Thursday, April 11, 2013

Blogging A to Z… I is for….

a to z 2

I is for Independence

Two years ago at this time I was in the hospital after surviving  a terrible car accident that should have killed my husband and me.

IMG_5336Lura's ribs

In a split second everything in my life changed. I will never get back my life as I knew it before the accident… but I’ve learned to value independence and be very thankful for it.

IMG_6722IMG_6729

My chest was so badly crushed and my organs so badly bruised that it left me unable to do anything for myself.

IMG_0980IMG_6730

I couldn’t breath on my own or change my position in bed.

IMG_0925IMG_0928

I couldn’t get out of bed to take a shower or fix my hair. I was completely dependent on the care of others to do every single thing for me.  I could not even go the bathroom without help or clean myself off afterwards.

Needless to say, the 5 months I spent down after the accident were not easy ones for me but I have a new appreciation for life that I never had before. Each little new act of independence brought me great joy. I remember how nice it was when I was able to have solid food and feed myself. 

IMG_0982

Then I got to get out of bed and sit in a chair. I felt new independence.

IMG_5379

With the help of others I started walking. Six weeks after the accident I could finally get in and out of my hospital bed without help. That was exciting.

Gradually, month after month I got stronger and could do more things for myself. Each new task accomplished was precious to me. I remember how happy I was when I could let go of my walker long enough to stand at the sink and brush my teeth.  It was cause for a celebration. I think of that now each time  I brush my teeth.

Now, two years later, I value the independence I used to take for granted.  I still have some pains and problems. There are some things that I still can not do but I am so happy for all the things I can do. Even getting up at night and going to the bathroom on my own seems like a minor miracle to me now. How I love being able to walk, take a shower, do my hair, drive a car, do my own laundry, clean my house, fix meals for my family, go shopping, take trips and a million and one other things. Each independent act is a blessing.

Being Independent is indeed the top of my I list.

Hugs, Grammy

 

5 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Beautiful post. It's true that most of us do not appreciate these things until they're taken away. We have a lot to be grateful for!

Buttercup said...

I'm with you on this. I posted something similar as "G for Gratitude." A year ago I was losing the ability to walk...I, too, do not have the same ability I had before I had the tumor, but so grateful for all that I can do, and that I am independent. I think about just getting out of bed or putting on my shoes and I am thankful. Adding my thanks for Forrest!

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said...

This is a heartwarming post. I am so happy that you got through that and have your independence back. We teally do take a lot of things for granted.

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I, for one (and I know there are lots of us!) were so grateful that you and John survived the accident. Your testimony and strength have been a huge example to many. I am so grateful that you have regained your independence, and despite the fact that your life will never quite be the same that you are still with us. You are my dearest friend, my sister of the heart and so very special to me. I love you very much. xxoo

Terra said...

Yours is a sweet story of healing and of strength.