Sunday, June 8, 2014

Cruising with my hubby smiles…. part 2…. Ensenada, Mexico

1a grammy smiles
Last week I shared the first part of our cruise with you and told you about our stop at Catalina Island, CA. We love cruising for an economical get away. It is even more fun when cruise with friends. If you want to join us next time or plan your own cruise leave a comment or email me at
Jandltravel@charter.net
Here are the smiles I got from the next part of our cruise.
IMG_2971IMG_3004
After spending a lovely May day on the Island we taxied back to our ship and set off for Ensenada, Mexico.
IMG_3044IMG_1956
We arrived in Mexico early Wednesday morning.
IMG_1910
Even though we’ve done it before, we took the city tour and the trip to see the blow hole call La  Bufadora.
IMG_1958IMG_3023
Our first stop was at the Central Social and Cultural Center called Riviera de Ensenada.
IMG_3024IMG_3025
It is a beautiful structure built by the Hearst Family as a resort and casino years ago.
IMG_1942IMG_3017
From the tile floors to the wood patterned ceilings, the art work is beautiful.
IMG_1949IMG_1951
Every where we looked we were amazed by the lovely wood carvings and art.
IMG_3019IMG_3021
We had an excellent guide who did a great job telling us about the history and interesting facts.
IMG_3027IMG_1932
We drove for about 45 minutes on our bus through Ensenada and along the coastline.   Can you see the circles in the water? They don’t show up very well but they are tuna farms. Fishing is a big industry for Ensenada.
IMG_3030IMG_1931
Then we arrived at the blow hole… La Bufadora. There are only 3 of these blowholes in the world. The other two are in Australia and Hawaii.
IMG_1923IMG_1927
She put on quite a spectacular show for us because it was high tide…
IMG_3033IMG_3037
… but she didn’t want to show off for us when we were in the picture. (We took about 20 pictures but could never time it just right when we were in the picture.)
IMG_1913IMG_1916
We enjoyed the pretty scenery for a while….
IMG_3041IMG_3040
… and then we walked back to our bus through the large flea market you can see at the top of these stairs. I shopped for a while. In years past, I’ve bought some nice jewelry there. They specialize in silver and gem stone pieces. You can get some good deals but you can also get fake stones. It is best to only shop at the stores recommended by the cruise lines. This year, fine jewelry wasn’t on my list… (too bad)
2014-06-08 22.32.13
but I did get these two cute bags that I am enjoying using.
IMG_3045
After our 4 1/2 hours of touring Ensenada we were exhausted and returned to our Ship. There is another flea market right by the ship….with lots of shops…. but I was too tired to do any more shopping. ( John was glad. See how he hurried to get back on the ship before I could change my mind.)
IMG_3000
We enjoyed our 2nd port day in Ensenada…. We like going there. If you are looking for a inexpensive, short, get-away cruise… this is a good one to take. Last Oct. I took it on a Princess ship with my friend Jan. This time John and I went on a Carnival ship. Both were nice experiences and a great value for our vacation dollars.
That evening we sailed away from Mexico and headed back to Long Beach. … but we still had another sea day day to enjoy our vacation on the ship.
Next post I will share our ship smiles with you.
Until then I hope that your week is “ship shape”.
Hugs, Grammy Lura

8 comments:

Sally said...

Wow your ship is huge! Lovely photos, probably just what you both needed to relax and enjoy each other's company.

LeAnn said...

I love it when you share your trips. I almost feel like I am on one. Remember, we haven't been big travelers but maybe when my hubby retires.
I mostly am so happy you are feeling better and that you enjoyed your cruise.
Love and hugs and blessings for you!

betty said...

Looks like a great place in Ensenada. I've never been though I'm close to it. I think I would enjoy seeing that blowhole!

betty

Birgit said...

You got some great pictures and love the blowhole. That would be neat to see. Love the very colourful purse as the colours are right up my alley. So glad you had a great time

Bonnie Gwyn said...

I so loved reading this!! Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by my blog. :) I've been busy, so it's great to catch up. You asked about putting my blogs into my journal. :) A couple years ago, I started journaling on the computer, putting each day into a separate Word document. It's wonderful, because I can simply search my files when I need to remember something. :) I copy blogs right in and I know they're safe.
Excited to hear more about your travels! :)

bettyj said...

What a wonderful trip! You take so many good ones. Have a wonderful weekend.

bettyj said...

What a wonderful trip! You take so many good ones. Have a wonderful weekend.

Marie Rayner said...

Looks like you had a lovely time Lura! I, too, like it when you share your trips with us. You are such a great tour guide!! Very happy that you are up to cruising again! That makes ME smile! xxoo