Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Sunday Six Smiles for today


I surely do have a lot of smiles to share with you today.
In fact.... my face is sore from so much smiling this week.


1. This precious little Peanut makes me smile.

Little Elli has been ours for exactly one week today.
Wouldn't you smile if this sweet baby joined your family???

My face and heart are full of smiles.

We are so happy and so thankful.

2. Ellie's birthmom makes me smile.
She makes me smile because she wants her sweet baby to have more than she could give her right now. She wants Ellie to have both a mother and a father.

Her loving sacrifice for her baby touches my heart.....but her sense of humor also makes me smile. She knows that Patrick and Erin and most of our family are BYU grads and avid fans. We bleed BYU blue. She graduated from University of Utah....our biggest rival. Notice the red U of U dress on little Ellie.

This is what her birth mom dressed Ellie in to leave the hospital.


So Pat and Erin brought Ellie home to meet our family dressed in Ute Red with a big U on her dress and on her little hat.


That cracks me up..... so funny... even at that difficult time her birth mom had a sense of humor. Smile, smile, smile.


3. Laura makes me smile.

I still can't believe she redid my blog for me.
I won her giveaway (I rarely win anything so that made me smile).

She was giving away a header design but she took pity on me and redid my whole
blog. I told her I liked pink roses, lace and hearts. She gave me just what I asked. Thanks again for my makeover Laura.
...



4. Mindy and Ernie's new car makes me smile.
Mindy and Ernie have needed a new car for the past 5 years since Austin was born.
They barely fit into their Toyota.
They have been saving for their "Dream Car" for 5 years.
Ernie even taught an extra period at school last year to add to the "car" fund.
They finally got their Escalade the week before we left for our Utah/Wyoming annual family reunion trip.


It is a beautiful car with all the "bells and whistles".
It would not have been my choice (I'm into hybrids to save $ on gas) but I am tickled pink that they have the car of their dreams and they are so happy with it.

Having this nice car made the long drive to Wyoming a pleasure for them and the kids who watched DVDs and played video games on the 2 TV screens all the way.
I remember driving long miles across the dessert with my mom,
when I was young, in a car that didn't have a radio or air conditioning.
Times have surely chanced!

...
5. John showing his mission slides make me smile.

Before we left for Utah, John searched for days to find the slides he had taken during the 2 1/2 years he was a missionary in Central America in the 1960s.
Our Grandson, Justin, pictured here with Grampy, has been called to serve in the same area of Guatemala that John was in 47 years ago.


I was so fun seeing Grampy as a 19 year old missionary.... by the way...he looked just like Justin does now. We couldn't believe how much they look alike.
We enjoyed seeing the country and the people.

Justin is excited and anxious to go and serve there for 2 years.

You can tell that the whole family was spellbound watching the slides and listening to Grampy's mission stories..... lol (Just kidding...this was after the slides were over.)
...

6. Driving home from Utah with E.J. made me smile.

This is the second year in a row that E.J. has stayed in Utah a couple of days after his family left and driven home with us. That gave him 2 more days to play with his cousins and 2 days to spend with us on the drive home.
I thought he would not want to drive home with us now that he has that fancy new Escalade to drive home in... but he did.



I got really sick and was throwing up the night before we left Utah to come home.
I was afraid I might have a terrible trip home but I got better
and made it home just fine.


We loved that we got to have E.J. all to ourselves for 2 days.
The trip is so much more fun when we can share it with a grandchild.
...
Well those are my 6 smiles for this week.
Actually I have had many more that I am anxious to share with you



but I have rambled on for long enough today.
...



We just got back from our Utah/Wyoming trip a week ago but I am heading back up there in a couple of days to meet my Ellie and help Erin with "big" brother Cal.


My John will hold down the fort here as I fly off to Utah.
That makes me smile too.
I will take my new lap top and check into blog world when I can.
Meanwhile I will be hugging and singing to my grand babes.
Isn't that a happy thought!!!!
I hope you have a good week too.

7 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, your smiles made my heart smile too!! I love that we can share these heart smiles with each other, even though we are thousands of miles apart! I am really hoping that you can scan some of John's missionary photos to share with me! How wonderful that your Justin will now be serving in the same area. I think it's amazing! I just know you are going to have a wonderful time hugging those grandkiddies of yours, especially little Ellie! What a dear she is! You touch my heart my dear friend in so very many special ways. I just love you so much! I hope that we will have a chance to talk before you go away, but even if we don't, you know that a little piece of my heart and a lot of my love go with you wherever you are! xxoo

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That Ellie is ADORABLE! And, the birth mother's choice of going home outfit? That's hilarious.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Ellie is just adorable and what a wonderful gift God has given your family. :) When I was a little girl we drove from Arkansas to California at least every other summer to my grandmothers - and there were 4 of us kids with no air conditioning. I remember one summer that The Battle of New Orleans was the number 1 song on the radio. We knew every word and sang loudly every time it came on. Finally, my mother had all she could stand and wouldn't let us sing another time! blessings, marlene

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Precious little peanut looks like she is smiling too. What a sweet picture.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh Lura!! I am leaking from my eyes right now! What a blessing to have that adrable peanut join such a wonderful loving family!! Alkl your reasons made me smile too but that one, well it made this Grammee leak! ENJOY your extra time with her!!

Tara D. said...

You really do have so much to smile for. What a precious new grandbaby you have. Love that her birth mother dressed her in the U of U attire. :) And how exciting that your grandson will serve in the same mission as your husband served.

Sybil said...

What a wonderful smiley week you sure have had..that new baby is so so gorgeous...I begin to think maybe you have too many grandkids and so if you ever need to shed some theres a place vacant in my heart !! Have another glorious week.
much Love Sybil xx