On that sunny Friday morning, 46 years ago, when we were asked to vow, in a temple of our God, that we would love and cling unto each other as man and wife for time and all eternity…. we looked at each other, across the alter into our star struck eyes and answered yes with what we thought was all of the love in the world.
We did not dream that we knew little of what love really was back then, when we said those vows. We learned that true love grows through time… through ups and downs…through thick and thin (or thin and thick in our case.)
I hadn’t made any plans for this anniversary…. #46… didn’t seem as important as 45 was or 50 will be. But after our terrible accident that almost took my life and I thought had taken John’s, I realized that every year together should not be taken for granted…. each is a real celebration.
So, even though I was not up to doing much, with the help of John and our friends, we had a lovely day of celebration.
It started out when John took me to breakfast… and barely fussed agreed when I asked the waitress to take our picture
That evening we went out to our favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner with Mindy and Ernie and a nice group of our friends.
Then we returned to our home where the party continued. LouAnn brought us a lovely cake. Kris supplied the ice cream.
John and I surely appreciated our friends and family making this such a nice evening for us.
They had fun looking at our old wedding pictures… and noted that John and I have barely changed a bit….lol
And I got to enjoy the company and the fun right from the comforts of my…
…hospital bed. I am glad that John had my bed put in the family room… I didn’t like that idea at first but it turned out to be a great idea.
So here we are 46 years later…. It turns out that we are happier and much richer than we ever thought we would be…. maybe not as rich in money as we had dreamed… but richer in all the things that really matter…. having love, each other, a great family and wonderful friends is worth more to us than all the money in the world. Yes we are truly blessed and very grateful.
It was a simple, but lovely day…. the very best way to celebrate our 46 years of marriage. My heart is full of gratitude and joy.
Hugs, Lura







12 comments:
What a lovely Anniversary you had Lura! Isn't it funny how it takes almost losing what we have in order to truly appreciate it in a deeper way. I do appreciate my Todd but I guess I take each day for granted and I shouldn't. You and John are such lovely people, Perfect for each other. I love you both dearly. Here's to a whole eternity of wonderful anniversaries together! Your friends and family sure did you both proud! I, for one, am really glad that you are both still here to celebrate on earth! I cannot imagine the alternative! Love you loads and loads and loads!! XXOO
Happy Anniversary to a very special couple!! Isn't it true, you thought back then you had all the love in the world but as time goes on you realize there is so much more!!
So glad you got to celebrate with family and friends but most importantly, each other!! love and hugs!!
Happy Anniversary Lura - what a wonderful day you had. We don't celebrate much on birthdays or anniversarys but the time spent together on those days grows more and more special as the years go on. blessings, marlene
Lura, what a lovely post. You are truly blessed, and blessed to recognize all your blessings. Going out to breakfast is my favorite. Your party looked wonderful and I'm so sorry I missed it. I'd love to see your wedding album. I know your upcoming surgery has been much on your mind so I'm glad you had this happy diversion, if only for a little while. Love you, Jan
Congrats my dear!! what lovely and beauty picture of your wedding!
All the pictures and teh cake look amazing!! huggs and blessings!! gloria
You are amazing both!!! xxgloria
Thank you for sharing your wonderful day with you all. You have such a wonderful loving family and that surely began with your love for each other and the way you treated each other is the way the family treat each other now. what a blessing you and John are..
God Bless you and all those you love,
Sybil xxx
happy 46 years!!! you two are a beautiful couple. the love you have for each other just exudes from your blog! even before i met you, i felt it. you are very special people that i feel so blessed to know! congratulations!!!! hope you are having a good week lura-love ya!
Happy Anniversary to the both of you.This was a lovely post and the pictures were awesome. I am so happy that you have felt well enough to celebrate this great moment of time.
I agree that the love we have as we are married; that love is multiplied many times through the experiences of life.
We celebrated our 44th anniversary on June 13th.
Love, hugs and prayers to you!
what a sweet post Aunt Lura! Congrats to you and uncle John! 46 years of marriage, what an accomplishment! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us all! You really are an inspiration to so many! you are so love by so many! what blessings :) I hope and pray you will continue to heal and wish you well with your upcoming surgery. we will be fasting and praying for you! Thanks again for your uplifting example! I sure love ya.
ps... i know our family would love to come to CA to see you. we just bought a new home and are trying to save, save, save right now. we hope to make a trip this fall or winter to califorina. I hope we can visit you then! Hang in there and know you are so loved! xoxo
A Wonderful Anniversary for a Wonderful Couple! Cherish every moment and look forward to the next. Your post had me in tears regarding how love really grows through the years. Think Happy Thoughts and know I am thinking of you...
Hugs,
Joy
I lv the inspiring words of a happy marriage! Thank you for sharing! I also love seeing pics of all those I lv and who have touched my life! Please give them my lv! As always stay strong, have faith and thx for your encouragement and example!!! Xxxx
Post a Comment