Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 21 in the hospital

Dear Blog friends,
This will be just a short post to update you on what is happening with me.
I thought that I would be transferred to a different hospital today but it didn't work out.
I think I will be moved tomorrow. If I am I will post my new address and phone number for you. Thank you so much for the comments, cards, prayers and phone calls. They mean so much to me and keep me going.

My friend Luis called from Argentina tonight . Marie calls often from England. My family call. My friends call. So many call and each time I feel the love give me strength. Thank you.

The days go slowly but not as slowly as the nights. The nights seem to go on forever. When I get to sleep I dream that I am doing all the normal things I used to do like working in the Temple, cleaning house, playing with grandkiddos, sewing, etc. Then I wake up and the dream vanishes and I realize I am stuck in a bed, in pain and helpless to move on my own. Sometimes I hate waking up. Dreaming is so much nicer. At least I do not dream about the accident. I am thankful for that.

I don't understand why they have to come in all through the night and wake me when I finally get to sleep. They take my vitals, they bring me meds, they draw blood,they check my oxygen level, they take xrays and on and on. Oh well, I guess the poor night staff have to do something to keep them awake all night.LOL

After seeing the catscan of my busted ribs I realize it will take a long time to recover. I guess I need to be encouraged by the small progress I am making and not look too far down the road. I will just have to be more patient and enjoy being normal and healthy even if it is only in my dreams.

Goodnight with love, Lura

11 comments:

hoLLy said...

i'm so so so so so so sorry you are going through this. i feel so helpless. i wish i could make it all go away for you:( i'm glad you are at least having good dreams. . so you can escape it all even if its for but a moment. love you lura!!!!!!!

Jan's Blog said...

Hello my sweet. I've just walked in from Evening Relief Society, a wonderful night, and straight to my computer in hopes of news from you...and there you are. I'm holding my cards until I get a new address and hope they will forward ones you will miss.

I do so very much want to encourage you to celebrate every little tiny baby step you make in your recovery. It will be very long, but let the Lord hand on to that for you and you just take it a day at a time, and it will stretch out each day and then you'll be well, and strong, and of I can't wait to hear the lessons and enlightenments you will have drawn from all of this.

It hurts to know how you are suffering. When I went through my year with the migraines and the morphine and all I literally sometimes had to deal with the next 15 minutes, and that was as far as I could look, and when that 15 minutes was up, I prayed to survive the next 15 minutes, and soon we were counting hours instead of minutes and then days instead of hours. But there were setbacks. They are bound to come, and you just cannot let them dampen your spirit. You just starting counting minutes again. And now, here I am, a year later, not counting at all.

Hope you have a restful night and a painfree move tomorrow. I'll be praying for that, and for sweet dreams for you.

Love and tiny little hugs, Jan

Marie Rayner said...

I think sometimes Lura we need a rest from just being in the hospital!! I think there can sometimes be no noiser or busier place and it can be very difficult to get the rest we need! Wierd but true! I didn't call yesterday because I thought you were moving hospital and I was waiting to get a new telephone number!! I wish now I had called, even if I had only been told you were no longer there. Sometimes when we look at the whole mountain we think to our selves that we will never be able to climb it. It is so big and so tall and seems so insurrmountable! But if we look at it just a few steps at a time, then it is not so bad and before we know it, we are standing on the summit. It's like that old saying, how do you eat an elephant?? One bite at a time! I see so much progress in you and I can hear it in your voice each time we speak. I am grateful for that. Thank goodness for dreams. In them we can be anywhere and with anyone, and do anything we can think of. I often dream of being with my children and they are young and still need me and love me. And then I wake up. Blah . . . You are so blessed my dear friend to be surrounded with so much love as you are. Things will get better day by day. You will get well. I send lots of love and prayers and gentle hugs. MWHA!! xxoo

Sybil said...

Just you keep smiling my dear Lura and each and every day will be brighter. Hope that the new hospital will be a nice one. I presume that any mail sent to you where you are will be sent on? ( I sent a wee thing by air and hope that it arrives.LOL)
Love Sybil x

Tracy said...

Hi, Lura! So glad to see this longer post from you... and that you are doing OK. Hoping very much you'll be up for the move to the other hospital. Being a hospital for many days is not easy, and especially at night. I was in the hospital for many days some years ago due to an awful car accident, much like yourself, and the nights were so hard for all you mentioned--the hospital doesn't let you sleep... LOL! But you will rest once you're home, you will rest so well... count on that. ;o) And thank goodness for good dreams in the meantime. Thinking of you and sending you get-well prayers. :o)

StitchinByTheLake said...

Good morning Lura, I remember the last time my sister was in the hospital it was for a lengthy stay and we finally had to ask the doctor to write an order for no one to come in between midnight and six so she could get some sleep. Not only did they come in to check this and that but they turned on the overhead light every time! The doctor stopped that - it didn't make the staff really happy but my sister's recovery stepped up because she got some good sleep. That's critical to recovery! You are now one day closer to getting back to your own home...however long that might be. We had terrible storms here in Arkansas last night and two people died a couple of miles from my daughter's house on the other side of town when a tree fell on their mobile home. There are many schools closed because they have no power. But this morning the world is beautiful again, the sun is shining and everything is washed clean. Have a better day...blessings, marlene

Kris said...

Hello Dearie,
They didn't move you? I was sure right when I said that everything happens in THEIR time not yours. I guess this is why 'they' call you a 'patient'. You are supposed to be patient while they have their own plan arranging and serving you. It must be hard to be waiting and waiting for something to happen.
On top of all that is 'patience' for the healing process. Although it will take a very long time for your ribs to heal and reattach isn't is amazing to consider that they will? To think that many people give the credit for such a miracle to anything but God boggles my mind. In fact, I feel sorry for them. Surrounded by non-stop daily miracles they don't give Him credit. The joy that comes from knowing the truth NOW is OURS. Isn't it wonderful? It brings such love and gratitude to know WHOM to thank. My favorite word in the scriptures is REJOICE. The only reason we can is because of HIM.
Love to you,

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I never understand why some of those tasks have to be done at night either. It seems rest is as inmportant as some other things! I will watch for news of your move. Maybe the nighttime routine there will be more condusive to sleep!! I will add that to my prayers as
I continue to keep you in my thoughts and most importantly, my prayers! Love, Grammee Linda

Shirley Brashear said...

Dearsest Lura,

As always you are amazing and loved so much. I know the Lord will bless you and knows of your pain. I hope you will feel my prayers and love for you.

Sheryl said...

So sweet friend...your experience continues to keep us all on our proverbial toes waiting to hear what is next for you. There is nothing like a great big trial to show us how loved we are, and cared for, and prayed for. You bless so many, and now it is received in kind. I sure wish I could come sit by your bedside and chat and read, and share. Russell is always wanting to read your blogs as well. Love you friend!

Jan's Blog said...

Hello friend. I'm strangely anxious today... checking your blog every hour or so to see if you've arrived at your new hospital and hearing about it. I'm so hoping it goes well. I keep thinking about my ride in an ambulance after my car accident, and how I kept having to tense my body because as we went round corners I felt like I was going to fall out of the bed. I only had one broken and one cracked rib and it was so very painful. If you get this before they move you... share with the driver that you need him to take it nice and slow! You're in my prayers!!!
Love you Lura, Jan