M is for Marriage…. Motherhood…. Melinda and Marla
MARRIAGE
I married my sweetheart in July of 1965… almost 48 years ago. I was 20 and John was 23. We were both still in college. All of the fairy tales I knew of ended with the princess getting married to her prince and then saying “..and they lived happily ever after”. I expected the “happy ever after” After all of these years I’ve learned enough about marriage to know that “happy ever after” doesn’t just happen…it takes lots of work and patience. I was shocked when John and I had our first argument. I knew felt I was right…. and he was wrong…. and I was determined to prove it to him. We had quite a few arguments in our early years of marriage. Then we learned a wonderful fact that changed our lives and made our marriage so much happier.
It is better to be loving than to prove you are right.
John and I love each other more now than we ever did. We love each other more each year. We are thankful we both survived the accident that should have killed us both. We value our time together enough to overlook the little things that aggravate us and focus on the things we love about each other.
I wish more people valued marriage today. It makes me sad how many young people think living together is as good as marriage. It is not. Knowing that you are both committed enough to the relationship to enter into the bonds of matrimony makes all the difference. When our marriage got rocky at times, John and I worked out our differences because we did not want to give up on our marriage vows. We wanted to make it right with each other and with God.
Motherhood
I could go on forever about motherhood but I won’t. Being a mother has been both the hardest and the most rewarding experience of my life. John and the 4 children in this picture ARE MY LIFE. As you can tell from my blog, everything I do centers around them and their children. They bring me my greatest joys. I am go thankful to be their mother.
Melinda
Melinda is my 2nd daughter. We call her Mindy. She is our only child that lives in California. Even though they live about 20 miles from us, it seems close compared to our other children.
We love having Mindy, Ernie and the kids near us. Like her sisters, she is a wonderful daughter, sister, wife and mother.
We have Sunday dinner together every week. One week they come to our house
and the next week we go to theirs. They always make us feel wanted and welcome. Dinner with them is one of the highlights of my week.
Mindy is a great cook and always makes a lovely meal for us.
She plays the flute like an angel. She also helps her children with their music lessons. Both she and Ernie are music majors and their children are very talented. We love attending programs that they perform in…. ( in fact we are going to a program tonight.)
There is no doubt about it….. Mindy adds songs and smiles to my heart.
MARLA
Marla is my only daughter-in-law love. She is married to our son, David. She is a loving daughter, wife and mother. She has been a great support to David in his career. They have had 7 work related moves to 6 different states since they married 14 years ago. It has not been easy for her but she is a trooper.
She is a great mother. I snapped this picture of her helping Davey practice piano. This is just one of the many things she does to help her children grow and learn.
No one could have a better daughter-in-law than our Marla.
Now you have met all of my grandchildren, my children and their spouses except for one…. (and you will met him in a couple of days ) through this A to Z blogging challenge. What will I talk about for the rest of the alphabet???
I am enjoying meeting some new A to Z bloggers. Thank you for stopping by and saying hello.
Hugs, Grammy Lura







5 comments:
Your family is beautiful - I have looked up and down your blog. And congrats - almost 50 years. I am almost at 40. That is wonderful.
Love, sandie
hi lura!!! i just caught up on lots of posts! loving your a to z-so fun!! i love reading about your sweet beautiful family. i wish i was better at blogging these days. you'll notice that i'm posting a little it more lately, trying to catch up. but i'm backdating them all:) so that way when i make my blog book it won't look like i'm so behind! hahaha. so yeah, my feb posts i'm typing in april. lame. trying to catch up and i just can't. these five kiddos just keep me so busy! anyways, glad to see you are doing well. and thanks for commenting even when i'm slacking! xoxo :)
I have so enjoyed seeing all of your family in pictures. What a blessing they all are and what a blessing they have in their beautiful parents!
Hello! :)
This post gave me the warm fuzzies. Such an inspiring, heartwarming read, from your love story to being a mom. Mothering is indeed the most difficult job but with the best perks.
~ D is for Deecoded ~
I love your a-z blogs
Post a Comment