Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Rest of the Story (Accidentally deleted ,revised and rewritten) I hope you will visit me again.


I did SUCH A DUMB THING! I accidentally deleted this whole post after I spent over an hour writing it....URGG!!...That caused all of the comments you had already made to be erased....URGG AGAIN ....you know how every comment is sacred to us bloggers. Oh well, I really want to share these stories with you so I will start over. How sad huh??? Here I go.... I will try to remember it the best that I can.
....
I am not putting in the story about Shirley since I can not reach her to get permission. Instead, I will substitute another one of my stories for the one I wrote yesterday about her. These stories are very special to me. I hope they will touch your hearts as they have mine.

...
Before I start the stories, I want to say thank you so much to all of you who responded to my June 17th post about Lyle's death and Jamie's NILMDTS ministry. I am overwhelmed with your kindness. I am happy that I met so many new blog friends though your comments and I hope that you will continue to drop in and say "hi". As always, I appreciate all of your comments. I feel your love and support. How sweet and tender you are.

...
I want to tell you the rest of Lyle's story because even though this was a very sad time for me, it was also a time of testimony building and many blessings.
...
STORY ONE- THE POEM
(If you read this story in the old post I deleted scroll on down to story #2. It is a new one)
...
It was very difficult for me to get over Lyle's death. I had terrible dreams that I told you about in my last post. I wanted to be a good mother to Lynell (4)and Mindy(2) but I was both a physical and emotional mess. I was terribly weak and had a hard time healing and recovering from the trauma of his birth and the C-section I had to deliver him.
....
The hardest part for me was not knowing if his life counted for anything. Is a stillborn a real baby? At the hospital they didn't think so. Did God? Would he ever be mine? Would I have him again. My heart ached for answers that I didn't have.
....
One night I woke up, not from the reoccurring bad dreams but from a warm, happy, almost joyous feeling. I knew that Lyle was my eternal child and I would have him again one day. I felt it. I knew it. Some of you might think it was the wishes of a desperate mom, but it was not. It was an answer to my prayers. I knew it. I could not deny it.
....
I got up and wrote the poem that I posted on my last blog ( June 17th). I could not write the words fast enough. I did not give thought to the words or how to make them better. They just tumbled out of my mind and on to the paper. When it was done I was amazed. It captured my grief and anguish at his loss (I knew that God understood how I felt) but it was also filled with hope and promise. I will always believe that poem was a gift to me from God. As an interesting side note, I have not thought of Lyle's poem for years, but last Tuesday night when I wanted to type it out for you, I remembered every word easily. Again this confirms to me that Lyle's poem is a gift to me and I will never forget it.
....
I would like to rewrite Lyle's poem to make it appropriate for parents who have lost a baby girl. I want to send it to Christine who's beautiful Olive Lucy was still born last August. Christine made a beautiful comment on the post I accidentally deleted. I am so sad. (Christine if you read this post I would love to get the information you gave me again.) Stop by Christine's blog and sign a petition she is circulating for Bill#8960.
.
I hope that Jamie can use it also. If you haven't stopped by Jamie's blog I recommend that you do so you can learn about her NILMDTS ministry. Go to her "Lessons My Heart Has Learned" blog that she posted on June 17th for the heart touching story that got me started on this whole Lyle post.
...
STORY TWO-THE SURGEON
About six months after Lyle's death I was walking in the mall when I noticed that a lady was following me from place to place. It made me a little nervous and worried. I guess that she could see the concern on my face so she came up to me and asked if I would mind talking about the night my baby died. I did not recognise this lady and had no idea how she knew about Lyle. She told me that she would never forget me and then told me the following story.
...
She was a scrub nurse during my C-section when I delivered Lyle. I guess that all of the surgical team knew that Lyle was dead but I did not. When he was delivered I didn't hear him cry and everyone was quiet and sad. It shocked me when they told me he was dead and asked if I wanted them to dispose of his body. I got very upset at the idea of them throwing my baby in to the trash so they knocked me out. This is where my nurse's story begins
...
All of the surgical team was ready to do a hysterectomy to stop the massive bleeding and save my life. (I remember seeing my surgeon covered in my blood. My nurse said that the blood started spurting out as soon as the surgeon made the first incision) She handed my doctor the knife and he started to cut and then stopped. They were all confused since time was of the essence to stop the bleeding. My surgeon said that something stopped his hand from making the cut. He said that he did not know if he could patch me up enough that I could every carry another child but he had to try. The whole surgical team was amazed at the time and effort he took and skill involved in sewing up my torn uterus and stopping the bleeding. When he was finished, the doctor said that he felt that God was guiding his hands.
....
When my nurse told me this story I started to bawl right in the middle of the mall. At first she felt badly but I told her they were tears of joy. What a wonderful story. It bore witness to me that my Heavenly Father really was with me on that difficult night. It also gave me the courage to get pregnant again. I had Erin two years after I lost Lyle and David three years after Erin was born. They were my miracle babies. I know that they were meant to be in our family just like Lynell and Mindy. God knew it and he helped the doctor to save my uterus. That same doctor delivered both Erin and David. He said it was a testimony to him that God is aware of us and does direct our lives.
....
I have taken the time to write this post twice (I still can't believe I deleted it) because I wanted to bare witness to you that I know our Heavenly Father knows us, loves us and is there for us even in our most difficult time. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, understands how we feel because he has taken all of our pains and sorrows upon Himself. If we will turn to Him, He will gladly carry our burdens for us.
...
Thank you for reading this long post..... at least I hope some of you are reading it. I would love to hear from you. Again I am so sorry that I deleted the comments some of you had already made! I hope that you will forgive me and write to me again. This was written (and rewritten) for you with love. Grammy Lura

19 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Lura you always touch my heart in amazing ways. I love reading your testimony. As I child I always knew there was a God in heaven, but I didn't think He had time enough to really care for me. I didn't have a truly unhappy childhood, but I didn't have a great one either. My parents were not very happily married and so in their struggle to try to hold together what was a lousy marriage, we kids felt a bit left out and unloved. Happily that problem has resolved itself. Anyways, I am so sorry that you lost Lyle for you sound like the type of parents and the type of mother every child deserves to have. (((hugs))) Thank God for the gospel which heals broken hearts and for a Father who cares. It may have taken me almost a lifetime to realize this but it is a lesson I will never forget. :-)

Olive Lucy said...

grammy lura-

i am going to try and remember everything i wrote...

it is not to late for you to get a Certificate of birth resulting in stillbirth for Lyle. CA is one of the states that offers CBRS "Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth", so if lyle was born there or in any of the other 23 states that offer this form you should be able to receive on for him retroactively. this is the link to the state chart that list each and every state that has a bill pending, or offers a COS (certificate of stillbirth.) the chart also has links to the contacts for each state which will have info for how you can obtain a CBRS in your state if it is offer... or you can email me girlyclown@ yahoo.com and i will get you the folks emails.
http://www.missingangelsbill.org/stchart.html

on a side note. maybe there are other LDS girls that read you blog that may one day endure this sorrow, remember this little tidbit. You ward leaders may be contact and you can ask them help you give you child a name and a blessing. it is well within you rights as a parent and i can not imagine a church member not understanding you desire to want you child named and recognized.

how do i know... We found out the morning we were delivering that Lucy died, we live very far away from my family who is LDS and i am very inactive any way my mom was on a plane in route so we called my dada and asked him to get in touch with the bishop and ask him to send over some elders quorum members to give the baby an name and blessing once she was born. WIll out fail they came.

were it not for these men that did not know me, they did not know my parents all they knew was that i was a girl who was a ward member and my child had died. were it not for them their faith and heir beliefs that our little girl counted we would have nothing of record with her name and our on it.

there is one other group i feel is should mention --remarkably also an LDS family that started the project. bhttp://www.babyangelpics.com/

the group will retouch 2 pictures of you baby free of chargge if you have them... Lura i know you do not, but i thought you might appreciate that there re others out there that do good works on the behalf of babies that have died before they were born.

peace, light and love always.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

That song I mentioned is "Smallest Wingless" by Craig Cardiff. Let me know if you love it as much as I do. By the way, you can send me an email any time; it's listed on my profile and on my blog. :-)

Tara D. said...

Thanks again for sharing your beautiful story and testimony with us. Lots of love,
Tara

Heather said...

Your posts have come at a very interesting time for me. I have been thinking alot about Mason lately, he would be 12 this july recieving the priesthood and growing into a man.

Just this weekend I was talking to a close friend who has just suffered a 2nd miscarriage in a year with no other children. She expressed that she was so glad she was able to talk with me because I could really understand her loss. She has been told by so many well meaning friends, family, and medical personel that she can try again but that does not help, it really makes her angry...she had hopes and dreams for each of her babies and those dreams are not easily replaced. I told her how sorry I was for her loss and tried to explain that they did not mean to hurt her they just did not understand. I still remember very vividly the delivery nurse telling Steve and I not five minutes after Mason had been born dead that things looked good for me and we could try again in a few months. Really? Do people really say things like this? Sadly they do.

I told my dear friend that some good will eventually come out of this experience. Someday she will know what to say to someone who has suffered a loss and they will lean on her for support.

I had not even read your posts about Lyle till today,but I shared with my friend about Mason's funeral and how you and Sister McNulty had come and given me beautiful letters that supported and gave me hope. I still have your letter and poem in my cedar chest at the foot of my bed. Your letter is stained with countless tears from me reading it over and over that first year. It brought me through some very dark hours. Thank you again!

Sheryl said...

You touch the deepest heart in us all with your experiences and insight. I am amazed at what you have so willingly and lovingly shared that others may be blessed. Thank you.

Didn't make it to church today because I was at Urgent Care with Skyler who had Pink Eye in both eyes, and we needed some medicine. It was a long night for him.

cyndi/mom/nana said...

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your story. You are an inspiration to many. I love both of the songs you have in the background. I have had so many emotions since Lucy has passed that some days I just don't know how best to help ease the pain. Olive Lucy and Lyle must be great friends right about now. I think what will be most awesome is you will get to know them both some day learn of their little personalities and feel their love ever so dearly. Thank you for being a strong mom and standing for truth and righteousness especially at the time when you delivered your son and they wanted to dispose of him, thank you for making others realize these are children of a Heavenly Father and He would never treat life this way. The Savior is pictured many times with little children, I'm thinking this is why he chose Lucy and Lyle how could He let them go to an imperfect world when they were so perfect already. I look forward to the day that I see Lucy again and just kiss her sweet cheeks. Take care of yourself and here's hoping life is treating you kindly these days. love cyndi

Helen mdk said...

Hello Grammy, good morning =)
I just passed by to tell you my news but then I thought to make a post about it!
This was such a nice story =) I didn't read the others but from this one I understood how important are some things for everyone to have and how God always stands by us =)

Have a nice day =)

Wendi said...

I can't remember if I commented or not.
I know I read all your posts.
Just slowly making my "comments" rounds.

Thanks again for sharing such a personal stories.
I have felt your love for Lyle and I have felt your heartache.
I am sorry you had to go through this.
Thank goodness we are never alone.
At the times we are hurting the most we have a loving Father in Heaven whom we can turn to.
I am glad for this knowledge and am so glad you know it too.
I know you are also comforted because you know you will have Lyle with you again one day. Families really are Forever.
I am sure your stories and poem will touch many who have experienced this same sorrow.
You, my dear Grammy, are the angel!

Erin said...

I love you mom. I love your testimony and your faith. I think (like Heather mentioned)when we experience certain heartaches we become an angel to those who may experience the same thing. Who better to understand than someone who lived through it?

Megan said...

of course this story made me cry! how wonderful though, to be given the gift of knowing all that happened, to give you hope through a very painful time...

Megan

kristen said...

Such a powerful story. More people need to red this.

Marla said...

I'm so glad you are writing this down, although I know it must be so painful to drag it all back up. I feel like your experience, however hard, will be valued to many when you share it. I don't think I can ever comprehend what you went through so many years ago. We love you.

Silvija said...

Dear friend,
Your story is amazing! Even though we were good friends then, I don't think I knew all of these things. I remember your poem, and I remember your pain, but mostly, I remember how strong you were and what an inspiration you have always been to me. Love you,
Sil

Anonymous said...

I am so awestruck when God blesses us in these ways. How amazing to have that nurse recognize you and follow you and bless you with the details you would never have known! And the doctor's part. Oh my! I love the complexity of our God! There's no one who could write the most exciting novel that could compare to one second of God being His most mundane. Unbelievable story--and yet, so typical of our glorious Father. Thank you for sharing!

Jenn Boerger said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! So glad you found me, and now I found you. =) What a beatiful post about your dear son. And an honor for you to share your life's story with not only your family but your blog friends, too! I'll be checking back in on you...

hoLLy said...

hi grammy lura! i'm back to my blogging and commenting-yea! i missed the blogworld:) your story about lyle is just so heartwrenching. i admire your strength in sharing it as i know it will help many others who read it who have had similar experiences. i can't imagine what a dark and difficult time that must've been. i'm so glad you made it through. and what an amazing story about the doctor. i'm so glad the Lord blessed you to be at the mall the same time as that nurse. what an amazing experience to be told all of that about your hospital experience. i have had 2 miscarriages(one in between each child) and it was a horrible feeling. so, i can't even BEGIN to imagine what it must be to deliver stillborn. i am in no way trying to compare the two, i am just saying that i felt an extreme loss with a miscarriage so i can't even begin to imagine what you felt. when i try to imagine it, i can only cry. losing a special little spirit that you loved so dearly before you even got to truly meet him/her is hard. thanks again for sharing your beautiful testimony and inspiring story. you are an angel!

Melisa said...

Thank you for your beautiful thoughts and testimony, I am a friend of Lynells and I love to read your uplifting words. I know now where Lynell gets her amazing spirit. I too have seen our Heavenly Fathers hand in my life many times, but sometimes its nice to be reminded that he is always there.

Baak Talk said...

Lura, thank you for sharing such a personal, faith promoting experience! What a miracle that doctor was truly guided by the Lord. Imagine, if he hadn't intervened we wouldn't have sweet Erin & David! What a tender Father we have to send such sweet feelings of comfort. How could we cope without them?
Blessings, we don't realize how many come into our lives.

I know that when we pass into the next life and our lives flash before our eyes we will be AMAZED by all of the blessings we received, many we didn't even realize until the end.

Much Love!
~Rebecca