Monday, June 16, 2014

Father’s Day smiles and family pics

1a grammy smiles

I will take a break from my cruising smiles to post some Father’s Day smiles that we made yesterday.

fathers day

My father deserted  our family when I was 7  and both of my grandfathers died before I was born so I never really had a relationship with a father or grandfather growing up.  I missed having a dad and a granddad. That is one reason that I am so thrilled that my children and grands have great dads and at least one grandfather in their lives. The following men in our family make my heart smile.

Fathers day

John is the patriarch of our family.  He is the father of our 3 daughters, Lynell, Mindy and Erin and our son, David.

10170956_10152119935704296_4829720753246338623_n

Dathan is married to our oldest daughter, Lynell. He is the father of Jordan, Justin, Jalen, Johnny and Loni.

2014-04-20 14.45.10

Ernie is married to our 2nd daughter, Mindy. He is the father of EJ, Claire and Austin.

photo-5

Patrick is married to our youngest daughter, Erin. He is the father of Calan and Ellie.

10453381_10152465562019400_5858910182390979837_n

Our son David is married to Marla. He is the father of Emma, Grace, Davey and Evan.

Each of these men are good husbands and fathers. They all love the Lord and seek His guidance in raising their families. I am thankful for each one of them and love them all dearly.

IMG_3092

Grampy John’s father’s day started out with a big breakfast in the patio. We were attending church with our daughter, Mindy, which meets 2 hours later than ours so I had plenty of time to fix John all of his favorite breakfast dishes.

fathers day 2IMG_3094

After attending church, we spent the rest of the day at Mindy’s.

IMG_3100

Mindy is our only child that lives in CA. We are thankful to have her family live close to us.

IMG_3101IMG_3103

Little Austin started out the day sick & throwing up but thankfully perked up as the day progressed.

IMG_3102IMG_3108

Mindy always makes a traditional Japanese dinner every year for Father’s Day.

IMG_3107IMG_3111

She took a sushi making class years ago and has become quite the sushi chef.

IMG_3104IMG_3105

EJ put together the salad…

IMG_3113

while Claire made the Miso soup and Mindy fried the tempura shrimp and veggies.

IMG_3115IMG_3118

All the boys gave each dish a big thumbs up….

IMG_3117

… and so did we girls.

IMG_3114IMG_3128

Pictures were taken and rhubarb pie was eaten for dessert. (Rhubarb pie may not be in keeping with the Japanese theme…. but it is Grampy’s favorite pie.)

IMG_3119IMG_3120

My heart smiled ….

IMG_3126IMG_3127

…as I watched these children have fun with their dad…

IMG_3122IMG_3124

and their Grampy.

IMG_3123IMG_3129

Yoda and I both had big smiles on our faces at the end of the  day. Each of our out-of-state kids called John to wish him well and express their love for him.

It was a lovely Father’s Day. I think Grampy John and Ernie felt loved and appreciated.  I hope all good fathers everywhere were as blessed.

Have a great week. Hugs, Grammy Lura

9 comments:

betty said...

What a blessing to have Godly men as fathers and sons in yoru family, Lura! I know that makes you feel very glad! Great pictures of your family celebrating a special day!

betty

Kris said...

What a big wonderful family you have Lura! And what a fabulous meal your daughter prepared too!!!
I also enjoyed reading about your cruise! I am way behind in reading my blogs lately. I feel very out of the loop! But I am trying to catch up with everyone!
I hope you are feeling much better too! You have been through way too much!!!
xo Kris

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, you are so blessed to have the family you have. I am so happy for you. I loved seeing all of the Father's Day smiles. You deserve each and every one of them. You've been through a rough time these past couple of years with all of the health issues you have had to deal with. I am happy that despite all of this you still have so many reasons to smile! Love you with all my heart! You so deserve all of your happiness. xxoo

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Next time we meet, I think I need to try that sushi!

What a blessing John and all of those men are in your lives. I'm sort of like you. My dad isn't in my life and I'm lucky I now have a good step dad, but I'm soooo thankful that I have such a great husband and father for my girls!!!

Karen Mortensen said...

So glad you were able to have such a great day. You have a wonderful family.

Birgit said...

You are very blessed with a wonderful family who all seem quite close and that is rare. So many nowadays find fault and complain instead of seeing what is truly worth seeing. My dad died when i was 23 but he left a lasting impression and one of fairness, trust and loyalty. he was a brave man and a true one and i am lucky to have known him. Even though you did not have a father figure you are blessed to have such a wonderful family and a husband who is a great father and granddad.

Sybil said...

It is always such a great pleasure to join in with your family celebrations, Fathers Day being no different...(although I am a bitty late John..I see you had a wonderful day) Thank you for sharing. Much love winging it's way to CA. xx

Great-Granny Grandma said...

You're blessed to have such a beautiful, talented, close-knit and loving family.

LeAnn said...

Oh that was such a marvelous Father's Day celebration. You two have such a lovely family and I loved reading about your dear husband's fathers day celebration. The pictures were so sweet and the food look yummy too.
Blessings, love and hugs!