(Note..I tried to post this yesterday but I couldn't until today. Since it is now Saturday afternoon I am going to let this post count as my Sunday Six Smiles.... a day early. I've put in more than 6 reasons to smile in this post.... but I had to list them all for my record of coming home....and they are too dear to me to leave them out.)
When we started our trip to Utah on March 24th, 2011 we were full of excitement . We make that 700 mile trip often to visit family and attend the special events our grandchildren are involved in.
- We had been there after Christmas and celebrated New years with them in Jan.
- We made the trip in Feb. to attend a gymnastic meet with Johnny and to go to court with Erin and Patrick to finalize the adoption of little Ellie Mae.
- However, this trip in March was really special. All of our family was coming together from across the USA to celebrate and rejoice with Erin and Patrick as they took their little Elizabeth Mae to the temple and then had her blessed.
It was with great anticipation that I finished the temple/blessing dress I was making for Ellie to wear on her special day and we packed up the Prius, our wonderful car we so loved to travel in, and headed to Utah on what we thought would be a fabulous 10 day trip…..
…never dreaming that it would be a life changing event and at about 40 miles from our destination, our nightmare would begin. I had just called Erin, telling her that we would arrive at their new home in a few minutes…. but it was not to be. In fact, even though I was in Utah 6 weeks, I never got to go to their beautiful new home...or see the new home David bought either.
After having 3 collisions going 75 miles per hour on the freeway, our precious Prius died in the crash but she saved our lives…. which we are told is a miracle… and then….. at last….after 6 agonizing weeks in the hospital,
I was on my way home! Smile...Smile
My 42nd day in the hospital started out as usual with Barbara bringing me my morning meds and Chantel bringing my breakfast. These gals greeted me with a smile every morning…. but Thursday May 5th was special….It was my last day in the hospital! Smile...
John and Erin came and packed me up. It is amazing how much stuff I’d accumulated in 6 weeks. (Thanks to all of you family & friends.)
Eric, my head physical therapist came in with my graduation mortarboard, a certificate, a tee shirt and a card from all my therapists. My head occupational therapist, Tammy, gave me a hug goodbye. Each therapist gave me love and support as well as therapy. Smile...Smile
Notice that the balloons behind me and Tammy are the same balloons that Erin, Gracie and Emma brought me my first week in the hospital. I was amazed that they lasted so long and gave me smiles every day.
We left the hospital, climbed in our friend, Vickie’s car and said goodbye. Believe it or not, it was hard to leave this hospital and my dear Utah family….Goodbyes are always hard for me…both Erin and I had tears flowing as little Cal waved goodbye....even though I was excited to be heading home.
We so appreciated Vickie driving us all the way to Salt Lake City to the airport where we were met by our dear son, David.....smile..smile
David presented me with darling pictures of his kiddos as an early Mother’s Day gift before we boarded our plane. John arranged for me to sit in the first seat to make it easier for me.
At 512 mph we made our 1 1/2 hour flight home .
With 15 broken ribs it wasn’t an easy trip for me but I was supported by love and prayers. That really made me smile.
Our neighbor and sweet friend, Carolyn, picked us up in Long Beach and drove us the 40 miles home. When we drove up into our drive way we were greeted with banners and cheers from our friends Nancy, Chelsea and Kris…
…and balloons at the front door put up by Alicia, one of my WIC (Women’s Improvement Club) sisters. This brought us all smiles. There is a really funny story about this sign I will share with you in another post.
Once inside I found my hospital bed made up and waiting for me with all sorts of gifts and goodies.
My sweet friends presented me with a book of “We will help you” coupons and a tray of darling welcome home flowers and gifts. Smile...smile..
After hours of being up and traveling I was tucked in bed by dear family and loving friends. In all of their lives, I had never been away from Mindy and her family for that long. What a joy it was to be back with them again... even though I already missed our dear ones we left in Utah.
I may have a 15 shattered ribs and a fractured sternum.
I may take months to heal….. but…
I AM SO VERY BLESSED!
I have much to smile about!
It is good to be home.
I am so thankful to have such a loving family and friends.
What would I do without them????
What would I do without you blog friends???
In the midst of this terrible experience, I can see that I am loved and blessed.
My heart is full of gratitude and smiles
I thank God daily for all of you and for all my blessings.
Thanks once again for your cards, calls, comments and prayers.
I feel the support and it is helping me through this difficult time.
I hope all is well with you and yours and you are smiling too.
Love, Lura







19 comments:
I'm so glad you're home! :) Hope you are doing well. You have such a wonderful and caring family, you're in good hands. My continued prayers for a swift recovery.
Thank you for sharing your trip home. I was with you in spirit most of the day..I was trying to get the "clock times" sorted out..
Keep smiling dear friend..
Love Always Sybil xx
PS I definately read your previous page too !!! think Blogger was having a "hitch"
Hi Lura: What a sweet account of your trip home. I wonder if it was really that easy... It must have been very trying. Anyway, I'm so glad you're home and that you know you are loved!!!
Is so nice you are finally at home dear Lura, was difficult but you are there thanks God for this!!
I continue prayer my dear friend.,hope you has a lovely and nice weekend, hugggs Love yah! gloria
Lura your journey has been long and hard but just like life's journey the reward is wonderful! Being back home is bound to speed your healing tenfold. Soon you will back to a more normal routine and every day you will find new things you can do. Just to be home with your own "stuff" around you will lift your heart. While I was in Israel I prayed for you in two places - first at The Church of the Holy Sepulcher, which marks the spot where Christ was crucified, and second at the tomb where Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. I prayed for healing and for grace and for strength. I know that our Father who loves us so much will grant those prayers. blessings, marlene
So glad you are home and it was wonderful to see all the people that made your journey through this odreal a bit easier.
I can only imagine how long the recovery seems right now. I pray that someday it is all but a distant memory!!
If you can stand a little shock.. check out the brothel I visited today! A hooker lives there and I even took pictures!! I think you will be surprised... but in a good way!
HUGS!!
http://aprimitiveplacemagazine.blogspot.com/2011/05/peek-at-our-visit-to-brothel.html
A lovely post,Glad you have so much to Smile about.You make me Smile TY.My prayers are with you.Hugs xxx
Lura: I just sent you an email and now have tears in my eyes as I read about your homecoming. I am so happy you did so well on the flight. We are all pulling for you, you know and have grown to love you through your blog. Prayers go out to you and your wonderful family. Hugs,
Joy
What a fun post! I love your family and friend support! Have a restful Sunday! Lots of love, Norma
Lura, I love your Sunday Smiles! (but then, I always do) I am so very grateful that you and John are still with us and I so appreciate the sacrifice that the Prius made so that you could still be with us. I love you so. Although I know it ws a difficult journey for you, I know you are happy to be home in many ways and now the real healing can begin. I am so very grateful you are still here. Heavenly Father must have a very important job for the pair of you to do!! I send love and hugs and am wishing you a very blessed Sabbath day! I love you! xxoo
Hi Grammy! I really miss you. Can you follow my blog I don't have any followers yet. Thanks! I love you soooo much!
-Em
I love you mom... We miss you like crazy! Cal still asks about dad several times a day, he'll say "Papa?? A-pane?" And for you he will say, "Ammy... Ouch" It was a terrible accident, but the silver lining was getting to spend so much time with you and dad! It really was so precious to have you so close for so long!
I'm so thankful for all of your thoughtful friends, making life comfortable for you at home! You are so loved, and so blessed!
Xoxo
Im glad to hear that through everything you can enjoy being home and that you know that you can still smile. ((Hugs)) and prayers still for your recovery :)
Welcome home Lura! Your courage and smile all this time has been a true inspiration! Hoping now you are home you can get some real rest (those hospitals never let you sleep ;o), and hope that you continue to make a strong recovery. Thank you for sharing these extra sweet moments with us. Hope you'll be snug at home again. Thank you for taking the time to visit me at my place--so sweet of you! Yes, we're headed Stateside. My family is all on the East coast. But we would love to go West sometime. ;o) Keep getting well... Happy Days ((HUGS))
I am so HAPPY you are home!!! We continue to pary for you!!!
sending you lots of love!!
What an adventure that you have had and a very painful one. I can't even imagine how much pain you have had with 15 broken ribs and sternum. Wow, you are lucky to still be here. You have such a sweet positive attitude no wonder you are so loved by so many. I loved all the sweet pictures of family and friends. You are very lucky; but I would say very blessed. Love and blessings to you!
Take care, Lura. Sounds like it is so good to be home. I am thinking of you and praying for you every night. Relax..if you can.
Friends,
Susannah
Lura, I am so glad you are on the mend. slowly but surely you will be better. I am glad you are home and remember down in the mountains of E. Tn prayers are still continuing for you.
betty
Trying to catch up on all my blog reading. Haven't been able to do it for a while.
Will your ribs eventually just heal themselves and re-attach to your sternum? I'm not sure how that works.
Post a Comment