Sunday, April 20, 2014

A to Z challenge….. R is for Redeemer and Resurrection

a to z 2
The Christian world just celebrated the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
2014-04-20 14.43.312014-04-20 14.46.09
We joined together with our daughter Mindy and her family to attend church and worship. The beautiful music and talks we heard during the Easter program touched my heart.
A2Z-BADGE-0002014-small_zps8300775c
With these thoughts fresh in my mind, my choice for
my R post is  Redeemer and Resurrection
Jesus
Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.
Richard G. Scott , one of our church leaders, expressed the feelings of Easter better than I can. He said …
EASTER
Easter is that sacred season when the heart of each devout Christian turns in humble gratitude to our beloved Savior.  It is a season that should bring peace and joy to all who love Him and show it by obeying His commandments.””Easter brings thoughts of Jesus, His life, His Atonement, His Resurrection, His Love.”
bible
“This Easter, as you remember the resurrection and the price paid and the gift given through the atonement, ponder what the scriptures teach of those sacred events. Your personal witness of their reality will be strengthened.”
scriptures-eye-glasses-758818-gallery
I have tried to take Elder Scott’s advice this Easter season by reading scriptures about Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection.  There are many to choose from.
In the Old Testament in Job 19 we read “I know that my Redeemer lives and He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth”
We have a hymn that uses Job’s text and says “ I know that my Redeemer lives. What comfort that sweet sentence gives.”  I am thankful that I know that He lives. Like the hymn says, it is a great comfort. It means everything to me.
In the New Testament, in John 11:25,  Jesus told Martha  "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.”
7a21
  In the 24th chapter of Luke  angels announce the resurrection of Christ after his death.  Romans 5 tells us that man is justified through the blood of Christ. Adam fell and Christ atoned that man might be saved.  That makes Jesus our Redeemer. He redeemed us from the fall of Adam. By taking our sins upon himself He satisfied the demands of justice and made it possible for us to repent and inherit eternal life. We will all be resurrected because Jesus broke the bands of death.
scriptures-manuals-337602-gallery
In Mosiah chapters 15 and 16  in the Book of Mormon, which is another testament of Christ, Abinadi tells us that after Christ is crucified He will break the bands of death, having gained victory over death and giving Jesus power to make intercession for the children of men.  In 15: 11 Abinadi tells us that all the holy prophets have prophesied concerning the coming of the Lord. In 16:8 Abinadi tells us “…There is a resurrection therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ.”
Today in church, my grand daughter Claire sang “I stand all Amazed” by Charles Gabriel. I love that hymn. The first verse says…
I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me.
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.
The third verse says…
I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.
Chorus..
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me enough to die for me.
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me.
I do stand all amazed when I think of my Redeemer and his Resurrection.  I believe that He lives and loves us… and ….through Him, all mankind is saved from the bands of death.
Hugs, Lura 

9 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I cannot sing that hymn without tears coming to my eyes. From the very first time I heard it and sang it, that has happened. It touches my heart in a very special way. I, too, am so very grateful for the Saviours love and great gift to us all. I can never hope to fully repay Him for it, but the good news is that I don't have to. All I have to do is follow His example and teachings. He does the rest. Praise God!

Birgit said...

I am so glad that you find comfort and strength through these teachings. I am certain your grand daughter reduced a few people to tears with her heavenly and gifted voice

Kris said...

I stand all amazed too. Jesus Christ is the greatest gift ever given to mankind. I am so grateful for and to Him. Thank you for the wonderful post.
Happy Easter (a day late~but don't you think we could say it everyday?)

Cathyjo said...


A lovely post as always.....Sorry not feeling the best these days.....congested . ((HUGS))

betty said...

I am so thankful that Jesus indeed is our redeemer and ransomed us and redeemed us!

betty

Visits With Mary said...

Wonderful post Lura. I am so blessed to know Jesus as my Redeemer. I think it s just awesome that the letter R fell at Easter!

Gloria Baker said...

Lovely Lura !

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hi Lura -- this post is a beautiful recognition of the meaning of Easter. I can only imagine how beautifully your granddaughter sang.

Marcy said...

I Stand All Amazed is one of my favorite Hymns. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and favorite verses. Our choir director mentioned on Sunday about how when he was in Russia as a missionary, the tradition there on Easter was to greet everyone by saying "He is Risen!" Isn't that a lovely way to celebrate?