In our A to Z challenge today we are up to the letter W
My choice for W is Weekend
Doesn’t everyone love the Weekend??
All the years that I was teaching the Weekend had special significance and was greatly looked forward to each week. Now that I am retired it is not quite the same.
Since our orchard and yard demanded most of John’s Saturday time….
…The house work responsibilities fell on me. With only 1 day to get all my housework done I was busy from morning to night on Saturday.
We have a big house to clean. When the kids were at home they knew that Saturday morning was chore time. (Now it is up to me and I miss their help.)
The beds had to be changed…….The wash had to be done.
The patios needed to be swept.
The garden always needed attention…. etc., etc.,etc.
Saturday evening our teenagers usually went off to a church dance or activity which left John and me free to go on a date.
However, we were both so tired by the end of the day that our date was usually going to the grocery store together to buy our food for the week…. sometimes we would get an ice cream cone afterwards.
That was our Saturday part of the Weekend.
Sunday was entirely different.
Sunday is the Sabbath and we try to do as the scriptures say and keep it holy.
We attend church 3 hours each Sunday. I know that sounds like a long time but it is divided up into 3 meetings and the time goes quickly.
The first hour we attend Sacrament meeting. We partake of the Lord’s sacrament and listen to talks (sermons) given by the membership.
The second hour we divide up into age groups and go to Sunday school or primary classes for the children where we study the scriptures.
The third hour the teens go to their youth meetings, the men go to their priesthood meeting and the women go to their Relief Society meeting.
I love attending church each week. It gives me the spiritual uplift I need to get through the week.
After church we always have dinner with our daughter and her family. In the past years we took turns. They would come to our house one week ….
…and we would go to there house the next week.
I like that schedule best…. but since I’ve been sick this whole year so far… we have gone to Mindy and Ernie’s every Sunday. I hate to impose on Mindy but they insist that we come each week. We enjoy the meal and the sweet company even more. I hope their schedule and my health will allow us to get back to our old routine soon.
That is how I use to spend our Weekend…… but not any more.
Sunday is still exactly the same but not Saturday…. no, no, no!!!
Retirement has changed our Saturdays dramatically. Since we have all week to clean, wash, garden, do yard work and shop we don’t have to crowd it in on one day.
So what do we do on Saturday? Whatever we want!
What do you do on your Weekend???







7 comments:
I liked all the pictures, but especially the one of you outside hanging up all the linen. It is a never ending job, isn't it to get it all done? Seems like you had a nice routine for the weekends when the family was still at home. Its good to get to the place where you can enjoy planning your days how you want them without being obligated like on a working schedule.
Saturdays we grocery shop and do what needs to be done. Sunday we go to church and then relax in the afternoons :)
have a good day!
betty
Oh my, the chores-I remember them and now I see so many children lay around and play on their phones etc... and not help at all. I wish I could hang my clothing out on a line-it just smells fresher. I work full time so Saturday is a day to get things done as best as I can and then we can rest. You know, when I watch shows about a long life and they showcase different places in the world, they have great genes, great outlook on life, eating good food and faith.
It was lovely peeping into your weekends...then and now !!
My weekend is not unlike your one..Although on a Saturday after Mary Peter and I have goe to our fav. cafe for breakfast...(I have porridge with salt on Mary with a Banana and Peter a bacon baquette )!! I go on into Bath to visit my sister Margaret and help her get washed etc. as her care person dosn't come in on a Saturday...then it is home to just laze around !! Sunday is Chucrh in the morning and nowadasy Peter and I go out most weeks for a nice Sunday lunch. Before my dear Sister Sarah an dher husband John died we Always went there every week for Sunday dunner and after that ended Peter suggested we go out for dinner instead. Mary rarely comes with us as her church is further away then mine and she does not get home till much later...although havihg said that she has been with us these past 2 weeks as her usual driver is away on holiday...Peter ofte takes me a drive home after our lunch along the country lanes which is lovely..and so ends my favourite day of the week...Praying that the week ahead is a good one for you and John xxxx
Mostly I sleep in on Saturday. My only day to do it.
It sounds like you have lovely weekends and a wonderful family.
I agree with you on the teaching. It is very draining and exhausting. Although I am not retired, I love writing so much more!
Cheers,
Christine
Love your weekends. Can I retire soon????
Loves this post Lura. Like you, when I worked, Saturday was a chore, one chore after another. Sundays have always been a blessing to me. They have not changed and still are a blessing to me, but like you Saturdays are more fun now too. I wish I had family to share Sunday dinner with. You are so lucky! xxoo
Post a Comment