We just got back from taking a short cruise to Catalina Island and Ensenada, Mexico.
We left on Monday, the day after Grampy’s birthday and we came home on the following Fri.
It was a double celebration cruise….. We were celebrating Grampy’s birthday and
me having my last (I hope) surgery procedure done. On May 14th they removed the stint they put in me last Feb. to stop the bile leak I got after having gall bladder surgery. It went from my liver to my intestine and had to be removed. I was dreading getting that done. John thought that booking a cruise would give me something to look forward to. He was right… it did!
John knew I wasn’t physically up to flying anywhere so we just drove an hour to the pier to take a local cruise. Our Ship was docked right next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach. We’ve cruised to Mexico several times, but it is still fun and an easy get-away.
We boarded about noon on Memorial Day. The ship had a big flag flying
and a Memorial Day tribute that evening.
That first day we found our cabin, unpacked, rested, explored the ship and…
….Hit the buffet line of course.
Tuesday morning we boarded a tender boat,
left our ship and
taxied over to Catalina Island, CA
We took a Catalina Adventure Tour. It wasn’t much of an adventure….
…But it was a nice tour of the island with some pretty, scenic
views of the city and the bay. Can you see our ship in the harbor?
Our tour let us off at the iconic Casino Landmark. It is a museum now.
We learned some interesting facts in the museum… like…
The gum millionaire, Mr. Wrigley, bought Catalina Island as a place for his Chicago Cubs to do their spring training…. and….it was where the young Norma Jean (Marilyn Monroe), who lived there when her military husband was stationed on Catalina, realized that men considered her to be really sexy from the reactions the soldiers had towards her.
After spending a fun day on the island,
we taxied back to our ship. We took it slow and easy all day but we were still tired and happy to get back to the ship where we continued our cruise.
I’ll share the rest of our cruise story in my next post.
I hope that you are having a good time cruising through your week too.
Hugs, Grammy Lura







6 comments:
Good for you! You deserve a nice trip with your husband after everything. I didn't realize Marilyn was actually on Catalina Island. If she didn't realize she was sexy then I have no idea how to spell my name-lol The food looks delicious
I enjoyed this first part of your cruise. I've been to Catalina a few times, but I didn't realize they had made the casino into a museum; I didn't think it was anything the last time we were there (probably at least 18 years ago). We'll have to go back because I would enjoy going through it. We spent our honeymoon on the Queen Mary almost 34 years ago :)
Who can resist the food on a cruise!! Seemed like a great getaway for you both!
betty
The best part of a cruise is all that wonderful food. Especially the fruit. Looks like you had a wonderful time
How lovely, a short break to relax and enjoy after all your stress.
How awesome! I wish we lived close enough to a port to do something like that. :) blessings, marlene
I hope to be able to go on a cruise one day Lura! You always make it look like so much fun! I get sea sick, but somehow I think I might be okay on a cruise. Perhaps one day. That is my dream and we all know dreams can come true! Love you so much my dear friend. You are very special to me. So glad you are feeling so much better. Our prayers have been answered. xxoo
Post a Comment