This is our 15th day of our A to Z challenge and we are up to the letter O.
O is for Opera
More specifically…. I’m talking about the LA Opera.
Normally, John and I are not Opera patrons….. or even opera fans. But this past year we attended 3 LA opera productions.
Is it because we became musically cultured???? NO…..
Our newly found fondness of the opera is because we went to support our 11 year old grand daughter in her performances.
Claire has an amazing voice. I tried all day to upload a recent video I made of her singing for you to enjoy… but no matter what I tried, nothing would work. So you will just have to take my word for it… or you could see an old video of her on You Tube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5068whIcnE Her video clip is entitled 8 year old Claire sings Solvejgs Lied in German
In the years since that You Tube clip was made Claire’s voice has gotten better and stronger. Last year she auditioned against hundreds of older girls to get a part in the opera Noah’s Flood.
She was one of the 3 girls selected to get a main part as one of Noah’s daughters-in-law.
She worked hard rehearsing and learned all the difficult music quickly.
She was in almost every scene, sang in many of the songs and even had 2 solo parts.
She loved being in the show and “ate up” the curtain calls.
She was sad when the show was over but didn’t have to wait long until she was busy at work again.
After working with Claire in Noah’s Flood, James Conlon, the music director of the LA Opera, invited Claire to be in Tosca.
Being in a LA Opera production is a big commitment for Claire and for the family
It is a 50 mile drive, in heavy traffic, to get Claire to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA for rehearsals, performances and to attend school the day after she worked late on a school night. John helped Mindy and Ernie drive Claire back and forth.
Tosca opened in May of 2013
Not that you can tell but Claire is the 3rd choir member on the left.
Tosca was a beautiful show.
Tosca was our 2nd opera in less than 2 months time. Do you think we looked more cultured?
Before Tosca was over, James Conlon invited Claire to be in Carmen….. but the offer came with a high price to be paid by Claire. Only little boy parts were available. In order to be in Carmen she would have to cut her hair to be no longer than chin length. Claire loved her beautiful long hair. She did not want to cut it short.
She cried…. she wanted to be in the show but she didn’t want to cut her hair. They had her wear a wig in Tosca but she was only in the 1st act of that production. Since she would be in acts 1,3,and 4 in Carmen, they would not pay her makeup artist to stay for the whole opera and take care of her wig and they don’t allow parents back stage to do it.
She wanted to be in the show badly enough that she decided to cut her hair. The family joined together and we had a “We love Claire without her hair” hair cutting party. She cut off 12 inches and donated it.
After working with Claire in one of the rehearsals, Placido Domingo kissed her on the forehead. She said that she would never wash her forehead again. I hope she has changed her mind about that.
Carmen opened in Sept. We went to see it on Oct. 4th.
I was so happy that my 3 children, 1 grand girl & D-I-L that live in Utah came to CA to support Claire in her role.
They knew how hard it was for Claire to cut off her hair and they wanted her to know they thought it was important enough to drive 700 miles to see her perform.
I got a couple of shots of Loni and Lynell before the show started.
Claire was a street urchin in acts 1 and 4 and a gypsy child in act 3.
She is the 2nd child on the left. She did a great job.
After the show we took time for a few more pictures…
… before Claire was whisk away to go to the cast party.
The kids in the show were told not to pester the stars but “Carmen” graciously signed Claire’s “Camp Carmen” hat and took time to poise for this picture with 2 of her young cast members. Claire was thrilled. Claire’s has opera in her blood now. Her dream is to become an opera star some day.
Now you can see why I choose Opera and our Opera singing Claire for my O post.
After attending 3 operas last year do you think we are opera fans now?
How do you feel about the opera?
Hugs, Grammy Lura
P.S. This is the 2nd time I’ve written this post. I finished it the first time at midnight and tried to publish it. It would not publish… and… it totally disappeared even though I had saved it. I went to bed and couldn’t sleep because I was disappointed all my work was for nothing. It is now 2:30 a.m. I got up an hour ago to redo the whole thing. I hope it will publish this time. Wish me luck. (Of course if you see this it published and I don’t need good luck wishes…. oh well… good luck wishes are always good to get.)







15 comments:
I am SO impressed with your grand daughter!!!! She has a brilliant voice as I listened to it and she was only 8 when she sang this. I love opera-now not a lover to sit through Wagner but so many beautiful arias and pieces come from Opera. It makes my heart skip with joy that a young girl loves to sing opera and loves to learn the language it is sung in. Most kids have no idea who Placido Domingo is. With the dance in the previous post and the singing here you should be so proud!!!! What is her favourite opera? Carmen? Lucia Di Lammermoor? (not sure of the spelling). Has she ever heard of Andre Rieu? he is a famous violinist and conducter of his own orchestra. I saw him in concert twice and it is amazing to see. he is always searching for talent...just saying. OK you made my day!!
My goodness Lura, what talent you have in that family of yours! How wonderful to be able to go see her in these productions.
Don't you just hate it when blogger messes with our long hard work of posting!!!
xo Kris
What a lovely voice your granddaughter has - opera is not my thing but I appreciate all the hard work she does to reach her dream. Good luck to her in the future.
Problems with Blogger seem to abound this month, my posts after D for some people didn't show up until yesterday and then showed up all at once, one of my commentators thought I had given up on the challenge!
What great opportunities for Claire! :) I'm in awe of all the talent in your family. :) Good luck with all you do! <3 <3 <3
I remember reading about Claire before and it's nice to read about her again and find out what happened to her after. What a talented young lady. :)
OH Lura how very mcuh pleasure you give me with all the lovely blogs you write. Each time I say "she can't get any better, can she ?" and then you do again and again...This one has been such a pleasure to read. Like you and Joh I am not such a lovet of opera (perhaps if it were mostly in English I would enjoy it more !) but if I lived anywher enear you I can bet I would be changing my ideas if I coudl just sit there and listen to that brilliant beautiful voice. By the way I know that it was very hard for her to cut her hair but I actually think she looks even prettier..if that were possible...with shorter hair...
I am so proud to be your friend and by default a friend of all your wonderful family. God Bless you All x xx
Her voice is amazing! I thought she was a woman...not just a girl! Wow!
It was so good meeting you all and putting hugs to faces!
Lura I remember watching her sing when you first posted that youtube video and how amazed I was that at her age she had chosen opera. She is a beautiful young woman with a great talent and I wish her every success. How could you not be proud of her dedication and sense of responsibility? I do believe she is even more beautiful with her hair shorter! blessings, marlene
Oh, Lura...I am still shaking at how beautiful that little 8 year old sings. I listened (twice) to the video and could not believe it was a beautiful child singing! How proud you must be! Who did she get that beautiful voice from? You? Her Mom or Dad or? I still can't believe it.
Thanks you for the comment on my post, too. I had so much trouble with blogger in Jan and Feb that I thought I would have to start a whole new blog. That is partly why I couldn't post...I could not access my "dashboard" for over a month and was so frustrated. It seems to be fixed now but I hold my breath every time I post!
Thanks for sharing your "O" and I wish I had known about that...I would have loved to join in (when Blogger was working, of course!)
{{HUGS}}
Joy
Congrats on having such an amazingly talented grandchild. I hope her career in music continues to grow.
Oh my goodness how proud you must be! She is precious. I loved the introduction she made on the video. What personality, and WHAT a voice. If you haven't gotten "cultured" by now, I am sure will, because I bet she has a future ahead, that you all can't even phantom! Nothing like our grands to get us involved in different things, is there?
Sorry about your blog problems, but glad you finally got this posted.
It's taken me a long time to really appreciate opera. When I was a kid I used to enjoy watching Amahl and the Night Visitors at Christmas time every year, but that was fairly light opera. For the most part I didn't care for opera until my 30's.
I don't listen to opera on a regular basis, but I do enjoy listening to it. I'd love to be able to go to see a production by the L.A. Opera or another local group. Maybe someday.
I can see why you're so proud of your granddaughter. What a great experience she's having at such a young age.
Lee
A Few Words
An A to Z Co-host blog
Thanks for your perseverance in writing this post as I've totally enjoyed reading it. What an amazing granddaughter you have! I'm loving your blog.
Sorry I didn't make it over here the day your O post went live. I'm running behind, as you can tell. However, I'm so glad I stopped by today and saw the story about your wonderfully talented granddaughter. I can see how much she wanted to be in Carmen to go ahead and cut her hair. Donating to a worthy cause surely helped. (Now on to read P and Q). :D
She is absolutely lovely and amazing girl Lura.
I understand you are really proud she is adorable!
xx
Post a Comment