Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wednesday Wisdom and Winner


Happy Wednesday everyone.
It is time to select my give-away winner of the $20 in gift cards..
I wish I could pick all of you...but hey... I am a retired teacher...
not Bill Gates!!!
I wrote all of your names on pieces of paper.
I couldn't use the random generator to select the winner
(Not that I know how to do that anyway!)
because you got 1 chance for each comment you left and extra entry chances
if you tried to answer citrus quiz
or if you left a comment on Marta's amazing photography blog and told her what great pictures she took of our darling new grandson Calan.
I folded all the names in half and put them in a basket.

I had a non-biased third party pick one name.
...
And the WINNER is....

*** KRYSTYN***
Way to go Krystyn.
Krystyn is a sweet blog friend that always leaves me nice comments and sends me emails.
She is a chemistry high school teacher and the mother of two darling little girls.
Krystyn send me your address in a email and I will send the gift cards right off to you.
I hope you enjoy them.
...
And now the moment you have all been on pins and needles
waiting for...
...the answers to John's Citrus Quiz...
No one got all of them right but
Holly, Patsy, Grandma B, Evelyn Theresa and Angie came close
and got an "A" for effort...
I am impressed by your citrus knowledge gals!

So.. for this week's Wednesday Wisdom...
The answers to the citrus quiz are.... (from the middle clockwise)...

CHANDLER POMELO (my favorite citrus) , POMELO HYBRID, COCKTAIL GRAPEFRUIT, TEXAS PINK GRAPEFRUIT, MARSH GRAPEFRUIT, LIME, LEMON, MORO BLOOD ORANGE, TANGELO, and up on top of the
Chandler pomelo are the little KUMQUATS.
By the way, the diameter of the Chandler pomelo is 8 inches...amazing huh!!!
We also grow several varieties of oranges, avocados, nuts and other fruits not pictured here.
I complain too much about our warm/hot climate but it surely is good for our orchard produce.
John works hard in the orchard and we are blessed with delicious fruits.
...
Thanks to all of you for reading my blog.
A special thanks to all of you that comment and leave me love.
You are all winners to me.
Have a great day.
Hugs, Lura

17 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh! Yay! I'm so excited, Grammy! Thanks so much. Off to send you my address:)

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I didn't know kumquats are orange. For some reason I thought they were green. :-(

hoLLy said...

congrats to krystyn! and thanks for the A for the fruit guessing-my answers were pathetic really, but thanks anyways:) at least i got a couple right!

Sheryl said...

YOu are so fun! Congrats to Krystyn!

Luigi said...

Oh Lura,
What a nice post! No wonder I felt so at home when I was with you years ago. I truly missed you when I left ya know? There was so effort put into remembering you and your birthdays every year since then, because it's easy to think of those we love and consider special and dear.
I'm feeling a lot better. I had have enough of medicinal herb teas, etc I don't like them at all :&( I had a busy day today but I will have a consultation with a Dr tomorrow.
A big hug from southern Argentina to you and John!

Jan's Blog said...

This is such a fun idea. With luck I will get my giveaway posted in the next day or two...it's gonna be a little different, but I hope fun. It was fun to enter and fail the quiz...I got 2 right! That's pathetic! Love to you, Jan

bows and more said...

I have not stopped by lately! I miss you! Wow that awsome news about Loni! She is a super star! I think this is just the begining of great things! I can't wait until she wins so you think you can dance and I can say " I know that beautiful dancer" WOW!!! Way to go!Hope you are feeling well soon! Sending you HUGS! Kelsi

bows and more said...

Oh and P.S. Way to go Johnny! And you hubby John has so mad skills on the bars lol!

Grandma B said...

Congrats to Krysten !!!

And thanks for the almost "A" on the citrus guesses....it was fun...and the Kumquats brought back memories of younger years.

Not much going on here today...the sun did shine, but it's a bit cool. Tomorrow we will be planting a few more flowers....we are beoming just like a couple of turtles. Stay well my friend. LOL

Marie Rayner said...

Congratulations to your lucky winner Lura!! I am so excited for her. John looks so happy picking your winner. I just loved seeing the pictures of him. He is such a sweet man! I love you both! Thanks for answering the mystery surrounding your citrus fruit as well. I knew that the large one was a pomelo and of course the orange, lemon, lime and Kumquats but had no idea what the others were! You and John introduced me to kumquats and I found them quite addictive! It was so fun to get to chat with you yesterday evening. An unexpected bonus! I send you both oodles of love. XXOO

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Congrats to the winner. I would never have come close to naming those! It must be wonderful to have them fresh, right from your own orchard! YUMMO!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Congrats to the winner!

I have never learned more about fruit in my life!

I hope you have a great weekend with all the grandbabies!

Baak Talk said...

I remember being privliged to sample some of those yummy fruits. You sure have added a bunch!

Kris said...

Congrats to Krystn.
You are so fun Lura!
Are you all better?
The citrus quiz was a cute idea. I meant to answer it ...darn. Anyway they all look delicious. Does John have a favorite fertilizer?
We really enjoyed the pummelo you gave us to try.

Sheba's Mommy said...

Congratulations Krystyn! That's awesome!

Lura, I just can't wait for next week! Thanks!!

-chelsea

Karen said...

HI Lura - I'm new at this blogging thing so I couldn't figure out any other way to show you that I was at your blog. Mine is ronandkarensnow.blogspot.com so come on over and say hello sometime

Amandawhatever said...

Hi this is Amanda. Oh tell krystyn congrats from me from amanda