Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Two sweethearts that will inspire you

Friday I told you about students who did things that I felt sad about. Today I want to tell you about two little gals that are absolute sweethearts. They are outstanding young people who warm my heart.


I am a member of the Women's Improvement Club in our city. We do all sorts of Community service but one of our favorite activities is raising money to give out in scholarships to each of our 7 high schools every year. This year we gave out a total of $9,000 . It was my honor and privilege to be on the scholarship interviewing committee. We rated the applicants on academic accomplishment, community service, extra curricular activities and financial need. We could only pick two applicants from each school. It was a very difficult decision. However, I want to tell you about two of the student's we selected as winners that really stand out. What an example they set for others.





This is Anjelica. I had Anjelica three years ago, during her sophomore year, in my Child Dev. class. She was an excellent student. Since that time, she has applied herself 100 percent to her studies. During the last two years she has taken college classes along with her high school classes. This week she not only graduates from high school but from our local Community College as well, with AA and AS degrees. Next year she will enter a university as a 3rd year student. What an accomplishment!







This is Esmeralda. Looking at her sweet smile and bubbly personality you would never guess the hardships that this little gal has had to overcome. I have never met anyone who has gone through so much and is still so optimistic.


Esmeralda was abused by her stepfather for years before she told her mother. When she did tell, her mother chose to stay with her husband so Esmeralda had to leave. She was sent back and forth to Mexico and has ended up in the foster care program. When she reported the former abuse, her step father was put in jail. Some of the family blame her for this which makes her very sad.


She turns 18 soon and will be out of the foster care system. She is not sure what she will do then. She just got a full time job at a local store. (She could not even get off to attend her graduation activities). She does not have a car and must take a bus to and from work which is difficult in our area since we do not have a good bus or rapid transit system.


When she told us her life story it brought tears to her eyes and ours, but she never lost her sweet smile. When she told me today about getting her new job, she was so excited even though she has to miss her graduation activities and has a hard time with transportation. She plans to attend Community College next year and then save money for the university. She wants to become a social worker to help other kids like her.


These girls are both great students and wonderful people. I am so proud of them. I wish them both success and the best in life. They bring a smile to my face and to my heart. Don't their stories inspire you? They do me.

14 comments:

Megan said...

what amazing girls, and what an amazing opportunity you have to help them in that way!

you know, i am always praying for godly older women to be placed in my life to give me valuable mentoring and wisdom. if you ever feel inclined, it would be wonderful if you could share your wisdom with us! there are a lot of young moms who would love to read it! maybe you could post a weekly, "what i wish i knew when i was a young mother/young woman" post?? :)

Megan

Lynell said...

I am so touched. I cried at your last post because I was sad. I am crying now because I am inspired. It makes me wonder why I ever complain. What great stories. Makes me want to stand a little taller. Thank you mom. That is so awesome that you are able to help the kids in your community. You are awesome!

hoLLy said...

those are two amazing, talented, strong and beautiful young ladies! they definitely deserved the scholarships. what an inspiration they are. reading esmerelda's story made me so sad, but the fact that she is overcoming so many setbacks in her life and making something of her self is amazing. what strength she must have. and look at her smile. its good she has found that smile despite the pain she has had to deal with. that girl could be on oprah! :)

Grandma B said...

I am so happy for you that these two beautiful young ladies can off-set the hurt of those other ones you wrote about Friday. The young girls are the ones that make things 'all better', aren't they.

Their stories are amazing. My heart goes out to Esmerelda, but she has taken the "lemons" handed to her by life, and turned them into "lemondade". She now has lots of inner strength that will help her throughout her entire life. These are the "life lessons" I keep mentioning. I have a very deep knowledge that God steps in many times in our lives to help and guide us...all you have to do is ask with humility.

The pictures of you radiate your kindness Lura. Thank you for posting them. LOL

Wendi said...

Two amazing stories.
Thank you for sharing.
I am grateful that I did not have to endure the hardships they have faced.
I am amazed at their determination to change their life course.
The world need more Anjelica's and Esmeralda's.

Kristen said...

So good to hear this post from you!

See what a difference you truly made!? These girls I am sure, needed you as a role model in their life. Look at all they have accomplished because they had a teacher who cared for them!

Thank you for spreading the inspiration today.

Baak Talk said...

Thank you so much for sharing their stories. What amazing women they will become and contribute so much to our society. It makes me count my blessings even more.
Truly inspiring!

I also think it's so great that you are part of that organization!

~Rebecca

Marie Rayner said...

What an inspiration these young women are. How blessed that you have been able to play a role in providing something positive in their lives. Your words today are the other side of the coin and they make it all worth while don't they. Thanks so much for sharing their stories with us. (((hugs)))

Sheryl said...

Absolutely inspiring. I love when someone rises above and goes beyond their given circumstances. Good for you to be a part of a group that gives back to those who will use the gift of scholarship and make a difference in this world.

Erin said...

What a great post!

You know, we really do have life pretty easy. Being a teacher has opened my eyes to lots of suffering. Sometimes when I have a student that is absent a lot I start thinking, "Why are they being slackers?" only to find out they have a painful medical condition, or a sibling is dying of cancer, or their parents are going through a terrible divorce, or, or ,or... I had lots of different situations. They are good strong kids and I wonder how I would handle their trials.

They are so strong!

Helen mdk said...

How nice =)
They are both so good :)
I am happy that those two people were nice to you and they weren't like the others that were so bad =)

The whole post generally was so sweet :)

TUTU Monkey said...

What amazing, determined girls!! Thank you for sharing their stories. Esmerelda seems like such a strong young woman that will be able to help so many other girls in her same situation.

I second Wendy's comment ...the world needs more Angelicas and Esmereldas.

Marie Rayner said...

Grammy, I have to teach a lesson in YW tommorrow on overcoming opposition. I was wondering if I might use these two fine examples of women who have been able to conquer obstacles as examples to my girls in the lesson??? (Please pretty please?)

Ris said...

wow! Anjelica is amazing! That is so impressive. I wish I'd know that was an option when I was in hs! She is obviously very smart and beautiful and no telling how far she will go in life!

I am so sad that Esmeralda's mother chose her husband over her daughter. As a mother, that just hurts my heart! I am so proud of her for reporting him anyway! Thank goodness he is in jail and can't hurt others. We have to family we are born into and the family we choose- I'll be praYing that someday she meets an amazing Godly man to spend her life with. She obviously is a very strong young lady and sounds like God will use her to encourage and help other children in those situations. Completely inspiring!