Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday Smiles from Las Vegas

I am smiling today because I know that the Lord blessed me this week.
I was the recipient of His "Tender Mercies"
I am thankful.
...
My stomach was misbehaving last Thursday.
I felt yucky....but we serve in the temple each Thursday.
I prayed that I would get my IBS under control so I could do my temple shift.
...
I was blessed and I made it through my 6 hour shift just fine.
I know that was an answer to my prayers.
I am smiling about that.
...
My 13 year old grandson, Johnny, was in an important National Gymnastic meet
this last Fri. in Las Vegas.
I called my daughter, Lynell, Thursday morning
and told her that I was sick and we probably could not make it to Vegas.
However, after making it through our temple shift Thursday,
I prayed that I would feel like traveling to Vegas the next day.
I woke up Friday morning....feeling better...so we started our drive to Vegas.
When we arrived there about 4 hours later I was feeling fine!
We made it to the gym just in time to see all of Johnny's meet.
I was really smiling!
This was the Blackjack Winter Cup.
It was the first time that Johnny has competed at level 9.
It was really an exciting meet for Johnny because he got to watch the
US Olympic team practice and complete there.
He was competing against 65 other boys from all over the country in his division.
It was the first National competition Johnny has been in.
He did well enough at the state level to go to regional last year.
He did well enough at regionals to compete at the National level.
I am so happy that we could be there to support him.
His mom, his sister and John and I made up his cheering section.


This is Johnny on the high bar.
Lynell took better pictures than I could get.
I will post those when I get copies from her.
I was not that close so you have to look hard to see Johnny.

...but if you really try you can almost see him in his red gymnastics's
suit up on the rings.

He did his best routine ever on the rings.
He also got his best score ever on his vault and floor exercise.
However, the competition was fierce....
...a fraction of a point was all it took to place or not place.
He ended up getting 2nd place on the rings....
...and fifth place on the vault.
We are so glad that we could be there to enjoy this special event.
We think it is great that he got two medals at such a big competition.
However, Johnny might have been a bit disappointed.
He is used placing in every event.
I know he tried his best.
I think he would have placed on the high bar ...
...but...
he went for a difficult release move where you let go of the bar and flip over
and catch it again.
None of the other boys I saw tried to do that move.
Unfortunately, Johnny's fingers just missed the bar after his flip and he fell.
He got back up and finished his routine well but
that fall knocked him out of competition.
He probably would have won if he had landed that move.
He can do it when he practices at his gym at home.
It is harder to do in a big competition.
I wonder...
...Is is better to do a solid routine and not fall....
or go for the gold and give it all you've got even if you take a chance of falling???
What do you think?

Our little 597 was one tired boy after the meet.
Needless to say...
We are very proud of him.
...
I have more to tell you about our Vegas trip.
I will do that next time.
I was feeling fine until we started driving home last night.
My dumb stomach started misbehaving when we were about an hour from home.
I was pretty sick again by the time we got home.
I was able to go to the first hour of church today and then
I came home to curl up in bed.
However, I have to smile.
I felt this bad last Thursday morning and thought I would have to stay in bed all day....
but I was blessed to get well enough
to be able to go do my temple shift..
... and go to Las Vegas to see Johnny's meet.
I am thankful.
I have a funny story to tell you next time when I feel better.
I hope this finds you doing well.
Hugs, Lura

12 comments:

hoLLy said...

sorry for the tummy troubles lura! what a pain in the..well, stomach! :) congrats to your grandson-what an amazing young man! how wonderful that you were able to be there to watch him compete!

Grandma B said...

are you and "mr tums" becoming good friends !! what is causing all the stomach problems, lura?

the pics of your grandson are amazing. what a talented young man.

today is super bowl...hum...back to my computer for me...i'm not into football much.

hope you get feeling better, and stay feeling better. LOL

TUTU Monkey said...

Sorry you are not feeling well.....

What a talented grandson you have!! I am glad you got to see his meet.

Your husband's hat always makes me smile!!

Get well!!

Erin said...

Wish we could have been there! What a blast! We are so proud of our little gymnist! Go Johnny Go!!

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I am so sorry that your tummy is acting up again. I am keeping you in my prayers that it will sort itself out again soon. How nice to see Johnny competing. You should all be so very proud of him. I will not be surprised to one day see his name on the US Olympic team! He's a right little cracker!!! It was so good to chat for a short yesterday. I send you all my love and plenty of get well hugs! xxoo

Mindy and Ernie's Clan said...

I'm proud of you, Johnny. I like the tricks you did on the rings. I wish I could have come to see you. Love, E.J.

joyh82 said...

Wow, congrats to your grandson! Great picture of you all together. He has some muscles! Have a great week.

Baak Talk said...

The Lord is definately tender towards us isn't he! I'm so glad you got to go. What an amazing little offspring you have there!

Anonymous said...

What a great trip and to be able to cheer for Johnny!! What a way to go for him!!! Sorry your stomach is misbehaving but I love how you look at the blessings and remind me to always turn to the Lord! Thanks for that today!

Loves,
Hiroko

Laura and Ryan said...

That's great that he scored so high! Gymnastics are so much fun to watch aren't they?? I can't wait to hear more about your Vegas trip. I've never been there!

Sheryl said...

You are such a trooper to stick it out and rely on your faith and prayers to get you through. There is nothing like being the Grammy is there!!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better and were able to make it to the meet. And to answer your question, I'm not sure what I would do, but probably I'd go for the gold and give it my all.