Friday, April 25, 2008

I love my solar powered dryer.

Shannon reminded me that it was Earth day last week. On her blog she asked what we do to support the cause. Well...we own a Prius hybrid car.....but I don't think that really counts because we didn't get it to "save" the earth. We bought it (and I love it!!) to get 44-50 miles per gallon. Not bad now that gas is $3.89 per gallon in our area and we are on a retirement budget.



However, I do love to using my solar powered clothes dryer. I use it most of the time unless it is raining. It saves me money and wear and tear on my clothes. When I use it my clothes and bedding have a wonderful fresh fragrance and crispness that I love. My clothes come out almost wrinkle free and require very little ironing. Claire loves to help me use it when she is visiting just like I helped my mom when I was young. Probably most of you reading this blog will not relate or appreciate my love for my solar dryer, but if you've ever used one you may understand why I like it so much. I've made sure that I've had one installed in each house we've owned. It works great and I recommend it to everyone.


7 comments:

Grandma B said...

YAH !!! for your solar dryer..wish I had one also. I can still remember how wonderful clothes smelled when taken into the house...isn't it funny, just reading your blog brought back that wonderful memory. The thing I remember most, is the smell of the sheets and towels.

Gas here is now at $3.42 a gallon. Needless to say, we will be taking the Front Runner to Salt Lake City when we go. We need to re-think this using the car bit. Never thought I would live to see these times....rationing of food now going on..and the price of gas so high. I can remember back when I was a little girl, how frugal my parents were, and I am now thankful I learned the lessons from them. It will serve us well in these unsettled times.

Ned and George are great..we are all just waiting for some sunshine. Our flowers are trying so hard to bloom, but they need some help.

Have a wonderful day.....

Wendi said...

You are way ahead of the times! How smart are you!
My "Claire Bear" says hello back to your "Claire Bear".
Have a great weekend!

Erin said...

Gosh, I miss the smell of sheets that have been dryed in the sunshine! Patrick said we could install a clothes line but I could only use it for part of the year... boo!

I remember hanging clothes with you when I was just a girl- good times! I remember you would always talk about Grandmother and how much she loved hanging clothes on the line, I loved that!

Shannon said...

That is so funny, I didn't see the photo until I finished reading your post. I was thinking, I've never heard of a solar powered dryer, why not the washer too....Okay I get it. I rememer my grandma hanging clothes to dry but she didn't rub off on my mom in that area. Fun that you are passing this "green" idea onto your grand daughter.

hoLLy said...

wow, your gas prices are a lot higher than ours! you're in california right? everything is more expensive there. we could never afford to live there! north texas is about 3.49 right now. still, geesh, whats up with that? anything over 2.50 a gallon is crazy in my opinion. what happened to the days of 1.19. . .sigh. . .

i love your "solar powered dryer" :) thats a great name for it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with how much better the clothes smell. I do that with all my jeans. Wish I had a backyard to do it with more of my clothes!

Lynell said...

I miss clothes dried on the line. You are awesome!

Gas prices are crazy. It is costing me $150 a week to drive my suburban. I need a new car!