Monday, May 20, 2013

Grammy’s Racing Smiles

a grammy smile

I know that we often hear that we need to slow down and…

IMG_0551IMG_0628

take time to smell the flowers….. but….

SOMETIMES IT IS BETTER TO SPEED UP!!!!  That time is during

Pinewood Derby season!

Each year the Boy Scouts of America sponsor their Pinewood Derby contest.  Each cub scout builds a little car out of a block of pine wood.

Since I have 2 little 8 year old grandsons this year, we got involved with this race twice this spring.

IMG_0341IMG_0340

Here Grampy and Dad get involved in helping Davey make the perfect racing car.

IMG_0359IMG_0360

It is a highly scientific endeavor … each car must weigh no more than 5 oz (I think). They drilled holes in Davey’s car and added weights to get it exactly right. You can see that the “big boys” get just as involved as the young one did.

IMG_0434

After lots of sanding, the car is painted, wheels are put on and the car is ready to race. Davey designed his own car on paper and dad and Grampy helped him build it to perfection.

We left Utah before the big racing day…. Darn… I wish that we could have been there… we heard that Davey’s car did well.

However, we made it back to CA just in time for our other 8 year old’s race.

IMG_0553

While we were with Davey making his car in Utah, Austin and his dad were working hard on his car here in CA.

IMG_0552IMG_0554

Austin and Ernie designed a razor thin car made for speed. Before the big race we met at In-N-Out Burgers to fill our tanks with fuel (and oil). Austin was happy that his cousin Jalen was visiting us from Utah, before he left on his mission, and could be here to cheer him on.

IMG_0556

The competition was tough…. all the little scouts were revving their motors and were ready for their cars to race down the track.

derby 1derby 4

I didn’t get a picture of Austin’s track but I found these on line to show you what they are like.

derby 2derby 3

Round after round the cars sped down the derby track…. eliminating one racer after another until one boy… and one derby car was crowned the champion. This year the boy who came in 1st Place was……..

IMG_0557IMG_0559

Austin!!!!

IMG_0562

We are so happy for our boy. As far as I know, Austin is the first boy in our family to ever come in 1st place.

Way to go Austin and Ernie….you built a great derby car!!!

Now I need to race around and get some work done. Are you racing today too??

Hugs, Grammy Lura

8 comments:

Kris said...

Way to go Austin! Wow....so cute!!
xo Kris

Chatty Crone said...

Way to go Austin! I have to say your brought back a lot of memories about my son and grandson! sandie

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said...

This is my first time to read about this race. Interesting. Congrats Austin! :)

LeAnn said...

Wow, this one brought back some memories of Pine Wood derby's through the years. I loved the pictures.
Congratulations to both the boys on great cars. Congrats to Austin for 1st place. It's fun to attend Grandson's Pinewood Derby. It's a little more relaxing. I hope you are doing well.
Love, blessings and hugs to you dear friend.

Sybil said...

Congradulaions to Austin (and his Dad !!) to make the winning car...BRILLIANT...I have never heard that kind of thing over here but it must be such fun..
Thank you for sharing yet another small part of your family with us.
LOve to you ALL xx

Cathyjo said...

Congratulations Austin.. I have always enjoyed going to watch the Pine Wood derby's when ever I can.
Yes we need to stop more ooften to smell the Rose's.ooxx

bettyj said...

Again, not wanting to sound redundant, I love visiting with your family The love shines!!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Congrats to Austin and Ernie. That's a pretty sweet car! Of course it would win first place!