It was one of those once in a lifetime days for us.
Actually, that is not true.
It was the third time in our lifetime that we
have had the privilege of attending our child's or grandchild's
missionary farewell.
Our son David served his 2 year mission in Argentina.
Our son David served his 2 year mission in Argentina.
Our daughter Erin served sign language mission to the deaf community
throughout the United States.
He will serve the Lord for 2 years in Guatemala in one of the areas
Grampy John served his mission from Sept. 1961 to March 1964.
He will join the 50,000 other Mormon missionaries
who are serving throughout the world.
If you would like to learn more about our church
and missionary program click here
and missionary program click here
Afterwards friends and family gathered at his home to eat,
wish him well and say goodbye. Here Lynell and Erin are grabbing a bite to eat.
Justin has studied the scriptures at home and at church since he was a youth.
Since our missionaries must pay their own way, Justin has worked hard to save money for his missionary fund.
Four weeks ago we took him to Mr. Mac's to buy his missionary wardrobe.
6 pairs of slacks,
12 white shirts
2 pairs of good shoes,
12 pairs of socks and underwear
and several ties.
time helping him pick out all of his new clothes.
I was smiling that family was generous in helping him get the things he needed.
to attend a session at the Salt Lake Temple.
It was wonderful being in that beautiful historic building
worshiping the Lord together.
All these things culminated in this farewell today.
Fran and Dee just got home from their Australian mission and joined us.
Justin's Grampy and Dad wish him well.
...
We have a hymn that says...
I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord,
Over mountain or plain or sea.
I'll say what you want me to say dear Lord,
I'll be what you want me to be.
...
...
I am smiling that this dear grandson is ready and eager to go and
serve the Lord by serving the people of Guatemala.
We will miss him during the 2 years he will be away,
but I know that the Lord will bless him.
He will learn things from his mission experiences that will bless the rest of his life.
God be with you,Grandson, until we meet again.
These things are making my heart smile.
God be with you,Grandson, until we meet again.
These things are making my heart smile.
Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor event at Lincoln center also made me smile this week.
I hope that you have had lots of smiles this week too.
I hope that you have had lots of smiles this week too.








12 comments:
Oh Lura, what lovely smiles you have had this week. First getting to spend some special time with Erin and the kiddies and now being able to spend such a special time with the rest of your family. You truly are blessed. I just know that Justin will be a fabulous missionary. His example has already touched me. Actually the example your whole family sets has touched and inspired me to want to be a better person. I just love you all. Todd and I will keep Justin in our special prayers while he is on his mission. May he be safe and happy while he serves the Lord. XXOO
It must be a nerve-wracking thing, embarking on such a long mission; a big step for a young man to take. Will he be able to get home at all during his 2 years. I wish him well and, as one of yours, I just know he will have a happy and successful mission and make the most of whatever experience comes his way.
how awesome to send your grandson off to serve the Lord-he is one handsome missionary and will do wonderful things i know(of course he will if hes part of your family! :) i bet it was a tearful day-tears of joy and tears of sadness, with everyone going to be missing him. but mostly joy i know! good luck justin! he'll be in our prayers while he is away.
Another wonderful post Lura! I wish your grandson well and admire him for his service to others! I think all churches should support this kind of mission. I will keep him in my prayers!
HUGS!
What a wonderful time you all have had. You may or may not know that I am not a memeber of the Morman church over here in the UK, I am what I would say first and foremost a Christian that enjoys the comunity of Methodists in this little village of mine. Inpast years I have been equally at home within the Church of Scotland and the Baptist chuch, but here in Box it is the Methodist Church that I feel most comfortable in. However having said all that I admire your Grandson so very very much and I will bepraying along with I know all his family for a safe journey not only in the next two years but throughout his life, I am sure he will be blessed in all he does to take our Lords words out into our troubled world.
Love Sybil xx
You certainly have had some wonderful mile stones lately! Congrats to Justin and his family. Thank you for sharing your smiles!
Congratulations on your new missionary, Lura. Justin is a very cute boy, is he your oldest grandchild? I can't believe Lynell has a son this old, I remember when she turned 15 and you explained to me what an insignificant birthday it was to her...16 was going to be the BIG one and now look at her. I have two friends who have a son/grandson going to Guatemala, they both just entered the MTC in the last couple of weeks. One is going to Guatemala City and the other to Guatemala North (I think), things must be happening down there. Good Luck to Justin. Erin's new little baby is so cute, I'm sure happy for their family.
What a great send-off! So glad you were able to be there for the festivities and the new wardrobe.
You have such beautiful children and grandchildren Lura - not just beautiful on the outside but also on the inside. You can see joy shining from their eyes and their actions reflect a true love for the Lord and for His work. I know you are proud and pleased at how they have "turned out" and are very aware of what a gift this is. blessings, marlene
Oh how we are going to miss our Justin... but we are so proud of him and know he will be a wonderful missionary. He will touch many hearts and teach them of our Saviors love. Our prayers will be with him constantly!
Love you mom, miss you already!
hey grammy i miss you guys so much.. we had so much fun with you and justin i hope to see you guys soon.. love you
hey grammy i miss you guys so much.. we had so much fun with you and justin i hope to see you guys soon.. love you
Post a Comment