Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A to Z challenge..... H is for Home

a to z 2
H is for Home
In the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy said “There is no place like home.”  I  was just a girl when I saw this movie for the first time and even then I knew that her words were true. At the time my mom was struggling to support us on the meager wage of $1.00 per hour. We lived in a tiny 2 room apartment…. but it was filled with love and it was home.
This is our home now.
IMG_1752IMG_1755
Our home is much larger than the one I lived in when I heard Dorothy (Judy Garland) say those words. Our home is not new…. we have lived here for almost 34 years. It is not as grand as the new homes they are building today. It is not extravagant or fancy…. but I love it because it is HOME.
IMG_1744
This is our living room and dining room. We greet our guests here and have our formal meals at this table. Our dining room furniture was among the first furniture we bought as newlyweds. I loved it then and I still do.  For over 4 decades we have celebrated special occasions at that table…. so many memories have been made there.
Erin's Reception  8-5-06021021
However, this table in our “breakfast room” is where we eat most of our family evening meals. I don’t know why we call it our breakfast room because we rarely eat breakfast there…. oh well…. many a dinner has been eaten in this room that is rich with memories too.
IMG_1737
They say that the kitchen is the heart of the home and I guess it is since the family is nourished through this room. The place where the ovens are now used to be my food pantry. I had a tiny oven on the other side of the kitchen. John knew I really needed big ovens so he remodeled the kitchen for me. He made me a food pantry where the old oven used to be and put the big ovens here. I love the change. Actually we eat breakfast at this kitchen bar so maybe we should call this the “breakfast room”.
IMG_1741IMG_1742
This family room is where we spend most of our time. It is my favorite room I think. You can see my holiday tree in the corner. I decorate it for each season of the year. I enjoy it all year long.
IMG_0237

This recliner in the corner of the family room is where I sit to watch TV, do hand work and work on my laptop computer. It is where I am sitting right now.


IMG_1763
We have 5 bedrooms. This one is our bedroom
IMG_1767IMG_0510
These two are guest bedrooms now that the kids are gone. We’ve made the other two bedrooms into an office for John and a sewing room for me. They are both too messy to show you a picture… sorry about that.
IMG_1740Erin's Reception  8-5-06018018
Our game room used to be filled with kids and fun when our 4 kids lived at home. Now that they are gone this room gets used as a buffet room more than anything else.  It is nice to use when we have parties and when all the kids come home for Thanksgiving.
IMG_1766
The main thing I would like to change about our home is the bathrooms and closets. They just did not build as big of closets and beautiful bathrooms 30 years ago as they do now. However, I feel lucky that we have 3 bathrooms. Growing up as a girl we lived in one apartment that didn’t have it’s own bathroom. We had to go down the hall and share a bathroom with other renters on that floor. After that, we always had our own bathroom… but never more than one. I guess I’d better not complain about our bathrooms too loudly.
Even though our home is not elegant I love it. I feel “at home” here…. I feel at peace here. We’ve raised our 4 children here…. John and I have grown old together here. Within these walls are a million memories…. most of them happy ones.
We have been blessed to be able to travel to many countries of the world and visit wonderful places….. but when it comes right down to it…. I agree whole heartedly with Dorothy…. THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!
Tell me about your home.

14 comments:

Megan said...

What a lovely home you have. I am sure many memories have been shared here.

SM Blooding said...

Wow! Your home is so lovely! I am ENVIOUS of your kitchen. I literally have a closet bigger than my kitchen. It's not joke. Actually, I have two of them bigger than my kitchen. It's gorgeous!

A Joyful Chaos said...

I really enjoyed the tour of your home! It's lovely.

Paula said...

I loved the tour of your home and how you related it to the Wizard of Oz....I live in Kansas and have never seen the movie, if you can believe that. But plenty of times I have heard "We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto" We have 3 bathrooms in our house as well and it is not unusual for all to be busy at once. I grew up with just one bathroom too...in a family of 7! Can't imagine how we did it.

Helen Baggott said...

What a lovely home you have. Mine? Three floors, stuffed full of books and photos!

Chrys Fey said...

When I was younger, I moved a lot. My childhood home was foreclosed so my family moved into a rented home. Then apartment after apartment. At one point I moved in with my sister's and stayed in spare bedrooms, and then a trailer. I can finally say I have a home now and it's true . . . when you have a place to call home (even if it's not a house), nothing is quite like it. :)

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

It looks like a cozy, loving home.

betty said...

Thanks for the tour of your house! It looks really roomy and decorated with lots of love! Neat too with the 3 bathrooms, came in handy with your 4 kids I am sure!

betty

Anonymous said...

You have such a lovely home. And ofcourse lots of memories associated with it :)

Buttercup said...

So enjoyed seeing your home. Know that there is a lot of love there. I've got a three room apartment and I am happy with it. It's cozy and roomy for one person. I'd like an extra bedroom for company, but I will need to win the lottery for that.

Take good care. You are in my prayers every day!

Dee said...

There is definitely no place like home and yours looks really great! :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

What a nice home you have! And to think you've been there over 30 years! The home I'm living in now is the one I've been in the longest, and that's only 15 years.

Bonnie Gwyn said...

You have such a beautiful home!! Thanks for the tour. :) We're still building ours in the forest, but we're living in it as we go. Having little definitely helps you appreciate every bit of progress! <3

Marie Rayner said...

You have a beautiful home Lura. God willing I will be able to have breakfast in your kitchen one day and enjoy the other parts of your home. I am working on the dream. Not giving up. Love you. xxoo