Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Tears and Smiles

A_staffy's_Sunday_Six

Dear Blog Friends,

That is…..I hope that you are still my blog friends. I have neglected you all for so long that I wouldn’t blame you if you have written me off as a lost cause. I have just about written me off as a lost cause too.  I am just not functioning very well.  I am sorry.

I have much to be thankful for. I know that I have been greatly blessed.  My pain is bad, but not as bad as it was…. and yet it seems that I can tolerate it less.  I have made a lot of progress in the 4 months since our accident and the 2 weeks since my surgery but the pain in my left shoulder blade, shoulder and arm seems to get worse instead of better.  Anything I do with my left arm hurts badly. That is one reason that I don’t type much to blog. The other reason is that  I feel I have burdened you with my woes long enough. … I mean really…I even think…. enough is enough!!!

I decided to make the effort of going to church today. I did not feel very good but I decided that could make it if I tried….. and I wouldn’t hurt any more sitting at church than I would sitting at home. I was glad that I went.  The opening hymn was “More Holiness Give Me”  by Phillip Bliss. The first verse says:

Jesus

 

More holiness give me, More strivings with-in

More patience in suffering, More sorrow for sin;

More faith in my Savior, More sense of his care;

More joy in his service, More purpose in prayer.

 

 

 

I have always loved this hymn, but today it really touched me.  I must find a way to have more patience in suffering , more sense of my Savior’s care and more purpose in prayer.  I will try to do better in each of the areas listed in this hymn.

It has been a hard week for me for 2 reasons:

1.   I’ve wanted to be at the Snake River with all of my kids and grandkiddos…… it is the first time in 10 years that my son David and his sweet family were  able to come…. I am sad we missed it.

2. John’s sister, Celia, died. We are all thankful that her suffering is over. She has been in a terrible state for years.  John’s brother, Forrest and his dear wife, RoLayne have sacrificed to give Celia loving care 24/7 for over 2 years as she wasted away. We are thankful that God has called her home.

Her memorial service was yesterday. Our children and grandchildren were there and almost all of John’s family attended…. but not us. I could not make the trip to Utah and John would not leave me at home and go without me.  I cried all day. I longed to be there with our loved ones to pay my respect and celebrate her good life. Our daughter, Lynell read a letter that John and I wrote to express our love and memories of Celia….. but I wanted to be there with them.

Upps…What am I doing???   I’m sorry…there have been tears shed this week but this post is suppose to be about  my Sunday 6 Smiles I have much to be thankful for and smile about… so here goes…

1. I am thankful Celia’s suffering is over and she has been called back home with our Heavenly Father.

2. I am thankful for the loving care Forrest and RoLayne gave Celia…. and for the beautiful memorial service they organized for her.

dathan and lynell

3.  Dathan and Lynell make me smile. Today is their 24th anniversary. We love them and their 5 children. We are thankful for each of them.

4. I am thankful that all of our children, their families and other relatives love each other so much and they had the opportunity to enjoy  this week camping together.

campfirecamping

5. I am thankful they were all kept safe as they braved river rafting in Wyoming.

river 1river 2

6. I am thankful for my friends who continue to support me as I recover

.IMG_1731

Thanks to the 23 of you who left me sweet comments last week. I so appreciate the well wishes and the prayers. Friends have come to visit, made us dinners, brought goodies and flowers, called and sent cards. Thanks for putting up with me even when I complain.  I will try to do less complaining in the future.

 Smile….SmileSmile

I am sooooo lucky and soooo blessed!!!! Why the heck should I be sad??? I have way more than 6 reasons to smile. Doing this post has made me smile just thinking about all I have to be thankful for.

I hope that all of you have many reasons to smile too. I am sending you my best wishes and hugs, Grammy Lura

21 comments:

Buttercup said...

Dear Lura, So happy to see your post. I've been catching up on blogs tonight and was reading the last few posts and was hopeful you would post tonight. Definitely still your praying blog buddy!
I am so sorry to hear about Celia. My sympathy and prayers to all of your family.
Sometimes it's tough to be cheerful, even when we have blessings to count and we need to grieve and just be for awhile. I felt that way after September 11 and am still grateful for G-d's strength, friends and family who were so supportive.
Take good care of yourself and know that love and hugs are coming to you from across the miles.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Ecclesiastes 3 says To everything there is a time - even a time to cry. There is a time to be sad so don't despair when sadness overwhelms you sometimes. It will pass, even though it probably seems like it will go on and on and on. And your friends will be waiting. We love you and we're not going anywhere. blessings, marlene

Kris said...

Your sweet post reminded me of a song!

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile.

You are good at doing this: smiling with tears in your eyes.
Who would think that Nat King Cole could offer such wisdom?

The Barton's said...

Now...not even for a min do I think...o that Lura! I love all your posts! You inspire me! You teach, and you are an example! Friends and family are here through thick and thin! If you need to post tears and smiles than you go girl! This seems like it won't pass...it will and you will have grown along the way! So bring on the tears and the smiles! You have a great support group who love you and want to be here no matter what! Lots of love and prayers!!!

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Hey Kiddo: Don't you worry about feeling sad...When my husband (of 49 yrs.) passed people said to me; "You are strong...you will get through this...Well, THERE WERE DAYS WHEN i WASN'T STRONG and if one more person said that to me I felt like I wanted to "bop" 'em. So you just let yourself "be" and know that the worst is over and you will be well! We are all out here in blogland and we love you and feel honored to know such a wonderful woman! Big hugs to you, Joy

Sybil said...

Redisignal...has said just what I was thinking my dear Lura...
So just you hang on in there, one day soon you will wake up and all thes horrid months will be on there way...as Marie was just saying today it is good to live in just today...and that is hard enough..no use looking back to yesterday and forward to meet tomorrow...keep smiling my love and that of all of us is surrounding you and will carry you through, (just as you have carried us in our low days ) we won't be going anywhere..
Love You Sybil xxx

Sheryl said...

Your sweet heart has to be aching missing the life events that are so vital to feeling complete. I am so sorry you have had to miss them. I know you have been the best sister in law to Celia, and she is free, and knows your love so well. I know your family is united in missing you and John as well. But I can't imagine you doing anything but resting and continuing on your road to healing. Your example of enduring and like Kris says, smiling with tears in your eyes, speaks volumes to us as we witness your true strength, and what a blessing you are to each of us. Like DeAnne said in her talk today, you are our miracles right before our eyes. Hang in there sweet girl, you are one of the great and valiant ladies in our lives!! Love you!

Marie Rayner said...

My dear friend, I think anyone would be sad at having to miss these things, especially knowing how very important family is to you, I can totally understand how tears would be shed. ((((hugs)))) There is much good too, however, and I am so glad that you are able to see the little pockets of joy, despite your tears. That is the comfort the Gospel brings to us. I love you so much my friend. You are a wonderful example to me and you are a example I strive to follow. I fall far short, I know. You have been a real blessing in my life and I love you with all of my heart. This too shall pass with time, not my love for you, but the trials you have been facing in recent months. Soon, they will be but a distant memory. Stay strong and keep smiling that beautiful smile that inspires us all so very much. xxoo

Jan's Blog said...

Your tears are so very very understandable. But I'm glad you also had lots of reasons to smile. Love you, Jan

hoLLy said...

i would've cried all day too lura :( i'm so sorry! not only do you have to deal with what seems like neverending pain, but you are having to miss out on things that are special to you. my heart aches for you. i feel so helpless at the keyboard and wish there was something i could do for you more than prayers and blog comments and thing i've sent through the mail....just know we love you. you'll get through this!

Cathyjo said...

Dear Lura,I'm so thankful for you taking the time to comment on my blog and uplift me, as I know that you yourself are suffering. As always your post makes me smile and I need it TY. And don't mind listing to your complain's I'm honerd that you want to share with us agin TY. There's a season for all things. Love You much,keep hanging there.(((HUGS)))xx

joyh82 said...

What a great post, sorry to hear about your sister in law. Hope you are feeling better everyday and will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Lura Im thanksful by your love, your faith and your friendship, You are amazing my friend!
Sorry about Celia, my prayers to you and John and all the family.
Please pray a little for my Dad he has diabetes and these days is a little down (maybe by the surgery of my Mom) and dont feel well. You know this is the life, and I try to be all the best I can, Mom feel much better but still have pain like you.
Send you a lot of hugss and love and thanks for you my dear Lura, Love yah! xxgloria

Visits With Mary said...

Dear Lura, life struggles are sometimes very hard to bear..but your beautiful attitude and loving family and friends will sustain you as you heal. And of course, our wonderful Lord is there with you 24/7....{{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about John's sister, but happy too her suffering is over. I'm thankful for your candid feelings, your determination and your faith. It'll be just a little while longer and you'll be up and baking in no time at all!

Lorraine said...

As always, you are an inspiration to me. July 28th was our last night working at the temple. We are leaving soon for the MTC and are so excited but will miss you and all of our temple friends. You continue to be in my prayers each day and wish you comfort as you recover.

SmileySunrise said...

Lura, Thank you for sharing your heart with us, both the smiles and the tears. There truly is so very much to be thankful for, and I am so very grateful for our precious Heavenly Father Who watches over His children so lovingly. May He grant you all you have need of throughout your recovery... and always.

Dawn :-)
Washington State

LeAnn said...

Lura you have become such a dear blogging friend. I am so sorry that you are having more pain; I know that is discouraging. I am wondering if this is a new pain or old from your accident. The reason I am asking is that sometimes individuals get pain like you are discribing from being on the surgery table. I don't know if that still happens are not since I have been out of nursing for so long.
You have had some sad happening in your family and I can't imagine how hard it is not to beable to attend your own family reunion. You have so many sweet friends and family that love you; which is so awesome. I will continue to keep you in my prayers and hope you have an uplifting week ahead.
Blessing to you!

bettyj said...

Lura, I was so thankful I could record in m prayer journal next to your name and cancer fear, "not malignant". Continuing to pray for you.
betty

Mom of 12 said...

It's nice to meet you. I hope you are feeling better soon. It sounds like you have a beautiful life.
Sandy

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I'm with Marlene and Marie. They said it all. And even though my heart aches for the sadness you're feeling right now, I'm also grateful to you for sharing the tears as well as the smiles. You are always an encouragement, and your transparency makes you real. (((HUGS)))