Friday, July 15, 2011

3 rules to a happy marriage..My anniversary words of wisdom or whatever???

As you learned from my last post, Saturday was our 46th Anniversary.

IMG_1706

Since posting about our # 46 several people have asked me what is the secret of having a long lasting happy marriage.

I’ve given it some thought.  I’ve not come up with anything original but these are my thoughts on the matter.

 

IMG_1705

When we were married we were students at BYU.  We had 3 years of college under our belts…. we knew we had  to go 2 more years to finish up and get our degrees and teaching certificate.  We had little savings.  I was almost 21.  John had returned home from serving at as missionary in Central America and had just turned 23.

We were young and trim and so much in love that we thought marriage would be a piece of cake. We couldn’t imagine ever finding fault with one another.

Like in the fairytale, we planned to ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after.

house

Then reality set in. Life turned out to be a lot harder than we thought it would be. We found out that even cake can get old and taste stale. Some days we were blissfully in love and happy…. and on some days we were barely “in like” and felt upset  and angry with each other.

The ebb and flow of happy/unhappy marriage when on for several years.

We went to church, prayed and read the scriptures regularly…. but I didn’t find out what real love is until I discovered 3 simple rules.  I am sure that you know them…. but until I embraced them, we were not truly happy like we are now.

Jesus

1. I Pray daily that God will help me see good things to love about my husband and help me be a loving and supportive wife.

For years I prayed that God would change this or that about John. I finally figured out that me trying to change John wasn’t working, but I could change me and my outlook. That made all the difference.  When I quit nagging, pouting and complaining and started working on my own attitude and behavior, John became more and more loving and responsive to my desires. Look for things that you appreciated about your spouse and tell him/her.  As my acceptance and appreciation of John grew, so did our love for each other.

#2.  It really is true that life is going to hand you some lemons…. When it does you can pucker up and hate the bitter taste…. or make lemonade.

lemonade

We’ve all heard this a 1000 times…. but it really is true.

As I look back on every hard/bitter experience I’ve ever had, I can see there has been a benefit and growth that’s come from it that I couldn’t see at the time.  Just trust God and turn to him in the midst of your sour days and He will give you the sugar to sweeten up your life better than it ever was before. It may take some time to realize it … but it will happen.

God has a plan for us… and a purpose for every challenge we face. He hears our prayers even when we think we are not getting the answers we want and deserve. I love the scripture that says,”Be still and know that I am God”

Sometimes, we just have to be still and trust that God knows what He is doing… and all will turn out to be for our good.

helping

#3. It is more important to be kind and make your mate happy than to be at war proving you are right. 

No two people are going to see eye to eye on everything. In previous years, when John and I argued, and I knew he was wrong…I knew I was right we disagreed. I didn’t want to give an inch and could nhammer rightot let it rest until I hammered the point in to prove I was right. There was little victory in being right because that left both of us hurting and mad at each other.

(Note: No husbands were actually hit with a hammer during the making of this post.)

I finally learned that you can not be contentious and have the spirit of the Lord in your home.  Without the spirit of the Lord, you can not be really happy. Most disagreements aren’t worth a hill of beans in the long run. Keeping the spirit of love and harmony in your home and in your relationship with your spouse is far more important than proving you are right. … and … after you cool down and reevaluate, you often find that you weren’t so right after all.  Saying “I’m sorry” may not always be easy but it is nearly always worth the effort.

IMG_1464

Those are my 3 simple rules to a happy marriage….Stay close to the Lord and your spouse and make lemonade. It has worked for us. We have never loved each other more… and we are still working on it.

My surgery is Monday morning. John and I are both nervous…. not because we are worried about the outcome as much as  we just hate that I have to go through another painful procedure. We both appreciate the prayers and concern you have shown us.   Thank you.

Hugs, Lura

15 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, I do so love you and John! What a beautiful post. You are two of the sweetest, nicest people I have ever had the priveledge of knowing. I wish that I had had the knowledge that you have had when I was married before, perhaps we would still be married. The one thing I never wanted to give my children was a broken home. :-( Nevermind I found my Toddy Bear and we are happily married in a Gospel Centred Home and he is a treasure to me. (I sometimes want to hit him with a hammer too, lol, but I don't!) If we could only have such wisdom when we are young, it would sure go a long ways towards making our lives a lot easier through the years, but then . . . it's the trials that teach us isn't it! I am praying that all will go well on Monday and that you will sail through your operation with flying colours and that the worst part of it will have been the anticpation. ((((hugs)))) I love you my sweet friend. Always. xxoo

Michelle said...

How true! Congratulations on your 46 years. My husband and I have been married almost 36 years. We were married in the fall of the year we graduated high school, and we love each other more every day. Your three rules are exactly what it takes. We always tell people who ask, 'Never EVER say 'Shut up' or 'that was STUPID', always respect each other, and always be best friends. If the first person you want to share good news or heartaches with, is your spouse,(and God!) that is such a blessing, and you know you're doing it right. First and foremost, though, is having Jesus in your life, and making Him the head of your household, and your 'other' best friend.

I will be praying for you on Monday. I hope you can have someone keep us updated on how you are doing. Hugs and blessings to you. God is in control. Be blessed, Michelle

ps. I have that same picture of the little girl praying that I see hanging on the wall behind you in that one photo.

Also...not sure you were telling the truth about not hitting your hubby with that hammer, because it looks like he has a 'mark' on his forehead. Poor hubby! LOL!

bettyj said...

Beautiful post. I will be praying for your surgery. Your prognosis and the doctors performing it.
betty

The Bright Family said...

It is good to be reminded of those basic things that will help keep our marriages strong--sometimes I forget (I kind of just want to make my own hammer picture. he-he). :) You'll be in my prayers on Monday. I'm sure it will all go smoothly.

Gloria Baker said...

Ha,ha,ha You make me laugh not only smile Lura, Im agree with the rules but I think you both love each other so much!! I know and this is wonderful and a blessing dear Lura.
aaaah many times I want hit with a hammer Gerardo he has a trong head and finally I let him with bla, bla, bla, you know, Im 30 years of marriage and I learned some things of course. je,je,

I remember you will have your surgery on Monday my dear Im praying for you, finally Mom will have her surgery maybe Friday and I bring my Dad here, (he is really special you know and have 83 ) and after the surgery the idea she come to ma house too and I can tace her.

Send you a lot of huggs and prayers remember my dear Im with you always, blessings gloria

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

You know, I never realized that I now do those things until you explained it that way. I was 20 and in college and David was 23 and had graduted the summer before when we got married and our story could be much the same as you wrote. I also got lucky because he happens to be very easy going MOST of the time. It sure helps to have someone so agreeable to live with.

Again, congrats on your 46 years. And you know I will have you in my thoughts and prayers on Monday. I look forward to hearing the news of a good outcome my sweet friend! Love and hugs!

Jan's Blog said...

What a beautiful post Lura. You describe beautifully the keys to a happy marriage, and as a single lady I can say that they would work just as well in having a friendship. It's so clear to all who know and love you that you and John are in a very happy marriage and that you love each other very deeply. What a great example for your children and grandchildren. Love you, Jan

StitchinByTheLake said...

Congratulations again Lura! You gave some really good advice. I'm praying about Monday...for good news, quick healing, freedom from pain, and peace of mind. blessings, marlene

Sheryl said...

Beautiful post. In finding your knowledge, you have shared your wisdom. Those things truly are evident in seeing you and John together, and with your family and friends who love you dearly. We have found these things to also be a blessing to our 32 years. You are a wonderful example to all of us! Prayers for surgery day, and every day!!

Sybil said...

Oh Lura, no wonder you are so precious to the Lord. You and John are truly an insperation to us all. and I thank you for that.
( I hadn't realised you were a teacher ! better watch my Ps and Qs now...and oh my spelling,, we will just have to gloss over that one lol)
I know that I have no doubthat you will get on just fine on Monday, the Lord will be by your side all the way.
Goodnight friend,
God Bless you both,
Love Sybil x

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Lura: Had to add my two cents. Your beautiful post also works for "significant others" who I am sure come from another planet, sometimes. LOL I figured out when I change my attitude,(like you said) we get along better.
I am thinking of you and will be praying for you tomorrow that you will fly through this. With all the prayers going for you, you can't miss! Love you my friend and we will all be waiting for the next "Six Sunday Smiles" so this will all we behind us. {{{ Hugs}}} Joy

Gloria Baker said...

My dear Lura, with all my love remember God always love and take care you, and all my prayers are with you, talk you soon again, Blessings,remmeber always you are a child of God, huggss, gloria

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you Lura! You always seem inspired to post what you do. I love you dearly!

Cathyjo said...

Just such a lovely post. I was married for 45yrs. myself until he passed on. But I'm married still in the Temple for Eternity. I wish you both many more yrs. of bliss.xxoo