Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Welcome to Port # 2 Puerto Vallarta

IMG_1968

Our second port was suppose to be Acapulco, but we ended up visiting Puerto Vallarta, Mexico instead.   Acapulco had a visitor we didn’t want to run into…

….Hurricane Hillary….

IMG_1981

IMG_2079

Hillary decided that she wanted to visit Acapulco the same day that we were suppose to dock there.  We were a big ship but she was bigger… a stage 4 hurricane… so she called the shots. Our captain took us on an unexpected 250 mile detour out into the Pacific to get us out of Hillary’s path. The ship posted hourly updates of Hillary’s route.  We were glad our captain knew exactly what to do in order to keep us safe.

I was disappointed to miss Acapulco because I’ve never been there before… but I like Puerto Vallarta…. and I was glad to visit there again.

IMG_1951

 

We took the city tour. It is not expensive and shows you quite a lot of the special sites.

 

 

 

This old Cathedral is  a highlight of the tour.

IMG_1942IMG_1943

It is breathtakingly beautiful.

IMG_1945IMG_1947

Our friends, Kathy and Dave went with us on this tour.

IMG_1946IMG_1949

After being awed by the beautiful workmanship of the cathedral, we took a drive through the town…

IMG_1960IMG_1952

John noted that the electrical code must not be as strict as it is in the USA.

 IMG_1959IMG_1957IMG_1956IMG_1958

Our last stop was to take pictures of the scenic coast line….

IMG_1962

 

…before returning to our ship.

IMG_1965

This port is large enough to berth 2 ships. No tenders are needed here. The ships pull right up to the dock which is convenient.

IMG_1963IMG_1964

We shared the port with the Carnival Splendor. Splendor was the ship that got in the news last year when she had an engine room fire and was stranded without power for 4 days. I’ve been on the Splendor twice. I was glad to see her back in service.

IMG_1969IMG_1970

There are small shops right next to the dock and a Wal-mart across the street where you can buy souvenirs or anything you forgot to pack.

I really like Puerto Vallarta. I hope that you enjoyed your visit here with me today. Our next stop will be in Guatemala.  Be sure to join me there.

Until then…. have a great week.  

 

6 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Looks beautiful Lura! When is your next cruise and where? blessings, marlene

LeAnn said...

Loved the pictures. We went on a cruise about 25 years ago and visited Puerto Vallarta. I loved the clear bluish water on the beach. The pictures brought back some memories. I love following your posts and it is fun to see the pictures.
Hope that we will be able to get together at some point.
Blessings to you and keep enjoying your journey.

hoLLy said...

bummer to miss out on acapulco but puerto vallarta sure looks gorgeous! thanks for sharing you trip pics with us! loev seeing it all! and i love the pic of you and john-the love you have for each other emanates in all of your photos. love it. and love you!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Bummer about the hurricane, but so glad you were safe. What a beautiful place to visit.

Sybil said...

What a lovely city that looks glad that you were able to enjoy ...again..I am enjoying your cruise very much...
glad also that you were able to dock without using a tender...I coudl have joined you there as well LOL
Love Sybil xx

Marie Rayner said...

Don't know how I missed this post Lura!! I found it today though. What a lovely cruise you had!! I am enjoying all the pictures and your wonderful narrative. It is my dream for Todd and I to go crusing with you and John one day! Oh how wonderful that will be!! Happy MOnday sweet friend! xxoo