Sunday, June 1, 2014

Happy Birthday Smiles for Grampy John

1a grammy smiles

Well here I am again. I appreciate those who have encouraged me to keep blogging.  Thank you. I’ll keep going for a while if I can think of anything to blog about.

My sweetheart celebrated his birthday this past week. I’ll tell you about the fun things we did.  I love birthday celebrations…. actually I love all celebrations… but birthdays are special…. especially when you get to be our age.

IMG_2918IMG_2920

His birthday started out with bacon wrapped cinnamon rolls before we hurried off to church. I got the idea for these treats from Facebook. They turned out nice.

IMG_2921IMG_2924

After church we went to Pomona College where EJ was preforming in the Claremont Young Musician’s concert.

IMG_2929

EJ was featured as one on the 3 soloists in the difficult Bugler’s Holiday piece. In spite of getting new braces on, EJ did a great job. We were very proud of him and the other 2 trumpeters. Grampy was a trumpet player in school so this was an extra special treat for him.

IMG_2930IMG_2933

We ate  at the reception buffet after the concert. Mindy and I got off easy for Grampy’s birthday dinner. We only had to take one dish to share.

IMG_2934

Grampy was so happy to get to go to EJ’s concert on his birthday.

IMG_2935IMG_2936

After the concert and buffet we headed back to Mindy’s for cake and ice cream. Grampy is 72 but I got mixed up and put 73 on his cake….. uppps…. maybe I should just save this picture until next year???? Don’t tell anyone I did such a dumb thing.

IMG_2938IMG_2940

Grampy insisted he needed help blowing out the candles and the family was glad to comply.

IMG_2941IMG_2915

Then he opened his gifts…. but we got his (our) nicest gift … a car….earlier in the week.

carIMG_5324

We finally replaced the Prius we lost in our awful car accident  3 years ago.

IMG_2916

I wanted another hybrid but John wanted a bigger car so we settled on a Ford Fusion Hybrid. We love it.  It is a bigger car but still gets good gas mileage.  It has all the bells and whistles and nice features in it. We think it is beautiful and we are both happy to be a two car family again. We surely hope it lasts longer than our pretty little Prius did. (Notice that we got a white car again. That is in honor of our white Prius that saved our lives…. and because I like white cars…. John let me pick the color.)

IMG_2942

You might think that is enough celebrating for one birthday… but there was more to come. I’ll tell you about that on my next post.

Grampy enjoyed his birthday and felt loved. All of our Utah kids Skyped with us to wish him well. One of my good friends lost her husband recently. It makes us realize how fragile life is and how blessed we are to have this time together.  We are so thankful for each birthday…. each day we have. I hope we have many more years together.

I hope you had a good week too. Enjoy the blessings of each day.

Hugs, Grammy Lura

5 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

What a lovely Birthday John had! I don't think there is any better way to celebrate a birthday other than in the bosom of loved ones and family! Happy Birthday John! I am glad you decided to keep on blogging. I would miss you so much if you quit. Love you with all my heart! xxoo

Birgit said...

Well Happy Birthday to a fellow Gemini! My birthday is today(June 2nd) and I am now the big 50! You are right that family is so important. Love makes one healthy. My hubby went all out and gave me a big birthday bash on Saturday. I am truly blessed. Glad that you replaced the car and that you could Skype with family. Love the one picture of the grandson walking with his grandpa

betty said...

Happy belated birthday to your husband, Lura! He certainly looked like he had a nice day! That is a nice looking car! You are so true about the fragility of life and how short it can be, no matter how many years we live. I too hope you have many more wonderful years together.

betty

Paula said...

Life is very fragile and you should enjoy every moment of the day. I love that picture of your husband and grandson walking away from the camera!!

Buttercup said...

Happy birthday wishes to John. What a lovely day of celebration. I'm with Marie. Thanks for the gift of your blog posts and your friendship. Hugs to you, sweet friend.