Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sunday Smiles from Thanksgiving part 1

As I look back on Thanksgiving, my heart is full of smiles.
Even though I wasn't completely well, I had a wonderful week with family.
My smiles started a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving when I
put up my Fall decorations.

Decorating for holidays always makes me smile.
(Actually decorating doesn't make me smile but getting it done does.)

I usually decorate for fall by the beginning of October,
but with our 2 week trip to Utah for Calan's adoption,
making Claire's confirmation dress
and being sick, time got away from me.
I always turn our game room into our buffet table room.
It turns out that with a little help, our shuffle board game and our air hockey game make great
buffet tables.
(I started doing this one year when I kept waiting for John to

take the games out to the shed.
He never got around to it so I just covered them up
and made buffet tables out of them.
Hey, it works for me.)

I use one table for the main course.
One for salads and one for desserts.

Getting my buffet tables set early always makes me smile.

Our family has so much to be thankful for.
I feel so blessed.

Erin's family coming early made me smile.
Erin, Patrick and Calan arrived the Monday before Thanksgiving.
Cal played me several original songs that he'd composed on the piano.
How could I not be smiling with such a musically gifted grandchild???

Since I still had a bad cough, I couldn't hold this sweet baby
as much as I wanted
...but...
Just having cute Cal here brought many smiles my way.

Is he darling or what!!!
Doesn't that face make you smile???
He just loved all of the attention that he got from his cousins....

...and they loved taking care of him.


Cooking with Claire and Erin made me smile.
It is so fun to have sweet helpers in the kitchen.
Claire came over Tuesday & Wednesday to be with Erin and family...
...and to help us get ready.
We baked and cooked all day.
(Yes, I notice that this picture is sideways but I am not going to go to the trouble of fixing it so turn your head ...O.K.? good)
...
Claire was in charge of making the welcome sign for Lynell and family.
Claire's anxious anticipation of family arriving made me smile.
Erin helped her put the welcome sign up on the garage door.

We were so excited when Lynell and family arrived.
They were suppose to get here about noon on Wed.
but car trouble caused them to be delayed for hours and they didn't get here until evening.
We were all surely smiling when they finally got here safe and sound.
I am anxious to tell you all about our Thanksgiving Day....
...and share my smiles with you...
...but...
I have rambled on long enough for one post.
I will continue my Thanksgiving smiles on another day.
...
I know that for some of you, holidays can be sad times.
I am sorry for those who do not have family and loved ones with you to share special times.
My heart goes out to you.
I do not take my family and blessings for granted.
I thank my Father in Heaven for each of them every day.
I hope this holiday season is a blessed one for you.
Hugs, Lura

12 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, so nice to see a post from you and to see some of your Thanksgiving celebration smiles! I have a big grin on my face just thinking about them! It was so lovely for you to share Erin with me in our telephone call. That was so sweet and such a bonus to hear her lovely voice! That little Cal is such a sweetie pie. I don't think I have ever seen a more adorable baby boy! What a blessing in your lives! I am thankful that Lynell and Dathan and family were able to make it safe and sound, if late, and am really praying that things look up for them in this next year! I love your family so much and they are all such a wonderful blessing and example to me. I am not feeling too well today myself. I have a problem tooth that causes me a great deal of pain from time to time. Because it's roots are tangled into my sinus they don't like to take it out as it would be very complicated and cause me even more pain in the long run . . . and so now while it is acting up I am in a lot of pain. I don't know whether it is a toothache, an ear ache or a sinus ache! It feels like all three together and with having to be up all tomorrow night packing it is not something I really needed to experience right now!!! Twil make an evening I dread even more dreadful I'm afraid. Never mind . . . I shall keep the end goal in sight and know that at the end "she" will be gone! What a bonus! I send lots of love and hugs to my favourite person. I am popping a little package into the post for you today. I hope you get it before your holidays! XXOO I love you mostest!

Laura and Ryan said...

Little Cal is so stinkin adorable! I could eat him up! :)

Grandma B said...

Baby Cal is so cute...and quite the little "chunk" too ! Looks like you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hope by now you are feeling a bit better.

Today it is 15 degrees...cold for sure. We did have a bit of snow over the weekend, so maybe a White Christmas is in store. Just finished decorating the tree and house. It's always a big job, but well worth the effort.

NAMI is preparing Christmas for 35 adults, who without our help, would have NO Christmas. Our annual Christmas party for the mentally ill is the 18th, and we plan on about 80 people attending. Lots of work, but the smiles make it worth the time involved. Our wonderful police department is going to help us play Santa Claus by helping us deliver the gifts to the people. They are so supportive of our affiliate.

Take care my friend....I absolutely LOVE Johns hat he wears in so many of the pictures. LOL

Erin said...

It was such a great week! But the only bummer is that is always goes by much too quickly!

I'm glad you enjoyed Calan's original work of art on the piano. He sure loves playing the piano... some parts are soft while other parts are quite lively! He really gets into it! :)

It is snowing here and has been all night- so pretty!

Love you mom!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a great Thanksgiving.

Your house looks so beautiful and warm and inviting.

PS That Calan sure does eat!

hoLLy said...

oh, i can't wait to be back in your house again-such a sweet spirit there! i miss you and look forward to when we get to see you and your family again! we are hoping to do a california trip in 2010-yea! :) maybe in the spring! and we'll of course barge in and visit you!

cal is so so cute. and it looks like claire and aubrey have similar taste in clothing(aubrey has that very same pink and black striped top:) glad to see you all had a great thanksgiving! love ya!

Jan's Blog said...

Dear Darling Lura:
What Spectacular decorations you have and how warm and inviting is your home. That can't be Calan... He's so big. Time Flies!

Thank you for your continued support and love. It the best medicine of them all.

Love you,
Jan

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm jealous of all those pies!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Your grandchildren have the cutest smiles Lura! You can tell they are well loved by the joy that shines from their eyes. What a legacy you are leaving them with your family gatherings. blessings, marlene

Baak Talk said...

What sweet pics of your family! How fun they could come and celebrate Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your Sunday Smiles every week! Thanks for making my week full of Smiles!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

You have a beautiful family, and that Calan is super adorable. You have much to smile about indeed.