Sunday, August 11, 2013

How to have a perfect Family Reunion

As my readers know, we just got back from our Wyoming family rafting/Camping trip. If you didn’t see my last post, please take a look at it and watch the great video Patrick made of our adventures. He did a great job filming us rafting the Snake River Rapids.

2013-08-03 19.45.48

John and Lura’s family at our Annual Utah reunion

Almost all of our immediate family goes to the river but there are several of John’s family that don’t join us there. We always have a Utah family reunion after our river trip.

2013-08-03 18.05.49

Our family group was in charge of organizing it this year. Since Lynell is our oldest child living in Utah she took charge. She and her family did a great job. Here is what she did. I think these are good guidelines for a perfect family reunion.

1. She reserved a park well in advance. You may not find a good place if you wait until the last minute.

2013-08-03 18.06.392013-08-03 18.07.00

2. She made sure that there are enough covered tables to accommodate everyone.  Lynell had to change the park as more families responded.

2013-08-03 18.05.222013-08-03 18.06.11

3. She made sure every family was notified in advance so they could make arrangements to come.

2013-08-03 19.56.212013-08-03 19.56.29

All of Bill’s, Forrest’s and John’s families were invited.(Can you guess who is the baby of the group still playing tricks on his big brother by holding a hat over his head???) These 3 brothers have a total of 15 living children who nearly all have children of their own so you can see that they are the patriarchs of a large group.  We had children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins…. greats and grands all over the place.

2013-08-03 19.58.21

The old folks…RoLayne, Forrest, John, Lura, Bill and Carol

4. Have name tags for everyone to wear. Have them color coded for each line they descend from. That way no one(especially me) is embarrassed by not remembering someone’s name. I know the names of all my nieces and nephews and their spouses but I don’t always remember the names of their children and grandchildren. Nametags help me out.

2013-08-03 18.07.39

5. Be sure that there is lots of good food but make it easy on yourself.  Each family brought their own main course and a dish to share. Lynell assigned each family to bring a side dish or a dessert. We had plenty of good food.

2013-08-03 18.24.092013-08-03 18.24.24

Lynell rented a snow-cone machine this year.

2013-08-03 18.25.032013-08-03 18.25.46

It was a hit with everyone.

2013-08-03 18.27.342013-08-03 18.29.15

You might consider renting one for your next gathering. Everyone loved the cold treat on the hot day.

2013-08-03 18.14.57

6. Plan a program to introduce new members of the family and announce family activities and accomplishment during the past year. Our Mindy was the M.C. this year. Give each family a time to take part but limit the time because you don’t want the program to drag on too long.

2013-08-03 18.08.002013-08-03 18.08.42

7. Be sure you assign someone to be your family photographer. (Can you guess who our photographer was???)

2013-08-03 18.27.062013-08-03 20.04.50

You want to get pics of everyone attending. You never know if you will be together again. Sadly we have one niece, Joan who was not with us this year because her dear husband, Merrill is dying of cancer. He was well and strong last year. Never take life for granted. Every day is precious…. Document each special occasion.

8. Plan activities that are fun for the different age groups.

2013-08-03 19.02.442013-08-03 19.08.12

We had volleyball and tennis available for the athletically inclined.

2013-08-03 19.14.162013-08-03 19.14.37

Patrick brought his plane which dropped parachutes

2013-08-03 19.15.45

for the kids to run and catch.

2013-08-03 18.04.552013-08-03 18.05.06

Lynell rented this blow up slide which was also lots of fun

2013-08-03 18.12.132013-08-03 18.12.16

for all ages to enjoy. We divided up the cost of the slide and the snow-cone machine between us so it was not a burden on anyone.

2013-08-03 19.16.422013-08-03 19.41.40

For some of us just being together and visiting was all the activity we were up to.

2013-08-03 20.01.34

As I mentioned, we have this reunion every year. It is a highlight of our year. I think it is wonderful for our families from various locations to get together. I especially enjoy seeing all the little cousins playing together. Our love grows as we spend time together. If you are not having family reunions why don’t you start making them one of your traditions. I think you will be glad you did.

I’m thankful for our dear family, both immediate and extended. I feel blessed that we could get together again this year and spend time with them.

I’m back in CA now. Erin and her two little ones came home with us. We are still busy but I will have time to visit you all after they leave.  Have a great week.

Hugs, Grammy Lura

 

9 comments:

hoLLy said...

that looks like the perfect family reunion! my family hasn't done one in a long time :(

bettyj said...

How wonderful was this! Families are so important and it is fun seeing all the activities yours is involved in. Wow!!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Well if you were the photographer you did great. You have a beautiful family and it looked like a wonderful time.

Buttercup said...

What beautiful pictures and what a great time you all must have had together.

I am glad to get to exercise class and so thankful I am able to be there. My prayers for Merrill and family.

Cathyjo said...

Wonderful,lovely picture's.grate post.Good seeing everyone having Fun.Make's me Smile.TY 4 Sharing.ooxx

StitchinByTheLake said...

Great information Lura - and what a wonderful reunion you had! blessings, marlene

LeAnn said...

On my dear friend this was a lovely post. I loved how she organized the reunion. I really liked the name tag because it can get to be a struggle to remember all of the cousins. The pictures were awesome. I would say it was indeed a perfect family reunion.
Blessings, hugs and love from me.

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, what a fun time you have had with your family. I was so blessed to be able to have a taste of what you have when I was to Utah with you those four and a half years ago. Seems like just yesterday doesn't it? You have a truly wonderful family and I consider myself blessed to have met a great deal of them! Looking forward one day to meeting the rest. What great tips you have for a family reunion! I will bear them in mind should I ever have the chance to organize one myself. I live in hope! I did hear from four of the five kids on my birthday this year, which was an added blessing, and your lovely gift was so special and I will not forget it, coz it's a "Forget-Me-Not" kind of a gift. You are such a dear. Sorry I have been slow to play the word game on FB. My computer is not co-operating very well these days! I have enjoyed all the photographs and seeing all those lovely faces! I love you all to bits! xxoo (PS- John makes me chuckle. He's a man after my own heart. I miss you both.)

Sybil said...

What an absolutely wonderful time you all had. What organisation it must all take...I can think of nothing nicer than your family reunions. If only every family lived like you, what a change there would be in this old world of ours.
Congradulations...and thanks again for allowing me a glimpse of your wonderful family xxx