Monday, December 14, 2009

Monday Memories from Thanksgiving part 3

OK blog friends...don't faint.
I really am posting 2 blogs in 2 days.
I bet you can't believe it....since I usually only get 1 done a week...
...but...
I am determined to finish up with Thanksgiving before Christmas is here.
(I bet you are thinking....thank goodness this is the last one.)

Even Heidi had a great time with all the company and attention.

I am just trying to capture the spirit of fun and family love we all shared.
I mentioned on my post yesterday that we cooked 2 turkeys
because we were not sure how the one in the smoker would turn out.
We ended up eating our 2nd turkey Friday.
Friday morning we all attended Claire's baptism, which I will tell about in another post.
Then we came back to our house for our 2nd Thanksgiving feast.
It was more casual but just as delicious.

Then we just spent time having fun together.


Saturday we rejoiced when BYU beat Utah, our main rival, by 1 point in overtime.

Then the family helped me take down all the Thanksgiving decorations
and put up some of the Christmas ones.

It is a big job putting away all of the fall stuff.

So, I really appreciate the help.
...
Then our little social director, Loni, planned a special family night for us.
She and Claire gave assignments and made written programs and everything.

Everyone had to preform a talent.
E.J. and Claire played the piano duet from their recital
and each sang a solo for us.
Loni danced and Johnny did some gymnastics.

And then there was some less formal entertainment.
I bet you didn't know Dathan was a dancer!
It was a really fun evening.
I had to smile because Loni put me down on the program to bear my testimony.
She sweetly told me that she listed that as my talent since I did that well and I couldn't do anything else...lol....Oh well, it works for me.
Earlier in the day all the kids went in the pool and jacuzzi.
I thought that I'd downloaded pictures of them in the pool but I didn't
and it is too late now.
However, you will have to take my word for it.
It was 83 degrees out but the pool water was cold.
However, these silly kids played in it until they were turning blue.
Then they jumped in the hot tub and played in the bubbles.
This is another of our traditions.
...
Another tradition is I always make turkey noodle soup from the turkey bones and left overs.

...and the kids get to eat it while in the Jacuzzi.
This is another of our silly traditions.
...
Of course, whenever, Grampy and Loni get together they have to drink their
buttermilk toast.
No one else in the family likes buttermilk so this tradition only applies to these two.

However, this year Grampy did manage to bribe Johnny
and...

... Austin to drink a glass for a dollar.
I couldn't believe it when they took him up on it.
None of the rest of us wanted a dollar bad enough to try it.
...
All too soon it was Sunday morning and my Utah kids had to leave.

I always serve homemade ice cream and Cinnamon toast on their last morning.
(Don't ask how this tradition got started...it is a long story.)

Everyone enjoys our crazy last meal together.

Then our last tradition, before tearfully saying goodbye,
is putting the angels on top of my 2 Christmas trees.
Claire does one and Lonica does the other.
After saying a prayer asking that they might have a safe trip home
and giving lots of hugs and kisses
they are off.
Our few days together fly by so quickly
but they are filled with sweet memories that warm my heart forever.
I would have been an absolutely perfect holiday if only
David and his family could have joined us too.
However, we are thankful that we could all be together last Oct. for Cal's adoption.
Life is good and we feel very blessed and thankful.
Thanks for sharing this with me.
Hugs to all, Lura

9 comments:

hoLLy said...

i think its a HUGE compliment that you were put down to bear your testimony-whats more important than that? :) such fun pictures-i feel like i was there!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What fun and wonderful tradtions you have! I can only imagine how much fun it isa to be one of your grands. The love comes shining through!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

look at all of the love in your house...and all of the talent!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, it looks like you all had such a wonderful, love filled, excellent time together! That is one thing that I noticed when I was over in February, how very much you all love each other and enjoy each other's company. My mom and dad never did anything with us much when we were growing up. I tried to do more with my own children, but I still don't think I did enough. It's very clear to me your family loves you very much and they think the world of you. So do I. Love you mucho mucho dear friend. Can't wait to talk to you! XXOO

Erin said...

Traditions are the best!

We're sad we had to leave a bit early and miss the cinnamon toast and homemade ice cream breakfast!

Families are forever!! :) What a blessing!

Angie said...

What a warm, family-fun time you had. I love hearing about your get-togethers and - even better - seeing the pictures. I'm just trying to imagine 83* this time of year!

Thanks for calling me the other day Lura. It means so much to me that my name came into your thoughts across all those miles.

love, Angie, xx

Gloria Baker said...

I said this before but I have tell you again; You have one of the most beauty and wonderful family I know, the pictures are absolutely nice, hugsss dear, love yah! gloria


Note:Finally daughter decide keep in the school that she go, we hope in God she will be OK the next year. huggs

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I love the pictures.

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!