Sunday, July 6, 2008

Our 4th of July weekend is over but what fun we had!







I love this country and the flag that represents it. We proudly post our colors at our front door and so do our children. I love driving along and seeing our flag flying. I can hardly get though 1 verse of God Bless America, You're a Grand Old Flag, or our Star Spangled Banner without getting choked up with tears of gratitude for our wonderful country.
It touches my heart as I drive around and see our Stars and Stripes dotting our country side.

Here is my 6 year old Claire Bear singing You're a Grand Old Flag for you. She is doing it without her music but I think you will enjoy it anyway.






E.J. who is 8 just started taking piano lessons. He did not want to be left out of this holiday blog.
Here he is playing Yankee Doodle Dandy for your listening enjoyment.



Our 4th of July weekend started out early at church where we attended an inspirational program and flag ceremony and then had a great pancake breakfast.

Later we all enjoyed a dip in the pool.... Mindy's kids even got Grampy to go in.... which is a rare event.





I won't spoil your day by showing the pictures of me and the kids in the pool (take my word... you wouldn't want to see that sight) but I think these are cute of Austin and Grampy..... Do you get a hint that Grampy doesn't like to be in the sun?




We had a b-b-q chicken lunch with corn on the cob and all the fixings.

Claire made and decorated this cute cake. To get the kids out of the pool we bribed them with dessert....... cake and 'smores'

Our pool and firepit are so happy when family or friends come to use them. ... So where are the rest of you??? .... Come on over!










Austin took his marshmallows roasting very seriously. His favorite treat of the day was definitely 'smores'








That evening we all went to an Angel's baseball game. E.J. was really excited since he had been a little league Angel this year. When we asked him if he thought he should go down and play with the team he answered "Yeah, probably". Luckily they won without him. We are very thankful to have Mindy and Ernie live close so we can often enjoy spending time with them .






We were excited to cheer for our Angels. (Please don't hold that against us Blue Jay fans.)

Baseball..... Hot Dogs ..... and Apple Pie.... what could be more American than that???
Wait a minute where is the apple pie????? ... Actually John brought in beautiful apples off of our trees but I didn't have time to get the pies made. .. too bad.







We all enjoyed the fireworks show at the end of the game.

Our favorite part of the fireworks was when they played Stars and Stripes Forever by John Philip Sousa. I put this video in so you can enjoy a little of it.

That ended our wonderful 4th of July. The only thing we lacked was our sweet out of state kids and their families. We surely miss them, but we are sure that they were having a great day of their own.

This is how the parking lot and streets looked as we were leaving Angel's stadium.
To kill time we tried to convince the tired kids that the sea of red tail lights of the other 44,000+ spectators leaving the stadium was a part of the show.....They were on to us .... it didn't work.

I hope that all of you had a wonderful and save 4th of July weekend.

This coming week John and I will be celebrating our 43rd anniversary so I won't be doing much blogging for a couple of days. ...... and..... my Wednesday Awards may not get posted until late Wednesday or early Thursday. Somehow, I don't think my sweet hubby would be too pleased if I spent our anniversary celebration at the computer blogging....do you? So, I'll be back soon. Take care.

21 comments:

Megan said...

what a wonderful post, and such a sweet family! loved it! it looks like you had a great weekend with the ones you love!

Megan

Wendi said...

Happy Fourth to you.
Thanks for sharing a little of your weekend and your talented grandchildren with us.
Looks like you guys had a great time at all your celebrations.
Have a great week and
Happy Anniversary!!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Aww...looks like so much fun. I wish we would have had some smores. Maybe next year!

Happy 4th.

The Bright Family said...

Hope you don't mind me peeeking in on your blog (I got here through Holly's)--looks like ya'll had a great 4th of July. I too get a little teary-eyed when I sing one of those songs too. :) My husband & I seem to be going down the same path as you guys--I'm working on getting my degree right now to teach elementary school & my husband has decided that his career isn't as rewarding as he would have hoped--so he is starting school in the Fall to get his masters and teaching certificate to be a high school teacher. :) I can't wait to be a teacher--not too much longer for me! :)

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Looks like you all had a fabulous 4th!

Tara D. said...

What beautiful and talented little grandchildren you have! Looks like you and your family know how to celebrate in style! :) Happy Anniversary, btw. Forty-three years, wow, that's something to be proud of.

Lynell said...

Wow! You know how to celebrate. I love all the pictures and video. It makes me feel like I were there.

Happy Anniversary. I love you!

hoLLy said...

your grandkids are ALL SO CUUUUTE! my kids enjoyed watching the video clips of claire and e.j. i'm glad you guys had such a wonderful july 4th-it looked perfect!

it looks like a go for monday, if you'll still have us! i'll email you soon! :)

Jenn Boerger said...

What a fun weekend! Happy Anniversary - I hope you enjoy your special day!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Claire was so cute patting herself on her heart and with her hands on her hips, and EJ is precious in his baseball uniform. Great family! blessings, marlene

Mandy said...

It looks like you had a wonderful and full holiday weekend! It's always good when you can spend it with family. Happy Anniversary!

Erin said...

What a fun day from start to finish! I think the 4th is one of my favorite holidays- sun, food, family, bbq's, and celebrating our country- it doesn't get much better than that!

cyndi/mom/nana said...

I loved your post on the holiday. I especially loved how you had your grandchildren perform for all of us. They are very talented I wanted to stand at atttention when Claire Bear was singing she has a beautiful voice but I'm sure you already knew that and E.J. wow, if I could only play the piano for now I'll enjoy watching others. Thanks for sharing your family and we miss California, we lived in Laguna Hills for a bit. Thanks for being so sweet to our family. love cyndi

Patty said...

Wow, what a great day you had! You have been blessed with beautiful, talented grandchildren. I have always felt very patriotic also. It took all I had on Sunday as we were singing God Bless America to hold back my tears of gratitude. It is nice to hear that you feel the same way. Have a Happy Anniversary. You deserve it!

TUTU Monkey said...

What a great post....and such a talented family!!

I am glad you had a wonderful weekend!! I am with you and seeing the flags flying....it is beautiful!!

Marie Rayner said...

What a wonderful Post Lura! You have such a beautiful family and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing them with us in this very special way! You bring joy to my heart! I hope that you guys are having a lovely anniversary together! All the best and may there be many many more, well, of course there will be! Eons of them!

hoLLy said...

happy anniversary!!!! hope you are having a great day!

Grandma B said...

hi grammy...i have taken my blog down for awhile..maybe soon i will put another one on...

The Dumpert Family said...

Wow! It looks like you guys had a really great day:) I can't believe how big the grand-kids are getting!

Just wanted to let you know that I too enjoyed our time together (wow! that was 2 years ago) I loved being with you and hearing the stories about my new extended family!:)

Thanks for the helping instructions. I'm still trying to work out how to add family and friends to the page. I love your page! Great stuff!

Love, Jenny

Angie said...

I am always amazed at your 4 July celebrations over there. I just can't imagine a whole huge country celebrating as you do. I wish I could say there was something to match it over here but I can't think of anything.
love, Angie, xx

Kristen said...

What a perfect weekend!

Seriously P E R F E C T!!

I wanted to be right there in that pool eating smores with you all!

Thanks for sharing, and your love of family shines through your posts! :)