Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Heart Like His

f
I know that February, our Valentine month, is over. However, I just finished reading a great book entitled, "A Heart Like His" by Virginia H. Pearce. The message of the book is that as we open our hearts to others they feel God's love and we in turn feel it too. The book does not advocate us making bread and taking it to all our neighbors. It states that we can open our hearts to others by smiling, asking questions, showing interest, being friendly, etc. without adding any new jobs or burdens to our busy lives. In fact the book points out that opening our heart invigorates us and having a closed, withdrawn heart fatigues us. I recommend this book to all of you.


My mom, Elizabeth Gordon, had a "heart like his." She saw good in everyone and made friends as she stood in grocery lines, waited in doctor offices and even got prank telephone calls. While she was living with us the last year before she died some teenagers started making prank calls to her number. After the third call, she told the girls that she was an old lady with health problems and it was hard for her to get to the phone if she was not sitting near it. ( This was before the day of cordless phones.) She asked if the girls were home alone and bored. They told her that their parents worked and didn't get home until 6:30 or later. She told the girls that they could call her any time to visit when they were lonesome or if they had a question but asked them not to make any more prank calls. After that the girls called mom regularly to chat and they all became good friends. They visited mom when she was in the hospital and if I remember correctly, attended her funeral. My mom was a great example of opening her heart and loving others. Even though February is over, I hope that all of us will try a little harder to open our hearts and have "a heart like His."

4 comments:

Silvija said...

Lura,

This was a beautiful tribute to your mother! I should have figured out a long time ago what made you who you are - ELizabeth left her legacy through you! You always open your heart to all those around you. Thank you for being my forever friend! Love, Sil

Lynell said...

Hi Mom,
I love you. Thanks for being such a great example for me. I would love to read that book. I will get it right away. XXXOOO Lynell

Erin said...

Hi Momma, Isn't Virginia Pierce President Hinckely's daughter? I think so- in which case she would have been well taught on this subject!

I miss Grandmother and think of her often. I was only 12 years old when she died, but she is such an important part of my life. What a blessing she was to all of us!

Grandma B said...

Love your blog Grammy. Isn't blogging wonderful. My mother was my best friend. She passed away in 1995, but I still miss her today. She always had such a positive attitude, and always looked for the best in people.