Last week I recapped the highlights of the 1st 6 months of 2011. In some ways 2011 was tragic and difficult year… but… in many ways, it was also a year full of blessings and smiles.
For my Sunday smiles today I want to highlight the smiles I had during the last 6 months of 2011.
My biggest smiles in July came when I found I did not have cancer. At the time of our accident a CT scan showed I had enlarged ovaries. The doctors feared I had cancer and felt I should have surgery as soon as my broken ribs were healed enough . The date was set for July 18th.
My 2 and 1/2 hour surgery went well. Family and friends once again rallied around to help me.
We were all smiling.
John and I also celebrated our 46th anniversary in July. How thankful we were that we both had survived the accident and we were together. Smile Smile
August was filled with birthday smiles. My friends Louann and Craig and I all have birthdays in the first week of August. Dear Friends and family came over and we had a nice time celebrating together. Life is precious.
The day after my birthday, John drove me to San Diego to meet my blog friend, Buttercup. That was a special day full of smiles.
In September we took a wonderful cruise though the Panama Canal with a group of friends. After getting so badly injured in the accident and having major surgery in July, I was afraid we would have to cancel this cruise which had been planned the year before. …. but…. I made it just fine and had a wonderful time. I will give you a travel log and share those smiles with you one day.
I got to return to working in the Redland’s LDS Temple in October. My husband and I had been temple workers there for 3 years before the accident. I was released on medical leave after the accident. I missed serving in the house of the Lord and was very thankful when I was healed enough to return. (If you would like to see other temples or learn more about them click on the picture of this temple.)
We also made a lovely trip to Utah in October…. We finished the trip we started in March that got so rudely interrupted by our accident.
We had a wonderful visit with family and I got to meet another dear blog friend… Leann. Our trip was full of smiles.
Thanksgiving was the highlight of November…. which you already know since I posted about every detail. We were truly thankful for all of our blessings during that month of Thanksgiving… and we still are.
Getting to speak at Stake Conference and at our Women’s Improvement Club luncheon was also a highlight for me. I was thankful to be able to share the story of our Accident Miracle and my testimony of the power of prayer with others. I was also smiling that I got to meet sweet another blog friend, Kris.
November was full of smiles.
As always, December was full of smiles. We had wonderful dinners and parties with family and friends.
We loved spending Christmas Eve and …
…Christmas day with Mindy and Ernie and the kiddos.
Church was special on Christmas day. Ernie lead the choir, Mindy played her flute and Claire sang a solo. We were busting out with smiles and love for these dear ones.
(This picture was taken at rehearsal…not during church.)
I was not up to traveling up to Utah the day after Christmas like we usually do. I missed spending time with Utah dear ones but the thought of driving on icy roads makes me nervous after the terrible accident we had last March. I hope I will get over the fear I have of driving on ice and snow with a little more time.
We said goodbye to 2011 with hearts full of thankfulness for the blessing and Miracles we experienced during the year.
We went out to dinner with our friends rejoicing that we are alive and healing from our accident.
I am not sorry to see 2011 end…. but I do not regret the experiences we had. The accident was devastating. We still have pain and there are many things we can no longer do. I miss being like I was before the accident…. but… we have been blessed a thousand times over with loving family and friends who have rallied around us and supported us.
You are among the list of friends I am thankful for. Thank you for the prayers you said for us and for the love you gave me. I treasure the sweet memories of your kindness in my heart.
I’ve not been well since Christmas but I am feeling better today. I will get back to visiting you soon. Meanwhile, I am sending you my love and best wishes for 2012. Hugs, Lura







9 comments:
Lura I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well but hopefully you're on the mend. I love the way you recapped the year. :) Please say a prayer for me - I'm returning to the mission in south Louisiana for the month of February to take someone's place who is ill. I'll have my computer though. :) blessings, marlene
Hope you're feeling better every day. I'm excited for 2012. I hope we both have better years ahead. Love you!!!
Lura, you remain in my prayers and I hope you get to feeling better soon. You are so amazing and such an inspiration to me. I feel deep gratitude to have you as a friend. I love all of your pictures and thoughts. You have so many wonderful friends and family. Blessings to you and I will look forward to more moments with you.
Hi Lura,
You have had such an amazing year! So much pain and and suffering, and yet, so many blessings too. You have such a beautiful family, and in everything you say, your love of family is reflected!
I hope to see you again soon Lura!!!
Hugs,
Kris
Lura, I am so sorry that you are still not feeling well. I feel that I must let you down as a friend as I didn't know this. :-( I thought you were just very busy and had not a lot of time to blog and such. I don't like to e-mail as I know your e-mail account gets very full so I just wait to hear from you. Please forgive me for not being a good friend. I do so love you my dear sister. Todd and I spend some time each day talking about when we go to California, hopefully in 2013. We are saving our pennies! I surely hope that 2012 is a much better year for you both and that you will be completely healed from all that you have had to suffer through in 2011!! I send much love and missing you hugs your way. xxoo
Thank you for that lovely "smiles" I am so thankful to Marie for having introduced us together and I thnak God for that every day just as I thank God for you two dear friends and always ask for continued healing...
Sorry you are not quite so good at the moement. Sometimes after Christmas I think we all get a bit low and that can let in any germs that are lurking around..
Much Love Sybil xx
i'm so glad you are feeling better today! i always love to read your posts and miss you when you don't:) and i just know 2012 is gonna rock!! lots of smiles to come, i know it!
happy new year(belated!)! xoxo
It is a miracle that you are able to look back on 2011 with "smiles". You and John have lived with faith and determination. I admire and love you both and so look foward to 2012 with you as friends.
I feel so lucky to have your example in my life. :)
Post a Comment