Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My last night in the hospital

This will be my last night in the hospital. Tomorrow at 11:30 a.m. I will be on a plane heading to California. When I leave here tomorrow it will be 42 days since our vacation to visit family ended with this crash…on the I15 freeway where we had 3 collisions going 75 mph….

IMG_5331

40 miles before we got to our daughter’s house.

In some ways it seems like it seems like I have been in the hospital forever….

IMG_6722

But then when I look back at how badly I was hurt on March 25th

ribs

With a crushed chest full of broken ribs, sternum and a collapsed lung….

IMG_1346IMG_1260

…and compare it to how I am today….I am amazed that I am doing as well as I am. Last week when I went back to see my doctors at the trauma center they were very pleased at how well I am doing. One said that when I first arrived there he was afraid I would not be walking out. I know that part of the reason is because I have received good medical care. I know that the many prayers offered in my behalf and all the love I’ve been given has also played a big a part in my recovery. None of my broken ribs have mended together and healed yet. I am still in quite a bit of pain. I know my recovery will be slow…….BUT LOOK HOW FAR I HAVE COME!!! I am thankful.

IMG_1383

This is the Heritage Care Center where I have been getting therapy for the last 20 days.

IMG_1385

Today I took a walk around the building with my head physical therapist, Eric.

Let me introduce you to some of the kind people here who have helped me so much.

My physical and occupational therapists have done a wonderful job working with me.

IMG_1268IMG_1269

Chelsea, Ali, Eric , Loreal…………………….and Tami have treated me with love.

IMG_1345IMG_1348

Avery always greeted me with a smile. Jake came in to sing hymns to me with his beautiful voice.

IMG_1286IMG_1378

My CNAs, Kailie and Jake both came in on their days off to let me meet their cute families.

IMG_1375

I can not raise my arms to wash my own hair.

Jayne, the hair dresser here at the center has become a good friend and kept my tresses looking stylish.hair

I do not have pictures of many of the kind people that have helped me and blessed my life during the 3 weeks I was in ICU and PCU or almost 3 weeks here at Heritage. However, I am thankful for each one of them.

Tomorrow I will make my long journey home.

I am both excited and nervous. I know the long trip will be hard since I have not set up for more than 2 hours since the accident….but…it will be good to be home.

John has arranged for me to have a hospital bed and all the equipment I will need. Friends have offered help and support. I am so appreciative.

Please pray for me as I make this journey tomorrow. John is worried for me.

I know with prayers and faith I will be just fine.

Thanks again for your love and prayers.

So, for this last night from a hospital, I bid you farewell.

Much love, Lura

15 comments:

Sybil said...

Dear Lura, As I write this you shodl be asleep...although I doubt if you will be...I will have you in my arrow prayers all daytoday and hope that mine along with 100's of others will do their work in keeping you safe till you are home with dear John and surrounded by all the love of the church an family..I am praying that when the air crew see your siruation that they will make sure you have as much space as possible and maybe even be able to lie flat for a wee bit.
God Bless,
Much Love Sybil xx

Marie Rayner said...

Lura I am lifting you up in prayers as you make this arduous journey home. I hope it will not be too painful for you and that your healing will grow by leaps and bounds once you get there! It will be good for you to be amongst all your own things and in the familiar comfort of your own home. I know it will be very hard, but you have already come so far. When you think of how far you have come in 42 days, it is amazing. You are a walking miracle, and a wonderful inspiration to so many people around the world. I love you with every scrap of my being. You are a very special and dear friend, and you mean the world to me. God speed. I will be helping to carry you part of the way with my prayers along with many others. ((((hugs)))) I hope to speak to you soon. You will have to let me know when it is a good time to call you. I have tried over the past couple of days but I seem to be calling when you are out and about! That is a good thing . . . that you are out and about, not that I can't catch you! I send lots of love and healing hugs. xxoo

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh you have come so far Lura!! The journey is not over but you will get there!!

Wishing you a very safe journey home Lura! I know it will be hard but being home will be the best medicine for you. I look forward to that post that says HOME!!

Much love and gentle hugs!!

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Lura, hope you have a nice and comfort travel to HOME.
Send you huugss and prayers, when you feel more comfortable, talk us how you are.

Remember God is with you my dear, Prayers, love and kisses, gloria

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

Lura, I'm so happy to know that you are going home. I think you will notice a great improvement in your recovery once you are in your own familiar surroundings. I know your ward family will rally around and treat you with the same love and kindness that you have received from your health care professionals in Utah County. Good Luck today with your plane flight and I wish you a Very Happy Homecoming!!

Anonymous said...

Oop's, sorry! That's my comment above, not Kami, she was signed in on my computer. Love, Nancy

Kris said...

I am praying for your safe, comfortable, timely arrival home. I will be there with a huge smile waiting!!!!

Peggy Glasmann said...

I am so excited for you. It is absolutely amazing that you are going home already. 42 days to going home for someone who was not expected to even live is a MIRACLE! You work hard. Endure what you must and trust the Lord. He and John and everyone who loves you at home will be there to surround you and help you. You can do this!! Can't wait to hear an update from home!!

The Barton's said...

I am so glad you get to be home. You will probably be sore and extra tired so be patient with your self ! Lots of love!

Luigi said...

Thinking of you and sending my love!!!

winterberryprimitives said...

well I am glad to hear you are out of hospital and on way home! Thats just wonderful

I bet hubby is sooo excited too
I am leaving Florida tomorrow and heading home too...
will peek in at you soon!
hugz.......
Lana (Winterberry Primitives)

Jan's Blog said...

I'm so excited to know that you are just down the street. Between my illnesses and yours we have not seen one another yet, and it makes me cry, but give me a day or two and then you won't be able to get rid of me. You are so dear to me and I love you so. Jan

Sheryl said...

Hey sweet friend! You are home by now, and I hope all the prayers offered helped with a smoother transition home. You have been an example of grace under pressure, and you have amazed us all on your journey so far!! Now we can grab you here at home,and continue your care. See you soon!!

Sheba's Mommy said...

It was great to see you arrive safely home yesterday! I hope to see you again really soon, I want to come for visits and help out in any way I can! We love you so much!

-Chelsea

hoLLy said...

you have come a long long way! its amazing how much you have improved. you are a miracle! so glad you are done with hospitals! woohoo!!! love you!!