.
Could I live without my china??? Of course I could, but using it makes me smile. That is why I picked China for my C choice today.
IMG_0215IMG_6014
(Actually I wanted to tell you about Calan and Claire, two of my grand kids, but I used them for last year’s challenge so I decided to do china this year. Would any of you have noticed if I’d “double done” the kids? Probably not.)
Have a great day. Hugs, Grammy Lura

12 comments:

Paula said...

Found you through A to Z. You are the last name on the list and I am going to start there and work my way up. I have my mother-in-laws China that came from occupied Japan. It is beautiful . Thanks for sharing your china and your beautiful grandchildren!

M.C.V. EGAN said...

Great post! Loved the images as well. I love China especially antiques #a2zchallenge. I went with carrots and carrot cake, feel free to visit me at http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/

Ryshia Kennie said...

China - love the post and the picture of the great wall. The dishes reminded me of the beautiful china both my mom and grandma had. I only have a few pieces now but they take me to a gentler age.

EvalinaMaria said...

Good luck with the challenge!
Evalina, This and that...

Unknown said...

Yes china is nice to make people feel special. Your sets are beautiful.

Moondustwriter

Bonnie Gwyn said...

I love beautiful china. :) I also love good people who share their testimonies, and it warmed my heart just to open your blog, because I knew right off that you share my faith. We had a Priest/Laurel dinner recently and brought out the china - and it made the night feel so magical. So thank you for sharing a passion, and your wonderful family! :) God bless.
Bonnie Gwyn
http://bonniegwyn.blogspot.com/

bettyj said...

Love this. My daughter is like you and loves china. She collects Clarice Clift in different colors, mostly blue. Don't know how many sets she has. Love your pretty tables and I bet your family and friends do feel special.

betty said...

How sweet that you set a pretty table for Sundays and holidays! When we got married, I never registered for any china, wasn't sure if we wanted it or not. Didn't really get any over the years either; just used Corelle like you do and some other things. Hubby's parents have both passed within the past 2 years and he inherited one of their houses and the 2 china sets, so now I guess we got china, except we haven't used them yet and I'm not sure I ever will. I think if you had featured your grandchildren this year it would still have been fun, especially since they grew in the year and there are always new people joining the challenge :)

betty

Kris said...

Hello Lura. I hope this finds you feeling better. I also love china. Although I don't have but service for 4 of my China. I do, however, have several other sets of dishes. Antique, and otherwise, I have lots and lots of dishes! I love to set a pretty table too!
Take care Lura. I hope you are on the mend!!
xo Kris

Patricia Stoltey said...

Making my rounds on the A to Z and enjoyed this China post. Made me think of the trips my aunt and I made to old antique shops in the Ozarks of Missouri where she hunted for cut glass and I searched out random pieces of Haviland. I don't have any of it anymore.

Marie Rayner said...

Love your china Lura. My mother never had a set of china dishes and I have never really had a set either. I always wanted one. Yours is beautiful. My ex boss had several sets, each very beautiful. I think my favourite "C's" of yours are Calan and Claire however. Love your family. xxoo

Cheryl Wright said...

I love china and you have some beautiful sets. I collect crystal. When you use certain dishes for particular occasions they end up holding special memories.