Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran's Day. The day that we are suppose to stop and pay tribute to all the men and women that are serving or have served in our armed forces.
We pay special tribute to those patriots who gave their all.... even their very lives....
that we may live in freedom.
...
My English blog friends told me this past weekend was Remembrance Day in England when they honor their veterans.
I think I like their name for this holiday better... for we should all remember our veterans.
...
I fear that we sometimes don't remember...
That we forget the great sacrifices that have been made and are still being made for us by our armed forces.

So not matter where we live lets remember those brave men and women who have served their country and given so much that we may live in freedom.




No matter what free country we live in....or flag that we fly....
Lets fly it proudly and not take it for granted.
...
I love our flag and all that it stands for.

I love seeing our flag as I drive around.
I love all that it represents.
I am thankful to all our service men and women who have fought that it may wave.
...
Here are a few facts about our flag.
...
*On June 14, 1777, the Continental congress passed the first Flag Act. "Resolved that the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation"
...
*The Flag Act of January 13, 1794 provided for 15 stripes and 15 stars after May 1795
...
*The Flag Act of April 4, 1818 provided for 13 stripes and one star for each state, to be added to the flag on the 4th of July following the admission of each new state, signed by Pres. Monroe.

*On June 24, 1912 an Executive Order of Pres. Taft established proportions of the flag and provided for arrangement of the starts in six horizontal rows of eight each.
...
*On Jan 3, 1959 an Executive Order of Pres. Eisenhower provided for the arrangement of starts in seven rows of seven starts each, staggered horizontally and vertically.



*On august 21, 1959 an Executive Order by Pres. Eisenhower provided for the arrangement of the stars in nine rows of stars staggered horizontally and eleven rows of stars staggered vertically.

No one knows with absolute certainty who designed the first stars and stripes but Francis Hopkinson seems the one most likely to have done it. Historians believe that Betsy Ross, a seamstress, made the first flag.
...
Until the Executive Order of 1912 mentioned above, neither the order of the stars nor the proportions of the flag was prescribed. It was left up to the flag maker. Consequently flags dating before this date sometimes have unusual arrangements.
...

Americans
Lets post our colors proudly and say in one voice

..
"I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all"


I just read a great poem about veterans on Grandma B's post. I hope that you will drop by her blog and read it. It is really touching and very true.
.... God bless America...
*This information was compiled by Duane Streufert.

15 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Great post!! AMEN!!

Grandma B said...

Wonderful post....we spent a few hours with our grandson and granddaughter yesterday, and it was nice. Our grandson is doing fairly good....made of good stuff...LOL

Grandma B said...

Wonderful post....we spent a few hours with our grandson and granddaughter yesterday, and it was nice. Our grandson is doing fairly good....made of good stuff...LOL

hoLLy said...

what an awesome post lura. i am so grateful for our veterans that have fought for the freedoms we are so blessed to enjoy. and i am so grateful for those men and women who serve today. may God continue to bless this great nation with these wonderful freedoms!

Tricia said...

Amen! My father was a WWII vet, and I know how much it meant to him to be thanked for his service by complete strangers. He could never tell a story without tearing up, he loved this country with everything he had. I honor every single person that has ever served, whether they saw action or not, whether they liked it or not.

TUTU Monkey said...

What a lovely post.....!!

I hope you are having a wonderful day.....if you can check my blog before 4pm...enter a fun drawing...:)

The Blonde Duck said...

Well said.

Kris said...

I LOVE AMERICA! Just seeing our flag can bring teary eyes. Thank you for the reminders.

Lynell said...

What fun facts. I loved reading your post! Thanks for the fabulous reminder. I love you Mom!

Marie Rayner said...

Wonderful post Lura. I have been such a bad blogger this week. With everything that's been going on at home and then my boss has been particularly brutal this week. (I'll e-mail you) I am just getting in from seminary and YW and Todd is wanting me to come to bed, but I just had to stop by and say hey and I love you. (((hugs))) Will write tommorrow. I hope you are having a great time at the Temple tonight! XXOO

Erin said...

Great post mom! I love our country so much and am thankful for the sacrice so many brave men and women have offered.

God bless America!

Lynne said...

Gosh you have had a busy time since I last visited.
I found the facts about your flag interesting. I've been meaning to do a bit of research on it to find out it's origins. I've been reading a history of American quilts and I find it fascinating. It then makes you want to find out more about those times. So thank you for that.
I thought the photos of Dave and his family were particularly lovely. I think Emma is going to be great at sewing, just like her Grandma.
Lynne

Patty said...

I love our great country too and am so thankful for all who have served to keep our country free. I loved your post!!

Grandma B said...

Dear Grammy Staffy...I have been thinking of you while watching the news about the fires. Are you alright? Is your home near where the fires are? Pray you and John will be alright and keep out of harms way. LOL

Sherrie said...

That was a beautiful post. Reg is the most patriotic man I know, he even went to our town parade by himself. He loved your blog as well.