Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Surgery Smiles

A_staffy's_Sunday_Six

What a difference a week makes!

This time last week, I was drinking broth, eating Jell-o and prepping for the surgery I would have on Monday morning. It wasn’t fun. I was dreading having surgery and the possible outcome.

I am glad that this past week is over…. what a relief!

I am still not feeling very well. It has been 32 years since my last abdominal surgery and I forgot how painful it is. I really am not up to blogging, but I have so much to to be thankful for that I just have to share my smiles with you.

IMG_1725

Early Monday morning, we went to the hospital.   I was glad that the time had finally arrived. Waiting 28 days for the surgery was hard on me, my family and friends.

I was smiling that the long wait to have surgery was over.

IMG_1727

I was smiling that Mindy came to be with me. 

I hated for her to have to get get up so early to be with me before the surgery but she wanted to come.  Having her there was moral support for me and for John.  She said that it made her sad that she couldn’t be with me when I was in the hospital in Utah…. and she wasn’t going to miss this opportunity. How I love this dear daughter!

(She didn’t get in this picture, but I was thanking the nurse who got my IV in on the first try. I have stubborn veins that don’t like to be poked and it usually takes several tries to get the IV in and working.)

I was also smiling that my dear friends, Sil and LouAnn  came to spend that day at the hospital with me too.  (I didn’t get a picture with them before the surgery because they would only allow one person at a time visit me and I didn’t have my camera when they were there. )

IMG_1726

I was smiling that Dr. Hayes was my surgeon.

IMG_1728

I have never had such a caring doctor. She treated me like a friend…. not just a patient that needed fixing.  At my pre-op appointment I told her that I was a religious person and I had faith that God would be with me during my surgery.

Dr. Hayes remembered that. She took my hand and right after this picture was taken she asked me if I would like to pray with her. Of course I said yes.

She said the sweetest prayer, asking God to bless me and help me during the surgery. After she said “Amen” I told her I would like to say a prayer too.  I thanked God for her and asked him to guide her hands and open her mind that she would know clearly what needed to be done during the surgery. After my prayer, her eyes were moist and she said it was the first time a patient had ever prayed for her. I told her that many of us were praying for her.

IMG_1729

Ha… I am afraid that I didn’t have much of a smile after the surgery…. but I thought I was smiling in this picture with Sil. Sil came back after I got home from the hospital and spent 2 days with me.  What a sweet friend.

My surgery was 2 1/2 hours long, but it was 6 hours from the time I left for surgery until family and friends could see me. I took me a long time to wake up in recovery and be taken to my room.  It was a long wait for them.

We were all smiling at the good news….

They did not find any cancer cells…. Yeah!!!

Even though my ovary was attached to my bowel, Dr. Hayes did not have to cut into my bowel…. Yeah!

Dr. Hayes was able to do it laparoscopy….Yeah!   I only have 4 small incisions  instead of one big one which is much less painful and has a much faster recovery time.

…

I am still in a lot of pain and feel yucky…. but my heart is over flowing with thankfulness. I appreciate each of you who have expressed concern and prayed for me.

I feel very blessed and happy with the results of my surgery.

I hope that each of you are doing well too.   Gloria, I am praying that your mom’s surgery went well.  I look forward to getting back into blog world and reading about you as soon as I feel a bit better.

Until then…. I am sending you hugs and best wishes.

23 comments:

Becky said...

God bless you Lura.I'm so glad you are through the surgery and well on your way to great health.
I wish you a speedy uneventful recovery.Blessings,Becky

Kris said...

Lura Dear, We are so relieved and thankful that your surgery went well, that you have not had cancer, that you had a doctor who was willing to be so careful, that you were surrounded by loved ones and that you will be fine soon.
I hope to see you soon. We still have little ones at our house.

Anonymous said...

Lura, I was so happy to hear about the outcome of your surgery. As I told you earlier, I have had a couple of similar scares in my life and it is soooo wonderful when the results come back and are negative...don't you feel like you can do anything now?? Well maybe not, but you know what I mean. I really don't know how you got through 28 days of waiting, that in and of itself is HUGE! You are one strong woman. Good Luck to you on your continued recovery, I hope you begin to feel good again soon.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lura we're all overjoyed at the good news but also we continue our prayers for your healing and strength. blessings, marlene

Gloria Baker said...

Blessings you dear Lura thanks so much, yestarday mom arrive my home and Im take her, (and my dad is here too)today she is much better but all is slowly, you know, I helped her to bath today and was OK, eats only small bites but is for this time.
Now you, Im sooooo happy! your wasnt cancer always is a relief, and now you only have to care you and we continue praying for you, for you feelin better day to day.

Hope you continue recovery snd God continue blessings you. Thanks so much my friend.
Mom is here and told her about you (she kew about your accidente and always I talk about you and Marie) and she said you are SO SWEET!! and thanks, huggs Love yah! gloria

Visits With Mary said...

So happy to see your post today..praying for your quick recovery!

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Welcome back, Lura! So happy to hear from you in blogland. You are "a better man than I" as you are still in such pain...I am still hobbling around on the injured knee, having seen 1 Dr. and another coming up, but can't get my head together enough to post on my blog. Wedding pics will be coming soon! Keep up the good work and 1 more week will make a ton of difference. Hugs, Joy

Buttercup said...

My prayers have been with you all this week and I am thrilled to know your news. I, too, am always grateful after any blood test, for my veins are hard to find. I hope your recovery goes quickly and sending you lots of hugs across the miles.

Jan's Blog said...

Good news all around, and so many wonderful people around to support you through your ordeal. You are much loved...especially by me. Love you, Jan

LeAnn said...

What a relief to find out that all went well. Prayers were answered for sure. I have been waiting to find out how you were doing. Although I connected with you late in your recovery from your accident; I feel a bond of sisterhood with you.
Prayers will continue for you and your sweet companion.
Blessing to you!

Marie Rayner said...

Gloria is so sweet isn't she? Her comments always make me smile, whether I read them on your blog, on someone else's or on my own. What a treasure she is! I loved all your smiles, but then I always do. I am so relieved that this episode in the drama that has been your life this year is now over and with such wonderful results!! Yippee!! What a relief! I am touched that your Doctor would offer a prayer with you prior to your surgery and even more touched that you were able to offer one for her together. What a blessing that must have been. Of course your prayers were joined by countless others. I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who listens to and answers our prayers. I know that He is taking good care of you and watching over you and that now your healing will grow by leaps and bounds and that soon you will be back to normal life. I love you my sweet friend. As always, you are in my deepest thoughts and heartfelt prayers. xxoo

Michelle said...

So happy to hear the good news. Heal quickly!

Cathyjo said...

I'm So glad your cancer free and all went well. And as alway your smiles make me smile. Can't wait for you to get back on your feet and enjoying life.((Hugs00xx

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Your post made me smile. So glad to hear there is no cancer and the surgery could be done laparoscopically. God is so good--all the time! Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery. (((HUGS)))

bettyj said...

Thanking God for your wonderful doctor and you are cancer free. I have a granddaughter who is a physician and she too prays for her patients. Continue to get well Lura. Prayers are still being said in the
mountains of E. Tn

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

So very happy for a successful surgery and a cancer free finding!

I hope the recovery is getting better every day!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a blessing to have such a caring Dr. I am sure your prayer will be remembered for a long time to come!

I know you still have recovery ahead of you, still from the accident and more from the surgery but no cancer is making me smile from ear to ear at the same time my eyes are leaking. Just tbe best news ever!!!!!!!! I just know that this is only the beginning of a much better time for you.

Sending lots of love and extra gentle hugs!!

Joolz said...

It's about time you got a break - I am so happy things went well for you. You are truly blessed to have beautiful family and friends to care of you. Keep on smiling!

Cheers - Joolz (Australia)

The Barton's said...

So glad to hear things are going good. You inspire me so much! Rest up! Sending love and prayers your way!

hoLLy said...

i can't believe you are already blogging lura!! you are so giving, even in the midst of suffering, you still want to blog to share with us your blessings. you are an angel!! i'm so so so so happy there is no cancer! when i found out, i was so thrilled. our prayers have been answered!! i will continue to pray for you to heal in every way...from the car accident and from this surgery(gosh, a double whammy! if you can get through this, you can do ANYTHING! :) LOVE YOU!!!!

Sybil said...

My dear Lura, I am sending many thanks to our dear Lord for your safe return to us..I know that the next few weeks will be ones of steady improvement and you will be back to your own wonderful self very soon.
God Bless...Love also to John and thanks to Sil. for keeping us informed.
Sybil xx

Kris said...

Dear Lura,
What a relief to read that you have had your surgery, and are now home and healing nicely. And above all else, that there was no sign of cancer. You have been through so very much. I hope that you can rest easier now, and that each day brings you closer to a full recovery!
Summer will be over soon, and school back in session. And then perhaps I can slip on over to say hello to you in person.
Hugs,
Kris

Anonymous said...

Oh Lura I'm so happy everything went so well! I'm sorry you're in pain still, but this too shall pass! You are in my prayers and I am continually thankful I have been blessed by knowing you and your family!! You definitely are my hero!! Many hugs and smiles here to there, grateful you are doing well!