Sunday, January 8, 2012

Looking back at 2011 with smiles

goodbye

2012

I can’t say that I am sad to say goodbye to 2011.  It was a hard year full of challenges…. but it was also a year of miracles and blessings.

A_staffy's_Sunday_Six

As I think of the good things that happened this year my heart is full of thankfulness and smiles.

For my Sunday Six today I will recount some of the highlights of the 1st 6 months of  2011 that made me smile.

highlights

jan

IMG_0118

We brought in the New Year 2011 with our dear Utah Family

IMG_0138

 

We were excited to see Ernie’s high school band march in the Tournament of Roses Parade… that was a big honor for Ernie and his band kids.

feb

IMG_0512

The most important event in February was Ellie’s adoption being finalized in court. What a special day!!

IMG_0591

John and I took a Valentine’s cruise to Catalina Island and Ensenada

IMG_3449IMG_1826IMG_0288IMG_0312

My 1st herbal tea party of the year was in Feb. Jan was feeling better back then and we spent a day decorating cupcakes for our tea party. That was a lot of fun.

march

IMG_0837IMG_0859IMG_0838

I made lots of sewing projects for grandkiddos including 19 superman capes for Austin’s 6th birthday party, 2 quiet books and…

… a Temple/Blessing dress for our Ellie Mae.

IMG_0881

Finishing those projects made me smile.

IMG_5322Lura's ribs

On March 25th we survived 3 collisions on the 15 freeway in Nephi, Utah on the way to Ellie’s temple sealing. Being in that terrible accident did not make me smile but John and I both surviving surely does. Ellie was sealed to our family in the Temple on March 26th. John and I missed it because of the accident but all the rest of our family attended… that made me smile too.

april

IMG_0954

On April 2nd my doctors let us break the ICU two visitor rule so my family could come into my rooIMG_0952m for Ellie’s blessing.

I had had a really bad day & took a turn for the worse that day.  I was afraid they would cancel permission for the blessing…but they didn’t. That really made me smile.

IMG_1383

On April 15, after 3 weeks in ICU/PCU, I got to graduate to Heritage Care Rehab hospital.  Yea!

IMG_1235IMG_1247

My girls brought a lovely Easter dinner to the hospital for me. Smile..Smile..

mayIMG_1420

After 6 weeks in the hospital, I finally got to come home to CA.  Friends greeted us … Even the sign at the front door made me smileBob John and I were so happy to be home together.

IMG_1507

My hospital bed was all set up in the family room so I could be down in bed but still be a part of things.  That made me smile.

IMG_1469

Our grandson, Johnny, made the level 9 USA National Gymnastics Team on May 7th.

IMG_1446IMG_1447

I was disappointed that I could not attend Nationals which were held in Long Beach, just an hour’s drive from our home…. but Johnny came out to give me my own specialized “walker-gymnastics' show.” That made me smile.

IMG_1464IMG_1466

On May 8th John and my sweet girls made Mother’s Day special. Looking back on these pictures makes me smile. I had a chest full of broken ribs, was bedridden and could hardly walk. Considering the shape I was in… I think I looked pretty good…don’t you? lol

june

IMG_1595IMG_1580

Mindy and the kids made Father’s Day special for John. My heart was full of smiles that John survived the accident and was here with us to celebrate with us.

As you can see, I had lots to smile about during the 1st six months of 2011.

I am thankful for these smiles and many more that I didn’t list here.

What made you smile in 2011 and were the highlights of your year ?

I am sending New Year best wishes your way.

Hugs, Grammy Lura

12 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, my biggest smile of the year came from answered prayers and knowing that you and John were going to be ok! That's the truth! After losing Angie, I don't think I could have stood to lose you too. ((((hugs)))) You are such a blessing to me in so very many ways. I love you very much my sweet soul sister, kindred spirit friend. Hope we can talk soon, xxoo

bettyj said...

I guess what made me smile most in 2011 was knowing they had gotten all of Amandas breast cancer.The PUNK, is what Andrew called the lump! Lots of other reasons to smile too. Reading your blog always makes me smile.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm so glad that you can look back and find so many things to smile about Lura. God surely had His hand on you and John and that in itself is worth the biggest smile of all. blessings, marlene

Kris said...

Oh my...what a year you have had!!!!! I can see why you would be happy to bid 2011 goodbye and welcome 2012 with enthusiasm! I certainly hope this year brings you continued health, and much happiness!!!
Hugs,
Kris

Jan's Blog said...

My biggest smile of 2011 was when you and John survived that horrific accident. And, how I was smiling when you both went cruising to Panama, and how I smile everyday knowing you are just down the road. Having you close makes me smile. Love you dear friend!!!

nicole said...

Loved this post Lura, and I love your positive outlook on everything. I think it's SO COOL that your grandson is on the national gymnastics team! That was always a dream of mine before I broke my back and had to give it up. You have such a wonderful family. Sending hugs your way! xoxo

TUTU Monkey said...

Happy New Year!!!!!!!! Glad to see you looking so healthy!!! Hope to see you in 2012!!

Visits With Mary said...

A hard year for you, it's good to see your smiles in all the pictures. Continued healing and God Bless.. Happy New Year.

LeAnn said...

Lura, you are so amazing. What a beautiful sister you are and I truly love you. I am so happy we got to meet. I always feel so uplifted and inspired when I read your smiles. You are a marvel and I know that your faith and the many prayers were answered and you have many more smiles to give to your family, friends, church and to the world. Love and hugs to you and thanks for sharing your first 6 months of 2011. I loved it.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Dear Grammy Lura,

I am sorry you haven't been feeling well. Seems to me you have had more than your fair share of that and I hope you feel better ASAP.

What makes ME smile is how you always find something to smile about even when things are not the best. You are such an inspiration to me and that makes me smile too!

I am so thankful you are still here to blog in 2012 after that horrific accident. I know there were times you weren't sure you would (or even wanted to) to be here but God is not done with you yet thankfully and I pray that the rest of 2012 is filled with good health and blessings! I know there are so many more magical moments for you to share with your beautiful family and then with us!!

Warm hugs from the very cold MA!!

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Sweet Lura: What makes me smileis reading your blog! I can't believe I didn't leave you a comment when I read your post on Monday. I was just checking on you tonight when I saw that. Did I ever tell you I love your Blog and all the interesting things you post about and all the gadgets you use to make it look pretty. Each day is getting better for you and that will continue, I am sure. You will be out gardening soon and enjoying the outdoors. Still planning on coming to see you; it will be after June when Mr. S.O. will be done working. Have a great week.
{{HUGS}} Joy

hoLLy said...

i'm with marie-so glad we didn't lose you lura! thats something i am happy about!

i'm glad that despite the tears and struggles of 2011, you still had much to smile about. you are here! and you are improving daily-yea!

and yes i agree a trip to southern california is in order. we ended up doing florida instead simply because we had the extra money and knew it might be the only time we could do a big dworld vacay. but our next big trip is definitely out your way!!! miss you-xoxo