Thursday, May 29, 2008

Carrot Cake and Rhubarb Pie for Grampy's Birthday

Happy Birthday Grampy

For the first time since Lynell and Erin moved away from home we got to spend John's birthday with them last week. Before we retired we were both teaching and so were our girls so we couldn't get together in May. This year we were in Utah in May and his Utah kids made his day special.


Grampy was greeted with a Happy Birthday sign and streamers adorned the room.



John has two favorite desserts. One is home made (from scratch not a mix) carrot cake. Erin made him a yummy one Sat. night so it would be cold and ready to frost with her delicious cream cheese frosting the next day.


Erin got lots of good help frosting the 3 layer cake.
John's second favorite dessert is rhubarb pie. In spite of getting a delicious recipe from our blog friend, Chef Marie, we had just about given up on being able to make one. We went to every store around but none of them had rhubarb for sale. However, we should have asked Lynell first. Little did we realize that Lynell and Dathan had rhubarb growing in their garden. Dathan was able to harvest just enough for Lynell to make Grampy a pie.








It may not look just like Marie's but it surely did taste good.







Since Dathan got gypped on his birthday because we were at Lonica's dance competition all that day, we made him help blow out the candles.








Of course we had more than carrot cake and rhubarb pie to eat. We also chowed down on Patricks best tri-tip and sausages and all the trimmings for a great dinner.

Thanks kids for all you did to make Grampy's day special. We surely do love and appreciate each one of you. We had a great time in Utah. We miss you already.

14 comments:

Erin said...

It was such a fun time! I'm so glad you guys got to come up for a fun visit! We always love to have you and hate to see you go!

Now it's our turn to plan a trip down there!

Love you guys!

hoLLy said...

i've never had rhubarb pie(or rhubarb for that matter). i am so out of the loop! :) it sounds delicious! looks like grampy had a great birthday, especially since he got to spend it with your children and grandchildren. how fun!!

p.s. we are visiting southern california july 14-20(disneyland for 3 days and then spending time with family & celebrating a birthday for the next 3 days. we are attending a luau in dana point for my nephew and currently checking out hotels in that area. anyways, we might just have to meet each other! :) that would be cool! what city do you live in? oh wait, you may not want to write that in a blog comment. email me(if you want:)! h_duenas@hotmail.com

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, it does look as if you had a wonderful day, and I'm so glad that you liked the pie! It's one of my long time favourites. It really does my heart good when someone likes my recipes and they work well for them!

Wendi said...

Happy Birthday Grampy!!!

My favorite cake is carrot too!
(and it goes without saying that it must be made from scratch!)
Glad to hear you had such a great trip!

Baak Talk said...

Happy Birthday John!

I hope every day is as happy as the ones I have had hanging out at your house with your lovely daughter! What a blessing it was in my life!

Take Care~

~Rebecca (Davis) Baak

Sheryl said...

What a great day! There is nothing like celebrating special occasions with the ones you love. Your family is so great! Happy belated birthday to John! Erin looks so beautiful and so happy. I remember when we first moved to Norco, and she was one of the few that would take on babysitting for my crew! I so appreciate your goodness, and how your family continues that legacy!

Grandma B said...

There's two things in life that make it all better:
CARROT CAKE AND MORE CARROT CAKE...
The rhubard pie sounds yummy also.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAMPY !!! and many more....

My goodness, May certainly is a month for celebrating...about a 10 pound month for us...how about you!

Lots going on for us the first couple weeks of June...graduations, helping our grandson (Irag vet) move into their home, and we are planning a trip to Montana (where Mom, Dad and my brother Tom are buried). It's been a couple of years since I have been up, so this year is it, even with the price of gas. Do you get good gas-mileage with your car?


Thanks for the wonderful pictures of your family. HAPPINESS IS.....

Grandma B said...

I think the gas prices we are seeing right now are just the tip-of-the-iceburg. It is really scarey, but what do you do. We do have the Front Runner, but still have to drive to Ogden to pick it up. Needless to say, our trips will be consolidated, and few and far between. We are thankful for the point we are in our lives. I have always been an optimist, but sometimes it's hard to do lately. Just hope and pray things straighten out for the younger ones coming up.

Today is a beautiful day...we are doing yard work for ANOTHER party tomorrow. Never ending, it seems. Our flowers are really pretty. They are enjoying the bit of cool weather we are having right now, and also the rain. LOL

Grandma B said...

I think the gas prices we are seeing right now are just the tip-of-the-iceburg. It is really scarey, but what do you do. We do have the Front Runner, but still have to drive to Ogden to pick it up. Needless to say, our trips will be consolidated, and few and far between. We are thankful for the point we are in our lives. I have always been an optimist, but sometimes it's hard to do lately. Just hope and pray things straighten out for the younger ones coming up.

Today is a beautiful day...we are doing yard work for ANOTHER party tomorrow. Never ending, it seems. Our flowers are really pretty. They are enjoying the bit of cool weather we are having right now, and also the rain. LOL

Marie Rayner said...

HI there, I was wanting to e-mail you and give you some tasty recipes to feed the missionaries with, but have no e-mail address to send them to. Maybe next time! OH, and I was so excited to hear that you work with the YW as well! I am a councillor in our YW's dept here in our Ward. One of my favourite callings thus far! Happy Sabbath and enjoy the missionaries! Makes me chuckle...first time I told a friend we were having the missionaries for dinner her husband remarked that he hoped they would be tasty! Visions of a huge black pot and an open fire come to mind! tee hee!

Marie Rayner said...

PS. I do take all the photos on my page. Another one of my loves is taking pictures. A good camera helps!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday!

That cake looks soooo good! How fun to be able to spend your birthday with so many family members!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I think you need to post Erin's carrot cake recipe and cream cheese frosting. I could use a bite of it myself!

Lynell said...

We had so much fun. I hate it when you have to leave. Well the packing has begun. Yuck! It is a huge job. But, I have started getting excited about the change. I actually feel really good about it. Love you!