Sunday, July 10, 2011

Smiles from the 4th of July

A_staffy's_Sunday_Six

We had 2 great celebrations this past week. Monday we celebrated the 4th of July.  Yesterday we celebrated our 46th anniversary. Even though I feel a bit anxious about my upcoming surgery, with 2 special events this past week, I had lots to smile about.

Happy 4th

The 4th of July has always been a special holiday for me.

The whole country comes together to celebrate our Independence. This year was extra special for our 11 year old EJ because he got to march in his dad’s high school band parade.

IMG_1633IMG_1968

I was disappointed that I was not up to attending the parade this year, but EJ and Ernie gave us a sneak preview by practicing for us when we went out to Sunday dinner last week. That made me smile.  Then, bright and early Monday morning they headed off to join the band for the July 4th parade.

IMG_1974IMG_1970 

IMG_1973

The kids and Mindy anxiously waited at the sidelines for Ernie and EJ to appear.

IMG_1981

Everyone was cheering as Ernie’s band marched by.

Poster2

EJ kept up with those high school kids, note by note and step by step. I wasn’t there to see him but Mindy kept me updated  by  phone and you can be sure   I was smiling.

IMG_1636

At 10:30 John and I headed over to our Church baseball field/ picnic center for a patriotic program and a great pot luck lunch.

It was fun to get out of bed and the house. John happily wore consented to wear our matching red, white and blue shirts. Everyone was glad to see us and thought we looked corny cute. Smile…Smile

IMG_1642IMG_1641IMG_1635IMG_1646

 Being with friends, singing patriotic songs, watching the program and having a great lunch made me smile. The kids even put on a patriotic bike parade for us. (It wasn’t quite as good as being at Ernie’s parade but it still made me smile.)

IMG_1990IMG_1647

I was not healed enough to attend the Angel’s game and firework show with our kids this year…. and I was kind of bummed out  disappointed about that…

…but….

Craig and Kris were kind enough to invite us over to their home to join them, Jan and their family for their traditional 4th of July party. We didn’t want to intrude on their family time but when we didn’t show up at the appointed time, Jan called us and said they all wanted us to come.  Wasn’t that nice! We went over had a great time. They have a wonderful family.  We were smiling that they would include us in their fun.

IMG_1665 IMG_1668

That evening we went home and watched the Boston Pop’s concert and fireworks show. This annual program always makes me smile….. I love the Boston Pops.  I hope that I can be there in person one day. That would really make me smile

These are my 4th of July smiles.

Let me know how you celebrated the 4th.

In my next post I will tell you about our Happy Anniversary # 46.

I am sorry that I have not done much blogging this past week.  I’ve been feeling kind of “out of it”. I will do better this week.

I am sending you best wishes and hugs.

Have a great week.

12 comments:

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Happy (belated) Anniversary! Sorry I missed being on time with these wishes. :(

The Barton's said...

I love your matching shirts. We had dinner at our house with our friends. We got 1 of the firework boxes that shoots in the sky. We loved it. I was trying to decide if I wanted to keep my blog. I have a hard time keeping up with it. I decided to keep it. I have been thinking of ways to post to keep it going and interesting. So, I am going to copy your Sunday Smiles idea. I hope I can remeber to do it. lots o love

StitchinByTheLake said...

Jerry and I watched the Boston Pops here at the mission Lura - wasn't it wonderful? I'm glad you had a good 4th! Jerry and I will be celebrating our 47th on October 7th. It seems you and I have lots in common. :) blessings, marlene

Visits With Mary said...

Y'all look so cute in your matching shirts! So glad to see you had a great 4th...Happy 46th Anniversary, Mr D and I will celebrate 49 in December...Looks like we both got "keepers".:=)

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Lura: What a cute couple in your matching patriotic shirts! Love them! Glad you got out of the house; sounds like you had a nice 4th. I, too, love parades. Also love the Boston Pops; always watched them. I spent the 4th in the E.R. so missed all our wonderful fireworks. Doing all the Dr. things this week and next. Happy 46th Anniversary; We made it to 49 wonderful, happy years in 2000. Love ya, Joy

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I am so happy to see a post from you. I was getting really worried about you! Love the matching shirts. You and John are so cute! Happy Anniversary! I think it's great that you are now able to get out and about a bit, even if it is a struggle to do so. I am keeping up my prayers for you and putting you onto the Temple Roll here at Preston. You are being carried aloft by many prayers you know. It won't be long now, only a few more days. I love you my sweet friend and am praying for you to have strength to do whatever you need to do. I miss you. xxoo
PS Love the Boston Pops!

Cathyjo said...

So glad to hear about your 4th. And your Anniversary.I know it's late but Happy Anniversary and many more.And you both look just Adorable in your shirts.I've been worried about you. Your name is in at the Temple. I know all will go well as the Lord is with you. And my prayers go to the Lord as always for you. Love xxxooo

Gloria Baker said...

Happy Anniversary dear Lura!! You and hubby look absolutely nice with these shirtrs I love them!! The pictures look amazig and lovely!! send you huggs and kisses my friend and huggs to you, gloria

Gloria Baker said...

My dear Lura, tahnks by comment, about the recipe the excatly translate will be "meringue chunks" you know this is hard meringue in pieces, normally bought in Bakerys and Super. Thanks dera. LOL Gloria

Sybil said...

I am so glad that you were abe to get out and about to enjoy the 4th July celebrations. There is nothing quite like that over here..would be nice if we could galvanise Brits. to be a bit more patriotic !! There are very many local celebrations in villages and even in some towns but nothing universal... I too love you and John's matching shirts..
Many prayers flying upwards for you from our Methodist Church in Box as well..
Love Sybil xx

bettyj said...

I am so glad you had a wonderful day. Your shirts were very festive. I was just thinking how much you have to celebrate and to be thankful for. Praying for your upcoming surgery.
betty

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Lura!! You are quite an inspiration to me - 46 years is amazing!! Congratulations!!

Wasn't the Pops wonderful this year?? I think it was one of the best! I used to have going there on my bucket list, but the reality of getting into Boston very early in the morning and maybe finding parking within a few miles of the half shell, and then fighting hundreds of thousands of people to find a spot to maybe be able to wait ALL DAY in the heat and sun to see them, and having to use porta potties with all those people...welll, I decided to watch at home and be happy I could! LOL

Even though you may not hear from me as much, you have to know I have not forgetten you my dear friend. I am fine, just making the 15 miles one way trip back and forth to my folks house more often than I used to these days. And Lili wants my full attention when she is here and so my compter time has really been cut back.

I know how anxious you are about surgery. I wish I had a magic wand to make it all done, and you all healed. I can and will send up prayers on your behalf and you will be in my heart and on my mind!

Love and hugs!