Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Sunday Six this 11/16/08

1. I am thankful for friends that set good example for me.
This is Fran and Dee standing beside John and me. We have been friends for many years. They live in Utah now (tear) but they came to visit friends and family in CA. last week before they leave on their second mission which will be to Australia. They will give service however it is needed just like they did on their first mission which was to Rhode Island, USA. They will be gone 1 1/2 years. They do this completely at their own expense with no compensation of any kind.... not even for housing. They do it because they want to serve our Heavenly Father by serving His children. I am thankful for friends that love the Lord and serve Him.

I had a little open house for them so they could visit with CA folks while they were here. Friends dropped by throughout the evening to say goodbye and wish them well.

Kris gives Fran a hug.

Kris is another sweet friend of mine that always sets a good example for me to follow. Having nice friends to associate with makes me a better person and makes me smile.
...
2. I am thankful that my home is large enough to entertain guests in... and...
3. I am glad I can set pretty tables.

This was not always the case. After my father deserted our family when I was 7, my mom struggled to support us. We lived in many tiny places. We lived in a garage apt. different basement apts., and rented rooms before my mom saved enough to buy us a little home of our own. My dear mother did the best that she could to make our rented room or little apt. seem homey but until I was a teenager and we moved into our house, we never had room to entertain or have company. Mother was a very social person and during those years she regretted not being able to entertain others. I think of that each time we invite friends over. I never take having a house with plenty of room for granted. Having a home that I can entertain in makes me smile....and I bet my mom is smiling down on me too.

For special occasions I turn our game room into a buffet room.
...
Our home is not new or fancy but it is plenty large enough and laid out well to accommodate entertaining. In the 28 years we have lived here our kids threw endless parties. Almost every weekend we had something going on. With all my kids grown and gone my old house is quiet most of the time now....but I really do love it when I have the opportunity to dress her up and invite friends to come over.

I turn the shuffle board and air hockey tables into serving tables.
It works out quite well.(Except we can't play shuffle board or air hockey.)
...
Each time I set a table I think of how my mom saved pennies and sacrificed in order to buy a few dishes at a time.She used to go to garage sales picking up a pretty bowls and plates here and there. How she loved setting a pretty table. We never had nice china or matching place settings but she always did the best she could and our table was set with love. I remember her telling me that it was "tacky" to put a milk carton on the table. To this day, I would not do so.....she might look down from heaven and be displeased. My mother was such a "fine lady" in spite of being a dirt poor minimum wage earner.
Sometimes if I need more space in the front room I move the dinning table into the game room.
Then I can fill up the dinning room with chairs.
That is what I did this week when we had the Young Women in Excellence program at our house. I needed to seat 30 people in my living room. By putting 16 chairs in the dinning room area I was able to get everyone into the front room. We were cozy but we all fit. That made me smile.
...
4. I love working in the Young Women's program in our church.Since most of our girls graduated last June and went off to college we only have a small group of young women left....but they are the best little gals ever!
As I mentioned, we held our Young Women in Excellent program here at our home this week. I am the Personal Progress leader. I help the girls set goals in different value areas and work to accomplish them. During this Excellence program the girls gave talks about their projects and what they had learned from the service given. How I love these girls.
After the spiritual part of the meeting (in the front room), we adjourned to the buffet room (the game room) to look at the girl's project displays and chowed down on goodies.

I am still smiling as I think of the nice evening we shared together.
...

5. We got all three of Mindy's kids for a sleep over on Veteran's day.
v Since EJ and Claire were off from school Tues. they asked if they could come and stay with us. Of course we were delighted. Before going to sleep we always watch a Disney movie and have hot chocolate and popcorn.. fun...fun...fun....smile...smile..smile
...
6. I am thankful for our brave fire fighters.
Perhaps you have heard about the terrible fires that we have raging around us again. We have had those awful, hot, dry Santa Ana winds blowing for several days now. Sometimes the winds are up to 70 mph. The hot, dry winds and parched earth invite fires to flare up all over....then the winds make them spread quickly over large areas.

Unfortunately we have fires all around us today. Thousands of acres and hundreds of homes have burned. My heart goes out to those who are now homeless. The church is rallying to help them. I can not even imagine what they are going through. I am so thankful that the winds have not brought the fires closer to us.
This is the view from behind our home. This fire is about 4 or 5 miles from us. It is sad and scary.
I am in awe of the firefighters that put their lives in danger fighting these raging fires in 90 degree weather. I can not even imagine how hot and difficult it is for them.
I pray for them to be safe. Their willingness to serve others brings a tear to my eyes as I am smiling in thankfulness for them. Please pray with me that the wind and fires will end soon.
...
That is my list for this week. Please take a minute to let me know about your week. I have missed hearing from several of you. I hope that all is well. Hugs to all, Lura

21 comments:

Grandma B said...

OK...now I am getting concerned...was watching the news and they said the fires were now in Riverside County. Noticed the fire was on 4-5 miles away..but with the Santa Ana winds, do they move fast? Hope you are alright...LOL

hoLLy said...

you sure know how to host a party! those tables look so beautiful! and i agree, good friends are definitely something to smile about:) i smile when i read your blog everyday!

stay safe-i hope those fires calm down!

Amandawhatever said...

hi i am amanda you have not meet me but ya i am lonica's friend and i wanted to meet to go on to my blog:

www.thisisthelifeofamanda.blogspot.com

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

You do have a lot to be thankful for. And I think many of us have parents or grandparents who made due with so little and we call can take a lesson from them.

I sure hope the winds keep away from your area! PLease keep us informed!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so nice of you to host a party that big. My head would have spun around!

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I, too, am worried about the fires and your lovely home, but mostly about you and John! I hope you are safe my sweet friend. I loved all the pictures of you with your friends and also of the Young Women. We have a real challenge here. We only have two young women that come out with any regularity. One that comes sporadically and that's mostly just to see the boys at mutual, and then we have several inactive ones. It's hard sometimes and I really feel badly for the ones that do come. We try to make it as fun and interesting for them as we can, but it would be so much better for them if it was a larger group. The church is not that large over here so quite often they are the only ones in their school that are members. You are such a wonderful hostess and leader. I am in awe of you. I Love you to bits. Please let me know you are ok. XXOO Saying prayers.

Kris said...

Your home is always a beautiful. Before we arrived to see Fran I imagined the beautiful tables and decorations you would have created knowing they would be amazing. Sure enough! Your mother would be pleased and proud to know that you a gracious and lovely mother, grandmother and friend. Your home speaks it loud and clear. Your voice is feminine and lovely. You are an amazing 'connector' with people. Thank you for your blog. Thank you for sharing your sweet view of the world.
Love!

Kim said...

I always love your Sunday Six! I usually get to read them Monday morning and it seems like it extends the spirituality of Sunday one more day. Thanks!

Erin said...

You are the hostess with the most-est! You know how to throw a party!

Are the fires getting closer? That is scary!

I love your Sunday Six... it ALWAYS makes me smile!

Love you mom!

Lynell said...

Wow! Good for Fran and Dee! They are a great example. Your house looks great. Will you bring some linens up when you come. I think we could have about 30 people for Thanksgiving and I would love to be able to set nice tables for them all. But, I can't afford to go and buy everything new. And your so good at that kind of stuff. Maybe that could be your assignment.

I love you mom. Keep us posted on the fires. We are watching them in the news. So sad to see those who have lost everything!

Jan's Blog said...

As always, I love stopping by to read your Sunday Six. My but you do set a lovely table, and have lovly friends and family. I too look to my darling Kris and follow her example!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Once again....another fabulous list. I can really relate to #3 without too much elaboration.

The parties/gatherings look fabulous.

Amandawhatever said...

hi it is amanda rememmber you did a comment on my blog i just wanted to say thanks for coming on there when ever you commonet me i will do the same thing well see ya

love amanda mingl

Amandawhatever said...

Hi again remmemmber my name is amanda thanks for makeing another comment on my blog again loni is doing better and better at dance every time well see ya love amanda mingl

Anonymous said...

I want to say that I am grateful for you! And how lucky for those Young Women to have you there with them! The food looks so yummy!! Please be safe with all those fires around.

cyndi/mom/nana said...

Thank you for sharing such beautiful insight into your home and your life. You have done a great job on your decorating and entertaining. It's always nice when you can do that in your home it makes it more cozy. Stay safe and we keep all of you in our prayers. We have a daughter in the Laguna area as well, we used to live there and those fires and Santa Ana winds are fierce. Always in our prayers.

Luigi said...

Hi Lura
I hope the fires stays away from your house and garden!! keep us post!!

Love
Luigi

Sherrie said...

It was so fun to see Fran and Dee. How nice of you to have such a nice get-together with "Beautiful Tables" and food. If you talk to Fran please tell her hello from us.

bows and more said...

I really love blogging! And I have to say that in all honesty yours is one of my favorites! I love your huge heart and can feel your love from every post! I love the spirit I feel when I come to your blog! You sure do have a beautiful home! I am sure your home has a feeling of love just like your blog! Just want you to know I think you are really special! Love ya, Kelsi

Loni-Loo said...

i am glad your having a good time at your house and are having some visiters.your house is lookin good too. well sorry i haven't commented you for a while but you know how busy i am well nice to talk to you again. ilove you so so so so so much. see you this next week. bye!!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxmuah

Baak Talk said...

how fun to see familiar faces I haven't seen in a while. You all look the same; Kris, Lou Ann (Is that sis mcphie's first name?) and Fran!)

I sure luv you ladies!!