Saturday, August 30, 2008

We thought this day would never come.

My hubby has been waiting for this day with happy anticipation for about 9 months.




As the day drew closer he got more and more excited.
...
He insisted that we buy new equipment to get ready for it... even though I felt what we had was plenty good enough.
...
A week ago he started a daily count down.... which turned to an hourly countdown yesterday.
...
What... might you ask..... caused this anticipation?





Was it a new baby coming to our family?





Was it a wedding?

Was it a birthday?


Was it a visit from distant family or friends?



No!
It was the start of the BYU football season.
He wasn't feeling very well today but he perked right up when the game came on. Here he is with Austin ready to cheer on the mighty Cougars.
He is wearing the BYU tee- shirt and hat that our sons-in-law, Patrick and Dathan sent him. You notice that he is wearing ear phones to hear the computer play by play as well as the TV sports commentators.
We are a true blue BYU family.
John and I met at BYU and graduated from there. All of our kids except Mindy are BYU kids and blue through and though. (Mindy and Ernie both got their BA & Masters from Cal State Fullerton, but we still love them..... and... I am going to come out the closet and admit that I got my Masters from Cal Poly but don't tell anyone.)
...
Patrick and John are the world's most enthusiastic BYU Cougar fans. They both are so cute.
They usually keep in touch with each other by phone before, during and after the game.
Last year before we retired, Patrick got an extra ticket to a game. John drove all the way to Utah to go to it. (I couldn't get away from work that Friday so he left me home. LEFT ME HOME! When he learned about the ticket he KISSED ME GOODBYE, jumped in the car and drove up all by himself.)


This is Patrick and Erin at today's game. I got this picture from her blog.

Erin and Patrick have season tickets and attend every home game no matter what the weather. Their enthusiasm is contagious.

The next few months my husband's well being depends on how good the Cougars do. Luckily BYU won today so he is feeling fine. In the past it has been a different story if BYU lost.

Maybe I should get a defibrillator to have on hand just in case there are some close calls. I'm not so sure that my Grampy's heart can stand this kind of excitement at his age.

Wish us luck and "Rise and Shout the Cougars are out"

15 comments:

Sheryl said...

Go Cougars!! There is nothing like a true blue Cougar fan...some of very favorite people have the fever, we are so happy you are true blue too. Our Son Brendon is the absolute fan in our family, and of course BYU Alumni are the best fans ever!
Keep a close watch on Grampy's heart!

Marie Rayner said...

hahaha I had to laugh as I read this Lura! GO COUGARS!!! My Todd is not really much of a sports fan, although we do watch the English play in Word footie matches and enjoy them! I hope it's a good season for John, and the Cougars! XXOO

Gloria Baker said...

I understand you really!! Here Hubby and son look all the foo tball games!!and Gerardo Jr. sometimes all day is with football ball!you may understand M. Esperanza hate the football!!
Love the pictures, eyy Erin cut her hair, is lovely allways I send her a hug and kisses and course to you, have a lovely day!!! xxGloria

Erin said...

I love that the men in our lives can share such a fun bond! As I type this Patrick is reading the Sunday newspaper. We get the paper only during BYU football season so he can read, watch and listen to every detail... I love it!

If you come up on a game day Patrick can find you tickets... tempting, huh?

joyh82 said...

My dh is a big Mizzou Tigers fan!
He watched the game last night.
My dd is doing great now after her tonsilectomy. Thanks for asking and visiting my blog.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Too funny! We are big football fans in this house too - pro ball now though. Our son was an all star in high school and college (local state college). I can tell you some freezing stores of cheering him on in below zero weather! LOL An of course we are huge Patriots fans!

I can imagine how hard it would be to think of cider when it is so hot out. I think the good Lord knew what he was doing when planned out that I would live out most of my years in NE.

Thanks so much for always leaving such sweet comments. I really appreciate your visits!

GO COUGARS!! :-)

The Bright Family said...

Go Texas A&M!! (I know I'm going to get in big trouble for that, but I can't diss my own school--even though I go to the island Texas A&M) :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Too funny! I'm glad they were able to enjoy the game.

Anonymous said...

hmmm - can't say I've ever been a sports fan. Okay - wrong. My freshman year in High School I was a huge football fan (Go Knights!). But that's the sum total of it - lucky for me, Husband can take it or leave it. Son could care less. Daughter, on the other hand, knowns names and stats...don't know where she came from!

Patty said...

I hope the Cougars have a winning season! That picture of your husband and Austin is cute. Go Cougars!!

TUTU Monkey said...

Is it that time of year again!!!! Wow time is wizzing by.....

Hope all is well. The Sunday concerts in the park are Memorial day- Labor day in Coronado on Sunday evening 5-8. Next summer we would love to have you join us if you are in the area...we will provide the dinner...:)

TUTU Monkey said...

Is it that time of year again!!!! Wow time is wizzing by.....

Hope all is well. The Sunday concerts in the park are Memorial day- Labor day in Coronado on Sunday evening 5-8. Next summer we would love to have you join us if you are in the area...we will provide the dinner...:)

Lynell said...

What fun! We were pretty excited at our house too. Isn't it fun that we can all enjoy the games together. What a great tradition. Love you

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Lura, the question I want to make you is about adoption. The other time you said you were adopted didn't?? Tell me is correct. Because how you now my twins are adopted, well with Gerardo Jrn any problem, we always said them about adoption etc.etc. but now MarĂ­a Esperanza is feeling worry about this. Im with her at Psicologist by other things but in the talk she mention this, what you think?? Is about age or other thing?? You always want to know about bilogical parents?? etc. we have the childs when they had 3 days! but always talk withthem about the adoption, but when they are teenager how now is different maybe.
Sorry by question this but I thinbk you are really nice with me and if you dont want talk about this only tell me. Huggs!!!! Gloria Nad thanks

Wendi said...

Too funny.
We have the same issues around here with College Hoops.
The problem is we all root for different teams.
It is much better when you are all cheering for the same one.
Much. better.
Hope he got his BYU fix.