This is my blog friend, Buttercup.
She used to be just my blog friend from Buttercup Counts Her Blessings but now she is my real life friend as well.
(She lives in Manhattan and visiting her blog is like taking a mini trip to NYC.)
Last week she attended a BlogHer convention in San Diego which is 100 miles from my little spot of the world.
My birthday was Saturday. When John asked me what I wanted for my birthday I said I wanted him to drive me to meet Buttercup…. so he did.
I thought that was really nice of my hubby (I guess he didn’t complain because I got him to drive 1000 miles to meet Marie… lol)
and
I was thrilled to meet dear Buttercup.
We picked her up at her hotel and took her to Old Town San Diego which is rich with history and Mexican Folk Lore.
We watched the colorful dancers… listened to the festive music…
…And visited while we shared a delicious meal together.
We also went to the Mormon Battalion visitor center where we were taken along on the longest Military march in American history…. 2000 miles from Iowa to San Diego starting in July of 1846.
The story of the Mormon Battalion is one of faith, courage and accomplishment. If you would like to read about their story click HERE
If you would like to see more pictures of the Mormon Battalion Historic Site or get it’s location click Here
We all enjoyed the tour at the Mormon Battalion visitor center. Buttercup had studied American Religious history of the 1800s but she did not know about the historic accomplishments of the Mormon Battalion. Learning about the way they persevered to accomplish great things in spite of their hardships gave Buttercup and me new resolve to get through the physical challenges we face.
Our day with Buttercup was one of joy.
It was a lovely birthday gift for me.
She is a woman of faith.
She is a valued friend.
She faces having the same surgery in a few weeks that I just had. She is concerned… as I was… as any one is when they are told they might have cancer… but she has faith and an optimistic attitude. Please remember her in your prayers and go to her blog and give her a little bloggy love.
Well… this is post # 3 about my birthday… I bet that you are glad that I will only do one more which will be my next Sunday Six Smiles. Please bear with me because I’ve learned not to take birthdays for granted…. I and want to document each precious moment of them.
I’ll see you again on Sunday…. Until then… Hugs from Lura







10 comments:
As I think I said before I am just a wee bitty jealous of you meeting up with "Buttercup" She is so lovely and I long for the day she can get over to the UK and Bath..what times we will have I'm sure. anyway I am glad that you three were able to have such a lovely visit.
I know it is a long slow business this healing Lura but when you look back only a few short weeks ago it is amazing how much you have come on...I am sure all these 100's of prayers have been helping you along..
Much Love Always Sybil x
You have had a fun packed busy, busy birthday. Meeting Buttercup is definitely a highlight. I was worried that you were planning too many things to do that weekend. But, you look bright eyed. Are you exhausted now?
Do you plan to see the 'Beatles' Sat. night?
Oh how wonderful that you could meet Buttercup in person. I know how very special it was for me to meet you and get to spend time with you, so I know how much Buttercup must have loved this day. It has done my heart good to see you enjoying your time together. You have come so far and I know it is prayers and the love that our Heavenly Father has for you and for John. John is such a special man. I was so greatful that he drove 1000 miles so that we could meet too!! I can't wait for Todd to be able to meet him and YOU one day. Hopefully not in the too distant future!! I love you much my bestest friend in the world. xxoo
Hello from Ontario Canada Lura! I have been following your blog for awhile but have never commented and here I am . You are a courageous lady for all you have been through . Such an inspiration! I have read all your posts since Marie started praying for you when you had your accident . You have come so far and then to have gone through another surgery . When I saw that you met your blog friend Buttercup I felt I finally had to send you good wishes and tell you that prayers have been coming your way all along from Canada too. You have a beautiful family and wonderful supportive friends that is so important. I am an RN in Toronto Ontario and have a xstitch blog but it often tells other things also . I just want to wish you the best for a full recovery and sorry I haven't written sooner.
xo Jennifer
Im sooo hapy you meet buttercup in person, so nice, I think she is lovely, Im sure dear if some day I go to USA we will close friends too, and we would have a lovely time!!
I enjoy your post, have a nice weekend dear Lura, (I sent you a mail) LOL gloria
I'm so happy that you are feeling well enough for a quick trip to San Diego. It is so beautiful there, it had to lift your spirits. It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday, that's great!
Lura: What could be more fun than to meet a blog buddy! I am so jealous but am happy you were able to make the trip and have it for a perfect birthday present. At our age who wants more "stuff?" A trip is a perfect gift!
As for me, hang in there; I think I may post soon. Have been incredibly busy...Love ya, Joy
I'm just catching up on blog visits, and what a treat this post is. I feel I'm back on that lovely day in San Diego having the best time with you and John. I feel so blessed that I was happy to spend time with friends. I think we definitely need a trip to England! Hugs and lots of love!
Oh how fun...so glad you got to meet another friend and show her around.
so glad you got to meet her! sounds like a great lady!! i'll keep her in my prayers for her upcoming surgery.
Post a Comment