Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A to Z Challenge…. N is for Nachos

a to z 2
This is the 14th day of our A to Z Challenge. We are up to the letter N and I came up with Nothing.  Nothing starts with N …. but I wasn’t sure that would work.
Then I got hungry.  I wanted something tasty for our lunch but I’m lazy  I have very little energy since I’ve been sick.  John has been doing most of the cooking since I got out of the hospital but he was working on business. I didn’t want to wait for him to finish his project,  so I decided to throw together some nachos. That is when it came to me…… I had my N post after all.
A2Z-BADGE-0002014-small_zps8300775c
N is for Nachos
I admit that this is not a profound subject…. but…. they surely do taste good and make an easy meal when you are in a rush…. or just being lazy. This is the way this gringo throws together a delicious plate of Nachos.
2014-04-15 15.08.232014-04-15 15.14.04
I put the desired amount of tortilla chips on a paper plate.( I use a paper plate because the melted cheese can be hard to wash off a dinner plate… do not use Styrofoam plates because they will melt ) I top the tortilla chips with the desired amount of Mexican Style shredded cheeses.
2014-04-15 15.17.00
I spoon chili with beans on top of the chips and cheeses.  Put the paper plate on a cookie sheet and bake the nachos in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until the cheeses are melted and the chili is hot.
2014-04-15 15.19.252014-04-15 15.22.55
I fix the toppings while the nachos are in the oven.  We like to have avocado with our nachos. We like it sliced or made into guacamole. Our trees are giving us such big avocados this year one is all I needed to make both .
2014-04-15 15.30.21
I also cut up green onions and a tomato. I like to serve fruit with Nachos so I get that ready too.
2014-04-15 15.34.492014-04-15 15.36.53
I get out salsa ,Jalapenos and sour cream for the final touches on my nacho creation. (I prefer homemade salsa but store bought works fine.)
2014-04-15 15.39.37
I top the tortillas, melted cheeses and chili with the salsa, guacamole, avocado, tomatoes, onions, sour cream and jalapenos. Sometimes I also add black olives.
I put a little fruit on the side …. And…. waa.la…. I’ve made a  tasty meal in just a few minutes.  It has another benefit too…. It is far too messy for John to eat while working on the computer so he has to come out of his office and join me for lunch.  Tasty lunch… easy to fix… John’s company….
Yep Nachos are a winner at our house. We don’t have them too often because of the calories but they were a hit today.  (I like to use turkey chili and light sour cream to cut down on calories. I don’t use the fat free cheese because it doesn’t melt well.)
Like I said, this is not a profound post today but I hope you think that
Nachos are better than Nothing.
Hugs, Grammy Lura

6 comments:

Sally said...

Wow, you grow your own avocados, how fantastic. A great lunch with the added bonus that your husband has to take a break and join you for a while. Hope you feel better soon.

betty said...

Oh I "envy" you to have an avocado tree! Those nachos look delicious and what a great way to get your hubby to have lunch with you!

betty

Birgit said...

Your own avocado tree-wow- and your meal looks delicious. Sometimes the best meals are ones made up fast. Hope you are recovering well

bettyj said...

WOW! NOTHING Nacho's(LOL) sure look good to me. My little Amelia loves avacado. She is 10 mos. I have had fun with this but have to post my n later. It will be on neglect. I hope you are feeling stronger each day.

Kris said...

Yum. I think I can taste them.
BTW the avocados you guys gave us were amazing. The one where the seed rolls around inside, I think your favorite, was delicious. They all were.

For "N" I am grateful for "N"ice people like you and John!

Paula said...

They look wonderful. I love avocados but every time I eat one I get sick. So I gave them up years ago.....but I would love to have an avocado tree in my yard. Or a lemon tree!