E is for Energy
Energy is something that you don’t think about much until you don’t have it anymore.
When I was young I had lots of energy. I took it for granted, never thinking there would be a time when I didn’t have it.
I’ve been fortunate to be able to hold on to energy most of my life. I’ve had enough of it to enjoy caring for our grandchildren and traveling to beautiful places with my husband.
I was known as “Super Grammy” after making 17 superman capes for my little grandson’s birthday party.
I would work for days making pretty dresses for a granddaughter’s blessing or confirmation… (with matching ones for their dolls) I had plenty of energy.
Then 3 years ago my husband and I were in a terrible car accident. (I’ll probably tell you more about it in a future post)
My chest was crushed. I had 15 shattered ribs, a broken sternum and a collapsed lung. My husband had head injuries and many cuts and gashes. We were very lucky to be alive.
I was in bed recovering about 5 months. I had no energy. I was told to have patience. That it would take 2 or more years to recover.
They were right. Last summer, at the 2 1/2 years mark, I started getting some energy back. My kids gave me a Fitbit pedometer and walking shoes for my birthday. I was walking miles each day.
I had enough energy left over to can bottles and bottles of fruits from our orchard. It felt good to feel good again. Except for 1 broken rib that never healed, I was feeling almost back to normal.
However that didn’t last long. The 1st week of January I had a gallstone attack and had to have gall bladder surgery.
I got sicker and sicker each week after the surgery. I didn’t know it but I had a bile duct leak that was filling me up with infection. This went on for 5 weeks.

When I broke out with a terrible rash and started swelling up I went back to emergency and was admitted with severe sepsis and acute organ dysfunction. I had developed strep abscesses on my liver. They put in a PIC line for me to get IV antibiotics, but it was only in one week when it caused me to develop a 17 inch blood clot and they had to take it out. I was in the hospital 22 days.
I came home from the hospital in March but I still have the blood clot and the liver strep infection. I am down in bed pretty much of the time…. and once again I have almost no ENERGY! I miss it. I was really enjoying having it back again.
Oh, well…… what is…. is. It doesn’t do any good to complain about it. I’m told I could have died from both the sepsis and the blood clot so I feel blessed to be here at all. At least I have enough energy to blog now. That is more than I had a couple of weeks ago. I have faith that in time that I will regain more energy.
The moral of this story is….. if you have ENERGY enjoy it…. appreciated it…. use it to do good things because the day might come when it is gone. When that day comes you realize more than ever how very valuable ENERGY is.
I hope you are full of energy and having a great day. Hugs, Grammy Lura







14 comments:
There are a lot of things I wish I had enjoyed more when I had them, like being young and pretty, having energy, a nice figure, etc. I guess you don't really appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore! You truly have been through the mill these past couple of years I, for one, am glad you are still with us and sharing your wonderful example. I love you very much my dear friend. xxoo
Oh Grammy I hope you get better soon. That's awful! You're very optimistic and that's a great bonus to lead you to recovery. Clearly 'someone' is looking after you! God bless :) Visiting from Australia and the A-Z Challenge.
Hi, wow that car accident was horrific, so glad you are recovering from that at least. My good wishes for a speedy recovery now. I enjoy looking at the lovely pictures of your family.
Visiting from A-Z in the UK.
Glad you have the energy to join the A to Z challenge and that you're well now!
Oh Lura, this just breaks my heart. I am praying for you to feel more like yourself, with plenty of energy very soon!!
xo Kris
I don't have the energy I had in younger years, but I'm working at getting back some of the energy I had just a few years ago. I'm doing better -- and praying that you will, too. I did take for granted the energy and endurance I had in times past.
So glad you're alright and here to share this blogging challenge with us. :) I used 'Energy' as part of my E post today too. :) God bless. <3
Incredibly moved by that.
Oh my gosh when I saw the car's damage, I was absolutely amazed that you and your husband survived the accident! You have had a terrible ordeal with your health these past few years; I do hope you slowly and surely regain your energy back to where it was before the accident, before your gallbladder surgery and subsequent complications.
How cute you made all those superman capes for your grandson's birthday party! I'm thinking that was one party that was remembered for a long time by those that attended!
betty
Wow! You have certainly had a bunch of challenges over the years. I hope you get all your energy back real soon. I'm a firm believer in the after lunch nap (which I prefer to call a siesta).
First of all, I am glad you are headed in the right direction.
Obviously, the Creator has some plans for you and your energy!
I am glad you had enough to share with us on A-Z.
Naila Moon
Praying for an overflowing cup of energy for you Lura! blessings, marlene
Thank the good Lord you and your husband survived that terrible car crash. That xray made me shudder. Good luck on your recovery now! You Energy WILL return.
Agradable familia me gusta verlos reunidos ,en casa somos un clan también muy unidos,felicitaciones,los invito a ver mi blog,abrazos
Post a Comment