Can you recognize this bride????
It's me..... John and I were married 43 years ago on July 9th in the Los Angelas Temple
I was 20 and he was 23 year old return missionary. We met at BYU in a religion class in September, 1964. We were engaged in March and married in July of 1965.
We haven't changed a bit have we!We decided to celebrate by going on a cruise. Three years ago we celebrated our 40th by cruising to Cancun and Belize. I could hardly wait to see what trip was in store for us this year.
When we got to San Diego I was excited to see the Monarch of the Seas waiting in the harbor. I love sailing with Royal Caribbean and I knew this ship was headed to Hawaii. I love the islands and I was so excited!
But...Oh NO!!! We got on the wrong ship.
Before we could get to the Monarch it started backing up.
It sailed off into the sunset.
We both love visiting Old Town San Diego. We wanted to visit the Mormon Battalion Memorial commemorating the longest march of US infantry in history, over 2000 miles, but it was closed for remodeling. We hurried on to book our cruise.
We stopped in the local saloon to ask directions and snap this self picture in the mirror.
We didn't have any gold.
Not a single nugget except the one on my locket John gave me when we went to Alaska. I didn't want to give that to the Purser.
I went off to shop for dry goods (fabric to make me a new dress for our cruise) in the general store as you see in the above picture.
John stayed to barter with the Purser.
John said that we would make it back to the ocean just in time for the last sailing. I could hardly wait.
This was not exactly the cruise ship I had in mind but John said it was the only one left available. Besides it was only $32 each and it was going to an island. I love islands.
It turned out that it took us to Shelter Island. Not exactly what I had in mind...
..... We were going to get off and stay awhile but the king of the island told us it was too crowded there and we would have to move on.

Since we were not welcome on Shelter Island we decided to spend the rest of the day visiting the ships in the Maritime Museum.
We started out going in a Russian Sub.
We looked through the periscope but we couldn't find the Monarch of the Seas to go aboard.
They had 3 bathrooms this size for 78 sailors.... and where is the shower???? Don't you know it smelled great on this crowded tub!!!
It was easier for John than for me but I made it.
We spent hours going through all the ships. One of them is going to be featured on the Discovery channel on July 14th at 8:00 on the Dirty Jobs show if you want to watch.
After a long day looking at all of the ships in the museum we were tired and ready to get back to our hotel. John had checked us in to the Sheraton Suites.
The rooms were nice and comfortable........
......but we found out that they charge $22 a night to park.....$25 a day to use the internet and they do not serve breakfast.
I couldn't blog.... (I wasn't willing to pay )
I couldn't check my messages...
We couldn't wake up to a yummy breakfast without paying a big price...
I couldn't check my messages...
We couldn't wake up to a yummy breakfast without paying a big price...
What's the deal???? We assumed they would have a good breakfast included....
All the other "suites" we've stayed in had good breakfasts.....Ayers Suites did.....Embassy Suites did......even the Travel Lodge did..... So what happened here??? We were too cheap to pay the high price for the hotel's breakfast. We were having nice lunches and dinners out and we didn't want to pay a lot for breakfast. So we set out on our own.
That was our mistake..... BIG MISTAKE..
We were hungry in down town San Diego. We couldn't find a House of Pancakes....Denny's.... or similar restaurant.......
...but we did find a Mc Donalds. We were in hurry to eat and be on our way to have fun so we stopped there...I waited in a long line to order our sausage McMuffins from a employee that barely spoke English. When I finally got our order back to the table and opened it up we had Big Macs instead of Mac Muffins.
We did not order Big Macs.....
We did not want Big Macs for breakfast.... or any time for that matter.
I took the order back.
I tried to explain the problem but the employee didn't understand English.... he didn't understand me...
Another employee came..... I could see I was getting nowhere.
John speaks Spanish..... John could help me out.....but Alas..... it was after 10:30 by then.....they were not serving breakfast anymore.
We ate our Big Macs and left.

Before we knew it our 3 days and 2 nights in San Diego were over and it was time to leave.
We had such a fun time together..... but we were ready to come home.
Before we knew it our 3 days and 2 nights in San Diego were over and it was time to leave.
We had such a fun time together..... but we were ready to come home.

Well here we are 43 years later. We are not as young or good looking as we were. We are not as healthy or energetic...... but we wouldn't go back for anything. This marriage road hasn't always been easy but it has been worth it. We love each other in spite of our faults and short comings. We smooth out the rough spots because we know that having a loving relationship is more important than getting our own way..... or being "right" about something. We married in a temple of our God for time and all eternity. We are an eternal family. What a blessing and comfort this is to me. It would not be heaven for me with out my John and our children. I am eternally grateful and thankful that we have each other.
I must finish this post and get ready for Holly and her family to visit us tomorrow. We are so excited they are coming from Texas. Mindy and Ernie are on a little trip and we have their 3 children for 3 days. I need to get to bed so we can get up early, tidy up all the toys, sweep out the fire pit and patios and get ready to greet our sweet blog friends. Good night bloggers.... Have a great day tomorrow.








24 comments:
Happy, happy anniversary!
you two are just the sweetest! i loved it!
Megan
that was the sweetest & funniest blog ever!! My husband & I are working on our 13th year--I hope we find oursevles at a similar place at our 43rd anniversary! :) Ya'll are too cute!
Happy 43rd! I thought 9 was a long time LOL! You guys are awesome, even if you don't look the same as you did in your wedding pics *smile*
My bro was born in San Diego, and the temple there is one of my faves, but I haven't been there for years. That would be great to visit, especially since my older brother's Navy ship is docked there, the USS Midway. Is that one you went on?
Have a great week, and in case you aren't getting alerts on your blog reader, I've posted 2 new posts.
Happy Anniversary!! Isn't it amazing how the years fly by. My husband Rick and I will be celebrating our 29th anniversary in October and it seems like it wasn't that long ago. I'm glad you posted your wedding picture. I's neat to see you guys back when it all began and what a beautiful family you have now! I hope you enjoy your visit with my Holly and her family today. Thanks for inviting them to visit you. I'm sure we will hear about it on both your blogs!!
What a funny story - and well told at that. Happy Anniversary!
Mom I love the fun pictures. Looks like you had a fabulous San Diego adventure. Thanks for setting such a great example and staying together through thick and thin. I am so lucky to have you two as parents. I love you and can't wait to see you next week.
Happy Anniversary you two!
What a great couple you are.
Nope, you haven't changed a bit!
Thanks for sharing your pictures and memories with us.
Sounds like you had a great trip to San Diego.
Especially at McDonalds. (LOL)
I hope that we will be as happy as the two of you on our 43rd anniversary.
Congratulations!!!
*Seriously?
A blog friend is coming to stay with you?
Way cool!
Please post about it later.
You are a beautiful bride, then and now. Despite the missed ship and the Big Mac fiasco, it looks like y'all had a wonderful time. Thanks for being an inspiration with your 43 years of marriage!
What a happy couple you seem to be! Happy anniversary and many many more. Enjoyed all the pictures!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !!sounds like your trip to san diego was fun..and believe it or not, mcdonalds is our favorite place to have breakfast. isn't it funny, whereever you go together is always the most fun !!!
again HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !!
We love you and grampy
Yay for love birds after 43 years. Your post, so creative and fun. Thank you for your good example to all of your blogger friends. I love how you are really making personal connections with those who are not even local. Thats just who you are!
I thank you for your sweet comments on my post. I wanted to tell you that you are a constant of testimony and spirit. I love when you share your thoughts and testimony of the Savior. You have always touched my spirit with your words,and your sincere interest in me and my family. It is wonderful to call you sister and friend!
Happy Anniversary. You are such a darling couple. Wow 43 years. I love seeing your wedding pictures.
Happy Anniversary!
Isn't that just like life.....doesn't always work out how you have planned, but still works out in the end.
Great post, and again Happy Anniversary. That was beautiful!
Lura, it sounds like the most wonderful anniversary celebration! You two were meant for each other. That is so evident in your words and pictures. A match "made in heaven!" I loved this entry and how very exciting that you are getting to meet Holly!!! I hope one day to read the words on here . . . "Tommorrow we will finally be meeting Marie and Todd!" Wouldn't that be wonderful!!! It is my dream to one day go to the Temple with you, be it here in the UK or somewhere over there. Nice thought eh?
The trip looks like so much fun. I thought it was quite comical how you two ate Bigmacs for breakfast. I love a good Bigmac, yummmmm. Happy Anniversary!!!
I love you mom and dad!
What a wonderful way to celebrate! Forty three years! Wow! We can't wait till we have been together that long!
You are really good at telling a story.:) It looks like you had a good time despite some set backs. And I love your wedding pictures! You are such a cute couple. Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!!
I LOVE your pictures!! Your wedding day photo is beautiful!!
If you make it this way again....give me a jingle I would love to meet you in person.
I am sorry I haven't followed up on my award...but I will....I think it is "tutu season" I have been swamped!!
:)
sorry i'm late to comment on this post but i wanted to wish you a happy anniversary! you are such a cute couple. 43 years is a huge accomplishment(especially these days). i loved seeing the pics of everything you and john did together for your getaway. looks like it was lots of fun! hope you are surviving the whitewater trip now:)
Happy belated Anniversay I dont see this post before Lura, but I have to say you are a beitiful and nice couple and wonderful people, beatiful pictures!!! xxxGloria
i just realized you guys' engagement/marriage timeline was the same as ours. we met at institute/religion class, were engaged in march and married in july too. different years though:)
Happy Anniversary, it's great that you could get away and celebrate. I love your story of your celebration. Awesome, here's to many more years together.
Post a Comment