Happy June Everyone
Can it really be June??? I’ve always loved June since that was when school got out and I could spend the summer with my family…. However, this year I can’t believe it is June already.
Somehow time seems to be passing me by as I lie here in bed day after day. It was March when we started out on our journey to Utah. As I walk around the house I notice that all of our calendars are still open to March. My mind is still stuck in March but time is marching on…… even though I am not….. at least not as fast as I wish.
However, John and I are getting better.
These are some of the things that are making me smile.
It used to be so painful that it took my breath away. Now I can get up and down quite easily.
2. I can take a few steps without my walker.
I am unsteady and don’t walk far without the walker, but I can walk short distances without it. It makes me feel so independent considering that 2 months ago I had to have two therapists walking beside me, supporting me when I tried to take a few steps…. even with a walker.
3. My pain is better controlled now, without as much medication.
I hurt all the time but the pain is more in the background now instead of consuming me. I would say that I am more uncomfortable than in bad pain.
4. I can roll over onto my right side for short periods of time to sleep now. I have always been a “side sleeper”. I have never liked lying on my back to sleep. It feels so good to be able to change positions once in a while. I can’t roll onto my left side yet….. but hopefully that day is coming.
5. I can shower and pretty much take care of my personal needs without assistance.
The weeks of having to have help with every personal hygiene thing I did was hard for me…. and very humiliating. This may come as a shock to you but I do not have a “Center- fold model” type body. (Not that I look at Center -fold model pictures…. I don’t need to, to know I have absolutely no resemblance to them!!!) I smile now, each time I can shower, dress and take care of my personal needs without help. (….And I imagine my care givers are greatly relieved happy too.)
6. Everyone is being really kind to me. Mindy and Ernie make us Sunday dinner each week. Friends come to visit, help with house work, blow dry my hair, bring food, watch movies with me, rub my back and do so many things to help me and make me smile……
…and then there is John…He is such a sweet caregiver.
This is just one example of the cute things he does for me. He not only feeds me well….he is a nut does it with style. This is the breakfast he brought me the other day. Now wouldn’t that make you smile!
Even though I sometimes have tearful melt- downs, most of the time I am happy. I have much to smile about and much to be thankful for.
Your sweet comments also give me many smiles. Thank you so much for your prayers and support.
I pray for all those who have lost so much from the awful storms we are having in the US lately.
I hope that you have had a good week. Tell me about your smiles.
Have a great week. Hugs, Lura







16 comments:
Hi Lura, I love that plate John fixed for you. :) I know my husband would fix good food but presentation would not be his strong suit! We got to the mission yesterday afternoon in record time and have settled in and begun work. I'll let you know more later. blessings, marlene
So glad to see pictures of your bed without you in it!! You are doing so great. Isn't it wonderful to be spoiled and loved and cared for. when you give as you always have...people can't help but respond in kind. ((((hugs))))
I am glad that you have several things to smile about, even during this trying time. I look forward to our next visit! Lots of love to you!
P.S.- I have posted a new blog too. :)
You have a wonderful list of Sunday Smiles. I'm sorry my ailments are keeping me from being a greater help to you. All my grand plans for when you got home seem to have fizzled and it just breaks my heart. I'm going to put forth a great effort to be more other centered than self centered. I love you and hope to see you in a day or two. Sending tiny little hugs!!!
That cute breakfast plate would make anyone smile..you are so blessed to have such wonderful people around you..
That cute breakfast plate would make anyone smile..you are so blessed to have such wonderful people around you..
You have so many wonderful people around you!
I'm so happy to hear that you are healing and becoming more independent again.
But, I love that you have so many people around to help out.
I am glad you are feeling better, but hope being 'uncomfortable' changes to feeling back to normal really soon. :( You are still in my thoughts & prayers, wish I could do more--but you definitely have a cheering section down in TX. Thank you for your updates, humor, and great example of how to handle life's trials. :)
So great to hear of the things that make you smile! We have been busy moving. We move alot! I don't like to but it happens! We hope to stay a while. We love our new neighborhood and our new ward! We had several families stop by to welcome us tonight! Visitors from outside the neighborhood comment on the fact that everyone waves and smiles as you drive by! Have a wonderful week! Love, norma
Your smiles always make me smile too Lura. I am glad that you are doing better. Each day it will get a little bit better and before too long this will all hopefully be nothing more than a distant memory. I love the picture of that breakfast John made for you. I know you had told me about it, but it was nice seeing it. What a sweetie pie. I am so grateful that you have some wonderful helpers there doing what I wish I could do for you. I am glad also that you are able to do the more personal stuff for yourself now. I know how humbling and humilating that must have been for you. I do not have a model's body either and I cannot bear the thought of having anyone see me in that way. The thought makes me cringe in the biggest way!! I am always so happy when I see a post from you pop up. It makes my day to read your words and also to read your comments on my own page. I love you my dear sister of the heart! Hope to talk soon. xxoo
Good morning Lura,
I am sure it is hard to be upbeat and positive much of the time but I am so pleased you can see the progress you have made and how far you have come on this journey you wish you had never started. I totally undesrstand how important it is to feel you can handle your own personal care once again. I would find that hard too.
Now each time you post your smiles, I am betting the progress is even more evident.
I have needed to replace my printer and then my computer mouse died too so please don't think I have forgotten you - in addition to not as much free time, I just have some technical difficluties making it harder to check in and print my cards!
Praying for a wonderful week dear friend!! lots of ever so gentle hugs!!
So glad tohear your doing better and have things to smile about.Your post has make me smile TY.Gee your lucky to get off your back.I'm still stuck on mind,I keep trying get off of it.I've always been a side perso also.Well I know the time will come.I think I still have things to learn.PATIENCES.You are in my prayers.(HUGS)
Ive got lots to smile about but one of the main things is knowing that you are getting better and better...It is so good to see you are up and about lots and that you are surrounded by so many good friends not to mention darling John..
Keep smiling Much Love Sybil xx
its so nice to hear things are improving for you, i know its still terribly hard, but i'm glad you still have things to smile about! and that john is a gem:) love the breakfast he brought you-so sweet:) i'm so glad you are able to move around a bit more than you were, i bet its nice to see improvements. it'll only get better! yea! you are a miracle. i love ya!!
Your post are so inspiring to me. I just can't imagine the pain you have had to suffer and yet you are smiling. The pictures tell the story and I am so happy you are making good progress. You will be up and around much better soon I am sure. You have great faith and therefore you will receive the promises of the blessings I am sure you have received. Loved John's breakfast; he is an eternal keeper for sure.
Prayers are sent for you and I love reading your post today.
Blessings and prayers for you!
Dear Lura
I haven't visited your blog for quite a while but am so happy to hear you are doing well and getting better every day. You sure are one lucky lady with such love and support from your hubby and beautiful family and friends. What you have put into your life you are receiving back.
Best wishes to you on your road to recovery,
Joolz
My smile for today - my younger daughter heading off to school with a smile on her face, even though she has a maths exam and my older daughter is coming home from Uni for one week of swat vac so that makes me smile too! :)
Post a Comment