Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Dear Erin



Dear Erin,

It was on this day years ago that they first put you in my arms and I gazed upon your beautiful face. They called you my miracle baby. After I lost our little Lyle and the doctor patched me back together they didn't know if I could carry another baby to term. Then you came. What a blessing.... really a miracle. You have continue to bless and enrich my life and the lives of others from that day until this.










You have always been tender hearted and loving.


As a young

child the veil between heaven and earth was thin for you. You seemed to remember your heavenly home and often talked about it.

When you prayed you really talked to your Heavenly Father. You taught me many things. One time when I was being impatient you put your little hands on your hips, shook your head and said "Oh, it makes Father so sad when mommies are cross with their little children." As I said.... you taught me lots.


You adored your grandmother as she did you. When she became too ill to live by herself you willingly shared your room with her until we could add a room on to our house for her.

...
As a teenager you continued to be tender hearted and always looked out for the underdog or less fortunate. You were a leader. Others looked up to you and followed your good example.
...

When you turned 21 you were called to serve on a sign language mission. You gave up one and a half years of your life to serve the Lord full time. You learned sign language quickly. You loved teaching the gospel to the deaf and they loved you. After your mission you graduated from BYU and became a sign language teacher. You have been very successful in teaching that beautiful language to hundreds of others.

...


Five years ago you heard that the deaf children in Ghana, Africa needed sign language teachers. You felt inspired to go there.... all by yourself.....I couldn't believe it when you told us your plan. You bought a ticket and traveled to Africa... all alone. You went to a deaf school and volunteered to teach the children in sign language. Many of the teachers in Ghana do not know how to sign. You lived in a hut without running water or electricity for the summer while you taught the children at the deaf school. After that summer you came home and founded Signs of Hope, International
http://www.signsofhopeinternational.org/
You have returned to Ghana 6 times, taking supplies and others with you to teach the children. You raised the money to build them a playground and get computers. You've set up classes to teach the teachers there to sign. You've found sponsors to help parents who could not afford to send their deaf child to school. You are trying to earn funds to build another dormitory so more deaf girls can attend school. You have others helping in your organization now but it all started because you had the faith and courage to listen to the promptings of your heart and do something about it.
...
Read more about her incredible story in her May 20th and May 24th blog posts. http://mcgibbon-family.blogspot.com/


Two years ago you found your Patrick and married in the temple. You two were meant for each other. Patrick's family is as happy to have you join them as we are to have Patrick. Even though your prayers to have children have not been answered yet you remain faithful and hopeful that they will. You two will make wonderful parents some day.

You were a beautiful bride but you were also kind and considerate. You appreciated and was happy with everything we did for your celebration




An example of your thoughtfulness was instead of picking your peers to be your bridesmaids you chose your 4 little nieces. They were thrilled to be your bridesmaids/flower girls.
...

You are a wonderful aunt to your 11 nephews and nieces.
...







You are fun and adventurous....






...From flying through the canopy in the jungles of Mexico to kayaking in Cabo you and Patrick have so much fun together







So dear daughter I am glad that we could join you to celebrate this day of your birth.
We traveled up from CA and so did Mindy and Ernie to join you today.

Happy Happy Birthday Erin (and belated happy birthday to Patrick)


Thank you for all the joy and pleasure you bring to us.


(Don't you love the way I wrapped your and Patrick's gift!)



We are so glad that we could be here at your birthday party with you, Patrick, Loni, Claire and Emma .

Most of all, dad and I are so thankful to have you for a daughter.

We love you more than words can tell. Happy Birthday
...

We are traveling to Wyoming for our yearly family reunion to camp on the Snake river near Jackson Hole with you and the family to run the rapids because you and Patrick insisted that dad and I aren't too old. (Wendi I'm sure you and Chase will want to join us. I know how much you both love camping.) I will be away from the computer for a few days. If I live through the rapids I will be back soon.

26 comments:

Sheryl said...

Wow - what a beautiful tribute to your beautiful daughter. She is absolutely amazing, and I am so happy that you were able to go and Celebrate with her and your family.

Riding the Rapids - You go girl! I guess adventure and fun is hereditary in the Staffanson family. When the parents enjoy life, the kids always do too. You and John have done a fabulous job raising your beautiful family, and now to have the joy to see that continue is truly wonderful!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Happy birthday, Erin! Wow, I'm so touched by the mission she is so involved with, and those were beautiful photos you shared!

I can't wait to hear about how the trip goes, and how fun it was to ride the rapids!

StitchinByTheLake said...

How beautiful Erin is - inside and out! Children are indeed a blessing from God - a gift to show us how much He loves us.

Be very careful on those rapids - that is scary stuff! Blessings, marlene

Patty said...

What a beautiful and talented daughter you have! Happy Birthday Erin!! Thanks for telling us a little about her life. She has accomplished so many things in such a short time. She is still so young, but is very ambitious and loving. You are such a wonderful mother! Thanks for letting us get to know her a little better. Good luck on the trip and remember to take lots of pictures for us!

Loni-Loo said...

erin is such a wondeful aunt i bet grammy is very proud and loves you with al her heart. i hope you to get be a mother soon and i can babysit him/her for you. keep your hopes up and work hard with africaa
love lonica

Tricia said...

HAPPY B-DAY ERIN! I love all that thick gorgeous auburn hair you had as a kid, and it's of course still so beautiful. You look exactly the same as your childhood photos, so sweet and innocent looking!

Dayne has a photo of you in your Cougars outfit, like the one posted, but you're sitting down. I think he had a secret crush on you or something! LOL

Hope your day was great! Are we the same age? I was 34 in May.

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Erin I whish you a happy belated birthday and a lovely time to live. You are one of my favorities when Lura speak about you, Im sure you will be Mom some day and you will love them a lot you are a nice and beatiful person!!! Im a Mom of two childs, twins and I adopted them years ago, they have now 14 years,is a long road Erin the childs grow up and not ever is easy but trust in God He will show you your road. With love, Gloriaxxxxx

-Melissa- said...

Thanks for leaving a sweet comment on my blog. I too also love meeting new blogging friends.

What a sweet post about your beautiful daughter. Happy Birthday Erin!

Have fun on your trip. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Happy Birthday, Erin!

What a great post!

hoLLy said...

we just got back into dallas and whats the first thing i did? get on the computer of course! i have really been suffering with blog withdrawal:)

happy birthday to your lovely daughter erin. she has done A TON of amazing things! you must be so so proud! hope you are having a good time on your trip right now! i'll miss yoU!

Wendi said...

What a beautiful tribute to your daughter.
I have been reading Erin's blog for a while now too.
She. is. amazing.
Happy Birthday Erin!!!

Camping and White Water Rafting?
um...no thanks!
Hope you have lots of fun!!!

Jenn Boerger said...

What a beautiful tribute to your precious daughter. May we all be inpsired by you to share our true feelings with our loved ones!

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday Erin!!

What a beautiful smile she has!!

Megan said...

what a beautiful family! loved all your thoughts about that little girl of yours!

Megan

Katie said...

Aww, this is so sweet it got me all teary and I don't even know you guys, haha! (Sign of a true blog-a-holic.) What a special post for an amazing person.

Grandma B said...

Happy Birthday Erin...hope your special day was the best.

kristen said...

What a beautiful post. It makes me want to cry not having a special daughter of my own.
love the Wedding photos, they're beautiful.

Happy Birthday!!

Matchbox Mom said...

Oh wow!! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! She sure had good parents growing up!
What a blessing you are!!

Tam

Marla said...

We looooovvvveeeee Erin! She is pretty darn special to us too.

I love that Emma's face is lit up like the sun in all those pictures - you can tell she was so happy to be with all of you!

Tara D. said...

That was lovely! She sounds like an amazing person for all that she has done for others. I'm not even half the woman she is...sheesh. But I know I'm commenting a little late, so Happy Belated Birthday to Erin! You're da bomb!!!

TUTU Monkey said...

Happy Birthday Erin!!! She is so beautiful and what a great family:) I don't know if you like ABBA ....but go see MAMMA MIA.....the daughter song will touch you.

THE RAPIDS......go for it!!!! Have a terrific time!! Talk to you when you get back...I will get my posting project done:)

TUTU Monkey said...

My MEME is done and up and posted .....whew...that one took me a while and it was really quite simple....:)

cyndi/mom/nana said...

Happy Belated Birthday Erin. I just wanted to say what a great tribute to your daughter Grammy. Erin thank you for sharing your self with others what you have done for the children in Ghana is amazing and I for one am grateful for spirits such as yours that kindles the true love of the Savior.

Marie Rayner said...

I am so late in this, but Belated Happy Birthday wishes to Erin! You have such a special and lovely family Lura! I just love reading about them!

Grammy Staffy said...

dang that was big, I didn't know that she helped raise money for a playground and also computers thats way cool. Just so you know grammy this is johnny again. k where was i oh ya, she went some sort of kiaking if thats how you spell it. thats amazing well bye love ya.

Erin said...

Thank you mom... I love you and have always been thankful for the love and support you have given to all of us kids! You and dad are our biggest cheerleaders!