Friday, April 26, 2013

Blogging from A to Z…. V is for….

a to z 2
Yesterday I was undecided about which letter U to do but today there is no question in my mind!  Today I have my all time favorite letter V to blog about.
V is definitely for Valentine’s
happy heart
Please note that I did not say Valentine’s Day…. no, no, no…because to me Valentine’s is so special I celebrate it the whole month.
happy February
My whole month of February is filled with Valentine fun.
IMG_4058
The first week of Feb. I set my Valentine’s tables. Last year I went with a white and red theme.
viewattachmentchair
This year I went totally pink. I even covered and decorated my chairs this year. (My hubby said it looked like there was an explosion in a Pepto Mismo factory.)
IMG_0274
I’m glad my sweetheart puts up with all my fancy decorating. I just love it and he sweetly tolerates it. (He would just as soon eat in front of the T.V. on paper plates.)
IMG_0269
After getting my tables set,  I start making my Valentine cards.
IMG_1409
I love having Valentine making parties with my friends. (Kris and Jan are the queens of Valentine making.)

IMG_0270IMG_0271
I love “foofoo” so I embellish my cards with a lot of it. After decorating the outside, I write a personal note on the inside.  It takes me a long time but I want each recipient to know how special they are to me. This year it took me over a week to make all of them. I barely got them all done in time to deliver them by the 14th .
IMG_0272IMG_4052
My next task is to make little Valentine goodie bags. I usually make Valentine cupcakes or cookies and throw in some candy. This year I was too lazy  busy so I just bought all the goodies for my Valentine bags. I mail them off to my precious grandchildren and deliver the rest to local friends and family.
IMG_4048IMG_4059
Setting pretty tables isn’t worth much if you don’t use them.
IMG_0265IMG_0273
I just love having family and friends over all through the month for Valentine dinners.
IMG_4098
It is especially fun feeding the Mormon missionaries serving in our area. I know that they are away from their families so I try to give them a little substitute “Mama love”.
IMG_4089IMG_0289
My sweet friends love Valentine’s as much as I do. It is nice being invited to beautiful Valentine’s meals at their homes also.
IMG_0277IMG_0278
And having our annual Valentine Tea Party with Kris and Jan is
IMG_0285IMG_0286
always an extra special treat. I am so thankful for dear friends.
Actually Valentine’s Day has taught me a valuable life lesson. Years ago, when I was young, I used to kind of dread Valentine’s Day. I worried that John would forget to get me a Valentine (or rebel against the pressure) and I would be sad. Instead of it being a romantic day it was more of a stressful day. 
Then, after our children came along, I stopped worrying about what I would get for Valentine’s Day and started concentrating on what I could do for others to make their Valentine’s special. I got so involved with my projects that I wasn’t  even concerned about what was in it for me. That is when I started loving Valentine’s Day. Then an amazing thing happened…. John started responding more positively too. He caught the “love bug” and got into the spirit of Valentine’s Day too.
IMG_0275425654_2747685698376_1444584178_32131929_2089576444_n
Now he nearly always gets me pretty flowers  with a sweet card.
IMG_4065IMG_4067
I love it…. and I really do appreciate his kindness…. but it is not the best part of Valentine’s for me.
My greatest joy comes from making the day special for others. My experience proves the scripture  “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35) is really true.
Valentine’s is definitely my very favorite V.
I hope that you are having a very nice day. Enjoy the weekend.
Hugs, Lura

4 comments:

Sybil said...

OH Lura, How you made Valantine month stand out for me...Over here it is not really celebrated as you do and it was so wonderful to "see" it all through your eyes. Your Valantine cards are beautiful...what a talented friend you are...Next year I will try to remember all the lovely things you do and try to make Valantines Day special for some more people...
Thank You xxx

Kris said...

Sweet!!
xo Kris

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said...

Aww this is such a heartwarming post! That's awfully nice of you to do that for all your loved ones. I also try to give gifts and notes to my friends ever valentines, but not to the extent that you do. You are too kind. I loved reading this.

LeAnn said...

Lura, you are such a dear one. I loved all of your Valentine thoughts and pictures. You are such a fun person. I can tell that is why you have so many good friends. I feel lucky to be one of them.
This as such a sweet post and I am going to think more seriously of making my Valentines a little more special during the month of February.
Blessings, hugs and love to you dear friend.