Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Sunday Six on 11/9/08

Hello again everyone. I've had so much to smile about in the past two weeks that my cheeks are sore from grinning.
As most of you know John and I have been visiting our son and his family. Today's Sunday Six is a mini review of our trip so it is long. (If you get bored just look at the pictures.) I plan to give you even more detail about our visit to David's in a future post...so be forewarned!!!
...
#1 I am thankful that we are retired and can travel ...smile..smile...
Here we are, bags in hand, heading out the door. (on a school day no less)
...
It is wonderful that we can take off any time we want to go and visit family. This was not the case when we were both teaching. There are some weeks that a teacher can not take off no matter what is going on. There were many times that we had to miss family events just because we could not be away from school that week (Like my grandson Jordan's graduation).
There were many times that I went to school when I was almost too sick to hold my head up because I could not have a sub do my job that day. What a blessing to be retired and able to fill our days with whatever we want.
...
I am happy that we could fly to visit David and his family.
Actually flying is rather a pain these days. Did you know that American Airlines charges $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second? ... and you almost have to check one bag because there are so many restrictions on what you can take in your carry on bag.....
...but...
all of that aside...it was great being able to go from our door to our son's house in just over 11 hours travel time (that includes the waiting times we spent in airports) instead of the 3 1/2 or 4 days it would take us to drive to see them....
Yes in deed....Air travel makes me smile.
...
#2. I'm thankful for the warm welcome we always get.
We feel so blessed that each of our children and their spouses make us feel welcome in their homes. Thank you Marla for your sweet hospitality. Gracee and Emma greeted us with not 1 but 6 welcome cards.
Did we feel loved or what!
...
3. I am thankful we could enjoy the Fall weather and scenery.
...
(We don't get much of either of those in So. CA.)
We had so much fun going with David's family to pick out pumpkins.
(By the way, in case any of you are wondering what our David looked like at age 3 take a look at little Davey. He is the spitting image of his dad. In fact we showed the kids some pictures of David at that age and they all thought it was pictures of little Davey....Davey is a David carbon copy for sure.)
After each child found just the right pumpkin (which took quite a while...it is not easy picking the perfect pumpkin when there are so many to look at)...we enjoyed a great meal at the farm's country restaurant.

We enjoyed sight seeing in the beautiful country side.This is the road from David's home to the kid's school.
The Fall leaves were so pretty.
' We went on walks and soaked in the gorgeous views.

Can you see John turning around to see what happened to me, his walking partner? I stopped for a minute to take pictures of the scenery. I was clicking away and didn't realize that John was so far ahead of me. When I caught up to him he said "Getting blog pictures,huh?" Yep I was.

This is our Dave, Marla and the kids


The kids adore their dad. (So do I.)

Of course these last 3 pictures were my favorite Fall scenes.

...
#4. I'm thankful that I enjoy sewing and can teach my grand-daughters.
I was happy that I got to see Emma and Gracee in the Easter dresses I made them last spring. I had seen pictures of the girls in their dresses but this was the first time I got to see them in person. Lynell brought Lonica's dress too so the 3 girls could dress alike for church. That made me smile....


...but not as much as teaching Emma how to sew.



Emma called me before we left CA. and asked me if I would teach her to sew while I was visiting.











What a pleasure for me to teach this sweet grand-daughter a skill that has brought me so much joy in life.






Emma loves to sew and she has a real knack for it.
She made 4 pillows that spell her name, a dress and purse for her doll and a Christmas present for her mom while I was there. Almost every day she would run home as fast as she could from the school bus stop so we could start sewing.

Davey also appreciates his sister's sewing creations.


#5. I'm thankful that Erin and Lynell could join us.

Emma knew that both sets of grandparents were coming from CA for her 8th birthday and baptism but she did not know that two of her aunts were coming from Utah.
...
The kids were so surprised when Erin knocked on the door. (notice John was taking video from the other side. If you want to see it go to Erin's blog)

Lynell gets a big hug of welcome from her little brother.
..
I was really smiling that I got to visit with Erin and Patrick and Lynell and Lonica as well as Dave and his family. We also really enjoyed visiting with Marla's mom and dad. We all had a great time together. It was 99% perfect....the only thing we lacked to make it 100% perfect was Mindy. We missed having her there and wished that she could have made the trip from CA. and been there with us.

#6. I am thankful that we could be there for Emma's baptism.

Of course this was the whole reason for our trip.
Our sweet Emma was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints last Sunday evening. I thought she looked like an angel in the confirmation dress I made her. (I was so glad that it fit. It is not easy sewing long distance.) She is a merry little Mormon if I ever saw one.

We had a lovely baptism service at the church attended by family and many friends. Lynell and Erin gave beautiful talks and Emma sang a heart touching solo. It was a wonderful occasion that will always have a special place in my heart.

You can see why I have had so much to smile about. I do not take these blessings for granted. I have dear friends that do not get to have these kinds of experiences. I know that their hearts long to do so. I thank my Heavenly Father every day for these blessings. I am so grateful.

I hope that you have had lots to smile about too. Please leave me a note and let me know how you are doing. Hugs, Lura

P.S. Several of you have mentioned that you like my Sunday Six sign. I will be glad to make and email a personalized one to you if you would like me to. Just leave me a comment on this post and I will send you one.

15 comments:

Kris said...

So glad you are back and Blogging.
David's family is beautiful. I especially love the photo of him with the children.
Also, I see that Marla's parents were there. We haven't seen them in a couple of years.
AND how wonderful that Erin and Lynelle could be there.
Such JOY!!!!!
So happy for you!
See ya in a few minutes!

Jan's Blog said...

You have a lovely family, and are a beautiful seamstress. I love your Sunday Six. I'm SO jealous that you will be with Kris in a few moments...I miss her so in between visits. I can't wait to meet you on my next trip to California!

Erin said...

Hi mom... It was such a great trip! I wish it could have lasted a bit longer! Luckily we will all be together for Christmas!

Love you!

Tricia said...

You have such a cute family! You are such an amazing seamstress! Really, that dress is an heirloom, as are all the many other dresses and things you've handmade with such love! Above and beyond that, the knowledge you're passing on is priceless! Have a great week! Enough exclamation marks! LOL

Tricia

Sherrie said...

The pictures of David and his family are darling. I love the ones with him the kids and the leaves. It's so professional! Your blogs are amazing.

Marie Rayner said...

I would love a personalized Sunday Six sign Lura. You have such a wonderful family my sweet friend and I am sitting here with tears in my eyes after having read this entry. My heart aches, both with joy that you are so blessed and don't mind sharing these blessings with us all and also with the ache of loss, the loss of my own family. It's hard and I sometimes falter and find myself asking God why I had to lose mine, if I was doing the right thing. But then I stop and think so many others have given up so much more and I kick my own arse and move on. I love you to pieces my friend and can't wait to talk to you again on the telehone one day soon. That's if you ever sit still in one place for a time! haha XXOO

The Blonde Duck said...

You've got a lovely family! It sounds like you're having a wonderful time!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

You always come up with the best things...you have so many to be thankful for...how do you narrow it down to 6?

Patty said...

You have such a beautiful family! You guys are so lucky to be retired and able to travel and see your family. I loved the pictures you took of the scenery. We don't have that beautiful scenery in the fall. It still looks like summer here. I'm glad you had a wonderful week! Good luck with all those protesters. I have been hearing a lot about them.

Baak Talk said...

Lura, I was just telling Erin that I can't believe how grown up our brothers are! I love looking at John's blog and peeking at Dave & Adam's. Can you believe they are the same boys that almost ran off sunday school, seminary and cubscout leaders? I tell my sis-in-law that on that day when she gets a call from the seminary teacher that she just can't take it anymore that there is still hope, look how her husband turned out!

What fun it was you could all be there!

hoLLy said...

it looks like it was a wonderful trip! the scenery up there is gorgeous-those pictures were beautiful. and your grandkids are adorable! the dresses you make them are amazing!

glad you're back-the blog world isn't the same without you!

Lynell said...

Hey Mom, Love your Sunday Six. Wasn't Kentucky awesome! I had such a great time. Can't wait until we can all be together again.

Oma aka Meme said...

and I am so thank filled that you shared these pictures with us and what a great trip you had-here our leaves are all gone to ground now and we are waiting for the snow- we do need the moisture - I cannot sew but I can appreciate your sewing - hugs from Canada
Meme

Wendi said...

What a beautiful family you have.
And what a blessing you can all share in each others lives even when miles separate you.
One day you must visit NC so you can teach me to sew....I will even throw in homemade cards and warm greetings?

Sheba's Mommy said...

I am glad you are able to travel too...we had a good time watching Heidi, she is such a sweet girl!