It is November…. the month of Thanksgiving. We surely have lots to be thankful for….. lots to smile about. Here are 6 smiles from our recent trip to Utah.
1. I was smiling that we completed our trip this time without an accident.
W e pulled off of the freeway at Nephi where we had our accident last March and visited the junk yard where they took our car and the hospital where they first took us.
I didn’t remember any of it until we looked in the trauma room where John and I were first treated.
Then I got a knot in the pit of my stomach as the memories of that evening came flooding back. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough but I was happy that we could thank the nurses who took care of us….. and …2. I was smiling that John and I were walking out of that room instead of being on a gurney like the last time we were there.
I also stopped back by the Heritage Care Center in American Fork where I stayed 3 weeks in rehab once I was out of intensive care in Provo. I made cookies to take back to the staff that were so kind to me while I was there. 3. Eric, my PT and I were both smiling that I was doing so much better than I was when I last saw him and I could not stand up on my own for more than a few seconds. We both felt thankful for the progress I have made.
4. We were smiling that our Utah kids always make us feel so welcome.
Our jaws ached from smiling non stop the whole time we were there. (I have lots of family pictures I will share with you another time.)
I also had a lovely lunch at our friend, Vicki’s house. She set a beautiful table.
Her delicious soup warmed both my tummy and my heart on that cool day. (Aren’t her individual soup tureens darling!!) Our friend, Claudia joined us. Claudia recently lost her husband to cancer. Her faith and courage touches my heart. 5. I was thankful for Vicki’s hospitality and that I could spend time with these two sweet friends.
I also got to meet my lovely blog friend, LeAnn. She took me out for a delicious lunch. LeAnn found my blog after our accident when Marie asked her readers to pray for me. I began getting comments from LeAnn which supported and encouraged me. I started following her blog called Living Waters. I am always inspired by her writings. She is a wonderful lady. I felt like we were sisters as soon as we met, just like I did when I met Marie. I am sure that we will be forever friends. Take a minute to read both of their blogs. They will enrich your day. 6. Spending time with LeAnn made me smile.
Provo Canyon, Bridal Veil Falls, the crisp, cool air and the fall foliage also made me smile but I will have to tell you about that another time since I have already reached my 6 smile limit.
I am the keynote speaker at our city’s Women’s Improvement Club luncheon this coming Tuesday. I am humbled that they want me to tell our accident story and what I have learned from it. I am praying that I can say those things that will be meaningful and inspirational to them. Wish me luck.
Once my talk is over, I plan to decorate for Thanksgiving. I usually decorate for fall in Sept. However, since we were gone 2 weeks in Sept. cruising the Panama Canal…. and 2 weeks in Oct. visiting Utah… I am way behind. It is hard for me this year since my ribs are not completely healed and it hurts to use my left arm… but our kids will be coming for Thanksgiving and I want the house to look pretty. That gives me motivation to get it done.
After my talk I will have more time to read blogs too. I look forward to catching up with each of you….. until then…..Have a great week. Hugs, Grammy Lura







13 comments:
Wonderful photos of your trip to Utah. The Fall colors are delicious. It is wonderful to see photos of Vicki and Claudia.
You will do great at the Women's Club. You are especially wonderful at stake conference. I will pray for you.
I did so love seeing all the pictures of your Sunday Smiles Lura. I am so very grateful that you were able to return to those places that you were once in so much pain and now are so much better! I am sure they all saw vast improvements! I applaud your courage on being able to take that drive again. I would have been more than a tad bit nervous! I am so jealous that you got to meet Leanne!! She is such a sweet blogger and it is my dream to one day meet her too! I wish I could be at the Women's Club to hear you speak. I just know you will do a wonderful job and be so inspiring to everyone lucky enough to be there! Todd and I have decided that once we get over this latest hurdle that we are having to jump over we are going to begin planning a trip to the US in earnest. Life is too short to put off all the things you want to do. I send much love to you and John and the family. xxoo
Lura I'm totally jealous that you got to meet another blog friend but not me! :) Someday I'm coming your way and we will also share a meal. What a joy to revisit those places where God reached down and touched you with His healing hand and shared His angels with you through the medical personnel. And in the end to arrive safely at your family's welcome. Pure joy! blessings, marlene
Such wonderful pictures...love the waterfall!
And, I'm so happy this trip was so very different and you are up for traveling again!
You continue to be such an inspiration to me. I think it is awesome you were asked to speak about the accident. You went through this all with such faith and courage. I just love you much and you are a forever friend for sure. I loved all your pictures, smiles and thoughts. It was so fun to have lunch with you. Blessings, hugs and love to you!
I am so glad that your visit went so well and accident free !!
teh photographs show just what fun you all had..We are all holding our dear Marie in our thoughts and prayers in the days ahead...
Prayers for you too that all goes well at the Womans club. I am sure that the lord will be surrounding you all, they to hear your words and by your side as you face them...
Much love Sybil xx
Lura I am smiling too. It was wonderful to see you having such a good time. I know the hospital personnel love your success story. It is a blessing you can encourage others with your testimony now. Keep it up and thank you for the prayers. Amanda said she can really feel all the prayers being said for her. So can I.
Wonderful!! I can't wait to meet you Lura!!
So enjoyed reading about your trip Lura, Halloween and pumpkin patch fun! What courage to drive to Utah but what thankfulness your hearts must have felt to see the staff that helped you so much at the hospital and rehab center . As a nurse I can really appreciate how the staff must've been so happy to see you and John well again . All the best as you speak at the Woman's club. Wish I could be there to hear you . xoxo
I'm so happy your trip was wonderful, and safe! Thank you for all your smiles. I hope your speech at the Women's Club went well yesterday!
Hi Lura. I'm glad you made it safely to Utah and back on your most recent trip. We were up there this past weekend and I thought about you and John as we traveled through Nephi. What an awful event occurred there. But I'm sure, looking back, that there have been many blessings that have come into your life that wouldn't have otherwise.
It looks like your family is doing very well. I'm glad you get to see them often. Grandchildren, especially, are such a blessing. Honestly, Jim and I would have NO LIFE if it wasn't for our grandchildren...they really keep us hoppin'...we love every minute of it though. Keep up the good work on your recovery.
So glad you had a good visit to Utah. Please keep the pictures coming. I enjoy seeing your adorable family. Of course we know how special it is to meet blog friends and what a blessing. Marie has become a dear blog friend and I will now go and visit Leanne. Hugs and prayers to you and John across the miles!
how wonderful you were able to go and thank all of those people! you are such an inspiration, both you and john! i love you!!
good luck on your speech/talk! i'm not surprised they want you to talk. you are so darn awesome!!
Post a Comment