Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Sad Sunday

Dear Blog Friends,
We have just had a wonderful and busy 36 hours with our dear daughter, Lynell and our wonder boy Olympic hopeful, Johnny. They flew in late Friday night, attended the Peter Vidmar gymnastic invitational in LA yesterday, and then flew back home this morning before church. Johnny did an outstanding job.

I had intended to tell you about it and share the many smiles we had with them on my post today..... but... it will have to wait for a bit.... life has intervened....some friends have suffered a great loss.... my heart is heavy.... and I feel it inappropriate to do my usual Sunday Smiles post today, when their world has turned upside down.

We left Lynell and Johnny off at LAX and drove the 50 miles home quickly to go to church. We arrived after the first hour meeting was over and thought we would hurry in to our Sunday School class which had already started. I could tell that something was wrong when I first walked into the door. A number of our friends had not gone into Sunday School but were gathered in the halls, somber and crying.

I learned that while we were away, having a wonderful time, one of our friend's husband committed suicide. He has been depressed because he had lost his source of income in these hard economic times. He owned a car dealership that was failing. He leaves a wife, 11 and 13 year old daughters and some older children and stepchildren. He had been getting medical treatment for his depression. We all hoped he was feeling better.

Our sweet Young Women's President cancelled our regular lesson today. She brought in dozens of the little battery operated flicker candles and put them everywhere around the classroom. She spread blankets and pillows all over the floor. She invited the 13 year old daughter who is in our Young Women's class and the rest of her family to join us. We and all the young women gathered together and surrounded the grieving family with love.

The president told Lexi and her family how much we love them and how our hearts go out to them. She said we know that this is a dark and painful time for them.... but she said that there is always a flicker of light even in the darkest of times. She reminded us that God is our light and our hope. ... That in our darkest hours we are never alone....God is always there to support and to comfort. She said that each of us can also be a little flicker of light for them during the difficult time that lies ahead. She asked the girls and the leaders to speak up as we felt fit and tell Lexi and her family of our love, of our testimony and of ways we have found light during our dark hours.

We all expressed our love. We bore testimonies of the power and comfort of prayer. We assured Lexi and her family that they are not alone..... that we are and we will be there to help them get though this. Many tears were shed. The spirit in the room was strong and beautiful. The meeting ran over about 25 minutes. No one wanted for it to end.

I am thankful that I was invited to bear my testimony and be a part of that experience today. I think our Young Women's President was inspired to handle this sad time this way. It is hard to understand depression or how a loving husband and father could choose to leave his family in such difficult circumstances. I don't have any answers that make sense, but I do know that God loves all of His children. I know that life goes on after death and families are eternal. I am thankful for this knowledge.

I love sweet Alexis so much. It breaks my heart that she and her family have to go through this tragedy. I will do all I can to help this dear family in the hard times that will follow. Please add your prayers to ours on their behalf. Thanks, Lura

p.s. I will share my smiles with you at another time..... today is a time of reflection and prayer.




15 comments:

adsgram said...

Suicide is a hard thing to have to deal with..my nephew did just that at age 16. Prayers and good thoughts for Lexi and her family. She sounds like she has a great group to rely on.

Hugs...♥♥
Lynne

Jan's Blog said...

Thank you Lura for sharing the experience at Church today for Lexi and her family. I'm so glad for the inspiration that led the meeting to happen as it did. I hope that family felt the love, and the promise of continued support. Please let me know what I may do to help, beyond prayers, which of course are a given.

It seems suicide touches us all at one time or another. I hope this man is at peace. I hope he doesn't have to suffer anymore. I hope he never realizes what he's done to his family! I pray he's found relief.

TUTU Monkey said...

Oh my gosh....how very sad. I am so glad that this family is surrounded by love at this sad time. (( lots of love and prayers))

Erin said...

Oh mom... I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what that family is going through. That poor family. They will be in our prayers for sure.

Love you!

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I will certainly keep this lovely family in my prayers, as will Todd. Suicide is such a hard thing to understand. My heart goes out to this family in their hour of need. May they feel the comforting touch of the Saviour through the love and support of their church family. I love you my sweet friend and cherish what we have. xxoo

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh Lura, what a sad time for that family and all that love them. Just recently (Valentine's Day) the 21 yr old son of a former co worker did the same thing. Like you said, depression is so hard to understand and how deeply it affects people.

Sending hugs to you and Alexis and family!! ((((((((((Lura)))))))

hoLLy said...

oh no, that is just horrible:( i'm so so sorry for his family and your ward family. what a tragedy. his poor daughters. it sounds like you have an amazing yw president there-what a neat meeting she was inspired to have.

we will say prayers, lots of them!

Kris said...

Scores of prayers have been offered for this family by Craig and me since we first learned of the tragedy. May our prayers combine with the hundreds/thousands ascending to heaven to send comfort, peace, love and hope to them.
What you described happening in the YW mtg. is very touching. Certainly the family felt in tangible as well as spiritual ways the love of their supporting friends. It was inspired indeed.

Sheryl said...

What an experience we are in the midst of. Truly the Ward has rallied,and the family members each know they are loved. Continuing our prayers and support will matter so much. I am so glad you great women in our YW program could be there and share such a vital message.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

That is so sad. We had something similar happen to a family in my church recently where the husband/dad committed suicide.

How beautifully, though, your church family is reaching out and ministering to Lexi and her family. That must be a great blessing and comfort to them. I am sending my prayers and good thoughts too.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lura what a wonderful way to reach out to this sweet child. I will continue to pray. blessings, marlene

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, that is so very sad. I will pray for the wife and kids. It is just so sad that people feel there is no way out.

I know that your church and community will reach out to them and support them with love.

Sybil said...

Thank you Lura for sharing what must have been a very hard thing to write about. No doubt many tears were falling as you wrote it so my heart goes out not just to Lexi and her family but to you also and all her friends. You are all in my prayers.
with Love sybil xx

Tara D. said...

I am so sorry to hear this Lura. What a horrible thing for this family he left behind to have to endure. My thoughts and prayers will be with them (and the ward family too).

Buttercup said...

Dear Lura, My heart and prayers go out to this family and to all of their friends. Thankfully your church family was there to support them and will be there for the future. Depression is a terrible disease. Take good care of yourself and know prayers are being sent from New York.